06 450r woods problems

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year I bought a used 06 450r. The guy who I bought it from rode motorcross but just had a kid and never rode the bike. It had brand new stock everything and not a scratch on the plastics. I just got back into riding after 8 yrs. and many people told me to go with the r instead of the x. A year later I'm not sure if it was the right decision. I've read the posts and done the following modifications

- heavier flywheel

- took rear sprocket up from 48 to 51

- rekluse z start clutch with perch adjuster

The bike seems to be getting more woods friendly and I know I need more ride time but I'm still stalling at low rpm's in tight areas. My first gear feel like second which makes things tough in trials like trails. On open trails :bonk:the bike is a beast and rips. But the low rpms are killing me. And I'm not sure if the previous owner did anything with the jetting. I need some help!!

When I first got my 06, I stalled it all the time on trails. I worked hard to set the fuel screw perfectly and then turned my idle up just a bit. Problem solved. You do not have to have it racing at idle but just a small adjustment faster should make a difference. I love my bike for all the riding I do. I am an intermediate MXer and trail ride(race) all over in Montana. Good luck!

confirm pilot cicuit

If you search stalling is the main problem with these bikes when trying to woods ride. I have an 05 that is killing me. When your trail riding/racing set up for a turn chop the throttle and stall. Also when trying to exit a turn or get over a log and start to open the throttle smooth and stall. Does this sound like yours. I have tried jetting, flywheel weight, same gearing as you, Dr D exhaust with a spark arrester quite core, stage one hot cam and the famous turning up the idle still the same problem.(by the way the only thing turning up the idle did for me was cause it to boil over the faster) Right now I am looking into different ignition from an 04 or 07 they seam to stall less then the 05 and 06's. (from reading forums) From reading the 05 and 06 had a more advanced ignition and MAY be part of the problem. I really like this bike and cant afford another bike right now. I hope to find out what is going on soon. Thanks

If you are stalling a Rekluse at low RPM's, you need to make sure you have it adjusted correctly. If the clutch gap and the perch adjuster are set up properly, you will not stall due to the clutch, so there must be a jetting problem causing the stalling. What jetting are you using?

what are the rpms at idle?.....also what is the installed gap?

I'm assuming all the settings are stock, but haven't checked yet what's your recommendation?

42 pilot 1-3/4 turn out 5th needle from top 168 main

get an adjustable leak jet. What is happening is the accelerator pump circuit is too rich for fast, twichy throttle movements at low RPM. With the AP mod,ALJ and fine tuning the jetting,the stalling will disappear with the addition of a Rekluse. Only way you will stall with AP mod,ALJ,proper jetting and rekluse-would be riding a gear way too high and a hard/low engagement setting and wacking throttle wide open.

I just have a question if all of that is true about the jetting then why does the 09 still have a stalling problem. It is fuel injected. I'm not trying to be a wise A$$ I'm just asking. Dutch when is yours stalling. If its like mine it stalls sometimes while chopping the throttle setting up for a turn. How can the accelerator pump and the leak jet be part of the problem.

My bike is stalling when I'm in real tight trails and I drop the rpm's way down almost to a hault and crack the throttle, CAPUT! I figured having the rekluse installed would have solved the problem but hasn't. When I have the rpm's up high and blast into a turn and brake lock into the turn I can usually blast right out without any lever work. I've turned the idle up a little higher than I feel it should be, which makes me think it has to be a jetting issue. A guy from the CRF only site highly recommended a JD jetting kit for the situation. What's your thoughts??

I forgot to tell you I have the JD jetting, Oring mod and have tried different jetting setups with no help.

Edited by YZFan
I just have a question if all of that is true about the jetting then why does the 09 still have a stalling problem. It is fuel injected. I'm not trying to be a wise A$$ I'm just asking. Dutch when is yours stalling. If its like mine it stalls sometimes while chopping the throttle setting up for a turn. How can the accelerator pump and the leak jet be part of the problem.

The 09's problem is a "flame out" issue. A good re-map and possibly an insert will fix that. The AP delay is a big problem on 06 and earlier bikes. The O-ring mod would fix most of the bog/ stalls associated with it. Do a search on Redbeards AP mod.

I'm assuming all the settings are stock, but haven't checked yet what's your recommendation?

The 06's problem could be "flame out" as well, but I would get your jetting set up better than stock. You need to do the AP O-ring mod for sure, and run a larger than stock pilot jet.

I have a 08 and live in the high mountains of Colorado. I also changed the front sprocket down to a 12 and 51 in the rear. It made all the difference in the world.

I have an 05 set up very similar except without the rekluse and mine rarely stalls. I only trailride.

I know it might not be what your after but think about how much time you spend wide open in fifth. I only use it on the gravel roads during a race and even then its not very much. I run a 53 in the rear because we ride a lot of hatchet type single track and my 09 used to stall just like YZfan said. I have the rekluse pro also and it rarely stalls anymore. The 450r is a good choice for fast woods, it just has to be setup for it and that seems to take a fair amount of money. I recently adjusted the way my Rekluse comes on and that helps too. One other simple thing is to make sure that your idle is adjusted a little on the high side. Hope some of this helps. -Travis

When I first bought my 07(second hand) I was stalling all the time in the woods, so much that I hated the 450r. Long story short I had a clutch problem and fixed it. My bike is stock gearing, pipe, jetting, I only did a boysen quickshot, also I am so much more used to the bike now, I love it, and I rarely stall in the woods now.