07 450 sxf hard start

ok, ive had this bike for a little over a month, rode it 6 times and everytime before i leave my house to go ride i start my bike to make sure it will start. seems im out there for over a hour trying to get it to start. being that its electric start with NO kickstart, which sucks!:excuseme::bonk:

i have a brand new battery with 130 cca

on a maintainer when im not ridding

use 93 octaine

when i go to start i

1. turn the gas on

2 pull choke

3. twist throttle once, maybe twice

4. crank it over 4 or 5 times, but no longer than 5-6 sec each times

then nothing... repeat

i know they are cold natured but so is my 520 but she starts up on the first kick everytime, hot or cold.

Check the jetting. If it´s still stock then it´s too lean where it counts the most (especially for cold starting) ; The pilot circuit. Stock pilot is #40. You need to go to #42 or ,if the weather is cold, up to #45.

To get the jetting really right go buy the JD jetting kit.

ive put a #42 in it already. it doesnt get too cold, around 50* or so, thats why i didnt keep the 40 which is better for >70*. i turned up the idle up a 1/2 turn and that seems to help a little, but once it gets warm i have to turn it down, wants to keep taking off... i just got back from my shop, had a heater set up in front of the motor, that helped too.

but wont be able to have one of those at the track once i drive there.

When I had my 07 505 it was hesitant to start with temps in the 40's and lower. I ran a 42 pilot with fuel screw at 2 1/2 out, (Shoulda just put in a 45 pilot), needle at 4th from top, and 5w 30 wt maxima synthetic oil.

The oil I believe helped the most because these engines need to turn over fast in order to start. Cold thick oil seemed to slow down the cranking speed. I was also religious about keeping the bike on a trickle charger when not being ridden. Run the bigger battery that the bike came with or switch to the size 7 battery.

sounds redundant but definately check valve adjustment, a little out and they are hard starting, try turning out the air fuel screw a full turn and see if that helps. my last yz 450 came with the screw out only 3/4 turn and that thing was a bitch to start, the book said that it should be 1 1/2 to 2 turns out, turned it out to 1 3/4 started first kick everytime after that, worth a try

sounds redundant but definately check valve adjustment, a little out and they are hard starting, try turning out the air fuel screw a full turn and see if that helps. my last yz 450 came with the screw out only 3/4 turn and that thing was a bitch to start, the book said that it should be 1 1/2 to 2 turns out, turned it out to 1 3/4 started first kick everytime after that, worth a try

Good point ! I never mentioned this because i thought it was pretty obvious since he has already played with the pilot jet.

• 5 weeks later...

Well with my new battery it's only turning over for about ten seconds before you can hear a dramatic drop in the cranking and won't start. I end up having to jump it off another battery. BUT once it's running for about 3-4 min I shut it off and it won't start back up. And again I have to jump it.

Any thoughts

thanks