How good do 250 2 strokes do in the woods?

Im looking for a bike and im deciding between a 250f or a 250 2 stroke, but how well do the 2 streokes do in the woods? My buddy said they foul plugs like crazy and he said that the 250 2 stroke in the woods ill not keep up with his yz250f. But i said yeah right.

But i want to hear from the experts.

Does the 250 2 stroke powerbands hit really quick? Because i have seen videos of them and right when they give it throttle it seems like the powerband hit already. Is this true?

thanks! I appreciate you guys helping me out.! All of your comments i highly appreciate!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea man. idk people have their likes and dislikes but 2 strokes are the way to go. love them and will never change . i love them in thew woods just allround easyer and lighter easy to start when your really tired. cheaper! and 250 2 stroke haul dude planty of powerr, i ride a 2 stroke and love it!:excuseme:

Anymore, the 250 2t is not a whole lot lighter than a 250f. That weight loss comes in the form of rotational mass at the top of the engine though, so the 2t really FEELS much lighter than the 4. The power delivery on a 2t that is not tuned very well can be very abrupt, so there is a learning curve there. Throttle control and clutch are key in riding a 2t in tight terrain. The 4t will allow you to be a lot more lazy and still make it through.

A good rider on a 250 2t would have no trouble keeping up with a 250f. Quite the contrary actually. A 450f would be a closer match.

I'm a 4 stroke guy all the way but a 2 stroke 250 does great in the woods and has many advantages over a 4 stoke when it comes to woods riding.

I learned this quick when the local motocross track closed and me and the guys resorted to woods riding. 2 of my friends riding CR250s and me on my YZ450F.... I went from being top dog on the track to underdog in the woods.

My 450 would over heat easy and once that happen you could forget about starting it. The 2 strokes never had any problems.

Both 2 and 4 strokes will foul plugs easy if your jetting is off. We all have spare plugs and tools at the trucks just in case.

If you get a 4 stroke for the woods, get one with electric start and a cooling fan. I ended up getting a KLX250S (a 4 stroke bike) for my woods riding. The KLX250 was a freaking Cadillac for the woods. It has electric start, a coolant fan, and the smoothest suspension I have ever felt. Plus with some minor mods it will put out plenty of easy to use power for woods riding. I was then able to out run my friends that were on CR250s and without using much energy! I loved it!

everything above is good info. i prefer the 2 stroke especially in the wood cause i love light weight and light feeling of it. it will make you work harder somtimes but the yz250 has such a great engine i can go out all day and lug it around or hold on for dear life. ive spent up to around an hour in 1st gear riding single tract and never overheated. the yz is a great woods platform for most but i like the rm250 next to it for woods also if not for the yz engine

I am surprised that the aluminum-framed 2005 YZ250 I just bought is actually HEAVIER (although only slightly) and physically larger than my 2006 YZ250F. It is noticeable when lifting them onto the crate.

maybe, but compare the hp to weight or the torque to weight and the 2t wins always.

i'm not a trail guy at all, 95% just mx. but i do notice that a lot of the top guys riding HS, or enduros are on 2t's

must say soemthing. and the few times i do trail ride, the 4 strokes always overheat a bit.

pretty easy to smooth out the power ona 2t for woods riding, gearing, flywheel, pipe, throw on a trials tire.

Im looking for a bike and im deciding between a 250f or a 250 2 stroke, but how well do the 2 streokes do in the woods? My buddy said they foul plugs like crazy and he said that the 250 2 stroke in the woods ill not keep up with his yz250f. But i said yeah right.

But i want to hear from the experts.

Does the 250 2 stroke powerbands hit really quick? Because i have seen videos of them and right when they give it throttle it seems like the powerband hit already. Is this true?

thanks! I appreciate you guys helping me out.! All of your comments i highly appreciate!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've owned 250 2T, I rode/raced in the woods, it worked well but I like 200's better. I'm faster on them mainly because they keep you honest, on a 250 you can power out of situations and on the 200's it's more about momentum and focus. I think a 250 2T is more user friendly once set up.

I have a 250F and a 200 2T, currently. My 200 will run circles around the 250F, I can only think of maybe two races in our offroad series that I would pick my 4T over the 2T both of those races incorperate motocross tracks, I prefer the 4T power on the track.

I haven't fouled on my two strokes in maybe ten years, and then it was because I was too young to know how to jet my own bike.

The powerbands on 2T motocross bikes can be a bit on/off but that can be fixed with jetting, flywheel weighting and power valve adjustments(ktm).

I can tell you right now once you get a 2T and get it set up for what you do it will be hard to go back to a thumper, just think; light, nimble, easy starting, cheap top ends and minimal maint. Now if were inquiring about moto it might be a different story.

The manufacturers should put cooling fans on all the 4 strokes. I never could let my 04' YZ450 idle too long without it wanting to get hot.

My 06' KLX250S had a fan. When my fan kicked on my friend's bike, a CRF450X, would be boiling over

Do they make decent fan kits that don't cost an arm and a leg for the 4t's? With an electric fan your golden on a 4T. With a heat sensor and proper wiring to the stator through a capacitor things should be perfect for the trails.

Yea you could cut them out, get some decent fans in which the bearings are not so easily exposed to dust. I'd probably put one on each side, just covering the lower half of the radiator. At high speeds there is still excellent air flow above, and at low speeds the fans cool off just enough fluid to keep the bike at regular operating temp.

Use shrink wrap on all the spliced and joined sections of wire, maybe even run them in some kind of other wrap for added protection and should be pretty good.

Where to put the sensor?

Most of the A and B harescramble racers around here are on some kind of smoker (200, 250, 300), and Russel Bobbitt has won the AMA national championship on a KTM 250 smoker. If you are inexperienced, a 250f might be better. But as a rider gets faster and more experienced, the smokers really shine in the woods.

great i ride a 250 xc 08 and love it perfict power down low. the top ride in the series i run wnyoa ride a yz 250 ben bowens you may have seen him get the hole shot at unadilla and i beleave the bike just has been ported and polished and a full pipe. they rock !!