Sign in to follow this  

Supermoto racing questions?

Hello fellow DR-Z owners:

Is anyone here racing an SM on a paved road course (no dirt)?

I would like to use a 400SM next year to race at Willow Springs in Rosamond, CA for WSMC. 5 of the total 9 turns you will probably be pinned full throttle in fifth at high RPM on a DR-Z.

What upgrades do you feel would be necessary for this 2.5 mile track to keep from stressing the motor for such an extended period?

We run the Streets of Willow course three times this year which should not be a problem, but I am worried about using an SM on the big track.

I would like to run a slipper clutch but can the approximate $900 cost be better invested elsewhere?

I have found suspension recommendations here, is there a better link/site?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744871&page=4&highlight=supermoto+racing

Edited by DunlopC

I would think that an FCR carb would prove beneficial, and perhaps an E model ignition box with it's slightly higher rev limit. Is the bike stock at this point?

I am looking at using a bone stock 2005 or 2006 SM right now.

I do plan on setting up the suspension by changing internals and probably a new rear shock. As for other changes I am unsure at the moment

I'd get the valves swapped for some of Ron Hamps coated versions, at prolonged RPMs the stockers are bound to fatigue quicker and go their seperate ways.

I'd get the valves swapped for some of Ron Hamps coated versions, at prolonged RPMs the stockers are bound to fatigue quicker and go their seperate ways.

So you recommend stock valves with some type of coating, or would Ti valves make the valve train more bulletproof?

Ron Hamp has some special steel valves with a ferrea coating, (or he applies the coating that gives them their strength) they're a lot tougher than the standard valves, which are known to come apart in tuned, or motors that live at prolonged high revs.

Ti valves are just as likely to come apart inside your motor.

I grew up in SoCal, and I would say to pick a different bike for willow springs main track. its big, and you already know it's going to be wide open most of the time. the only thing I could think of is to change the gearing to help. (16/38) but unless yo have some mods... it's not going to be as quick off the line.

either way... take some pics.

Will a stock sm even pull redline in top gear?

Suspension isn't going to help you at Willow I don't think. More HP is.

hopefully you are racing other 35hp bikes or you are in for a long day.

I plan on racing Novice Lightweight (500cc or less) which is almost an entire field of Kawasaki Ninja 250s.

Once out of Novice I could run thee different under 500cc classes or 550cc Superbike possibly.

Since posting this I have reconsidered and plan on converting a 450cc (probably CRF) or a Husky SMR.

I only thought to consider a DR-Z SM since the motor is less maintenance intensive versus a 450.

I will post photos once I get this figured out.

What words of wisdom do you have to race in a under 500cc class? I would like to use a SM if at all possible.

Edited by DunlopC

If all you are looking at is Ninja 250's... then no prob... but if some one shows up on a Bandit 400, a SXV 4.5, or any other 450 converted MX... you are going to feel slow. The SXV 4.5 is a 60ish HP bike out of the box, and I don't remember what my old Bandit 400 use to make... but it was able to get into the 120 mph mark without too many problems.

Call me crazy... but I would take that pretty red bike in your avatar out on that track before the DRZ. I know you are out in ridge crest, so you are relatively close to willow springs... but I would find a shorter track for the DRZ.

It's been at least 12 years since I was out there... I'm really surprised that they didn't build a Sumo track seeing that there is miles of open desert around the track.

If all you are looking at is Ninja 250's... then no prob... but if some one shows up on a Bandit 400, a SXV 4.5, or any other 450 converted MX... you are going to feel slow. The SXV 4.5 is a 60ish HP bike out of the box, and I don't remember what my old Bandit 400 use to make... but it was able to get into the 120 mph mark without too many problems.

Call me crazy... but I would take that pretty red bike in your avatar out on that track before the DRZ. I know you are out in ridge crest, so you are relatively close to willow springs... but I would find a shorter track for the DRZ.

It's been at least 12 years since I was out there... I'm really surprised that they didn't build a Sumo track seeing that there is miles of open desert around the track.

I plan on using a 450 converted MX (Honda CRF) or a Husky 450 SMR at this point. I wish I had the RC45 in my avatar too! We are running the Steets of Willow this year for WSMC and I could race the STTARS SuperTT series if I am not in the middle of rebuilding the motor.

Horsethief Mile is Willow's SM track.

Since posting this I have reconsidered and plan on converting a 450cc (probably CRF) or a Husky SMR.

crf 450 FTW.

I only thought to consider a DR-Z SM since the motor is less maintenance intensive versus a 450.

yes and lacking 15hp.

nope,50-52 like any other 450.the 550 however are way faster.

OK... I knew, once uncorked... they were good, but I wasn't 100% on the power of the 4.5.

At the last track day I sponsored at Beaverun, we had a 5.5 show up. He could hold his own relay well on the main track, but once on the front straight... he would get gobbled up by any of the sportbikes. I wanted to take it out for a few laps... but he had engine issues by the end of the day. (no surprise there)

way way off topic

I realy wish some one like Eddie could do what Eddie as done dor the DRZ for the SXV 4.5 & 5.5

they are cool looking bikes and I can get tham durt cheep hear in IOWA becouse no one will tutch tham --- I know of 3 that are brand new with 2inchs of dust on tham in the back rooms at 2 dealerships

way way off topic

they are cool looking bikes and I can get tham durt cheep hear in IOWA becouse no one will tutch tham --- I know of 3 that are brand new with 2inchs of dust on tham in the back rooms at 2 dealerships

+1

I know of 5 or 6 within an hours drive. same thing... a 5.5 will go for $4900 new. (or less)

I would buy a SXv 5.5 SM that is streel leagel even is I have to rebuild it befor I drove is

what I mean is if there is a good rite-up about all the issues and fixes like Eddie and the TT meabets have made for the DRZ400 lock-tight and MCCT how-to's

It's way more complicated than that. It is an inherent design flaw (or two) that kills *XV engines. They need to be completely torn down much more often than any other four stroke engine that I know of. It's not something the average person can accomplish. Much more than some lock-tite and an MCCT.

Back on topic - Under 500cc, absolutely go with a CRF