Sign in to follow this  

vintage trials tlr 200

Hello, anyone out there with any honda tlr 200s ? I'm buildin one up a bit, anybody have any tips or knowledge of what xr200 parts fit it ? thanks Kelly

all the motor parts do look in our archives tons of info,i have a seat and a stock pipe for sale,the kickstart levers suck dont they?

Hi Fester, yeah the kickstarter does suck!! Mine has the stopper broke off and can hang up and stick when starting, I know those can be a real pain when they mess up and you have to split the cases!!! I was wondering if an xr200 kickstarter would fit? I need to heat it and bend it out to miss my oversize foot pegs. I really like my tlr I installed a bodykit from classictrialu.k... Chris Stevens really helped me out on this project. His tank kits look so trick and fit perfect. Could anyone tell me if xr 200 wheels and hubs fit the tlr? The chrome steel stock wheels leave alot to be desired.. thanks Kelly p.s. Does anyone know if theres a vintage trials club in St.Louis, Mo.? Or any other old trials dudes like me in the area?

they always hang up behind the peg!it,s a joke p.m.me with your e-mail address and ill show you my seat i fabricated ,also have a line on an aftermarket pipe ,ill show you in the pics ,huge power gains!with just a pilot jet change,my hubs are laced up to d.i.d aluminum wheels.

Hello, anyone out there with any honda tlr 200s ? I'm buildin one up a bit, anybody have any tips or knowledge of what xr200 parts fit it ? thanks Kelly

IIRC, Most of the XR200 parts fit, the XR heads however have larger intake and exhaust valves, different cams. I just started fixing an '86 up. Previous owner put 32K miles on it. Here are some pics of the disassembly -

http://web.mac.com/ddunton/iWeb/Motorcycle%20stuff/TLR-200%20Disassembly.html

http://web.mac.com/ddunton/iWeb/Motorcycle%20stuff/Scuffed.html

http://web.mac.com/ddunton/iWeb/Motorcycle%20stuff/More%20Disassembly.html

Having a bastard of a time removing the flywheel bolt - air driven impact driver won't budge it. It laughs as pennies stuck between the clutch and drive gears. Any ideas?

You could try heat cycling the bolt a few times to break any bonding from the bolt. Just heat the bolt then let it cool, then heat and cool again. Just make sure you don't break the head off. If it was just a nut on the flywheel you could crack it with a chisel.

I read years ago there was a guy in SoCal that had a machine called a "disintegrater" that could break up any stuck bolt or stud. Man I wish I saved that info. It was in an old Dirt Bike magazine.

Man that thing looks good for 32k miles!!! Mine has 3k and didn't look near that good when I got it. Are you gonna strip it down to a trials bike or keep it street legal? I just removed all the wiring and street junk off mine, looks real clean If you don't mind let us know when you post more pics of youre're resto

Man that thing looks good for 32k miles!!! Mine has 3k and didn't look near that good when I got it. Are you gonna strip it down to a trials bike or keep it street legal? I just removed all the wiring and street junk off mine, looks real clean If you don't mind let us know when you post more pics of youre're resto

The current plan is to keep it street legal and actually turn it into a stripped down street tracker. Put a 18" wheel up front laced to the current hub, or find a front end that fits with a disc brake. Eliminate the airbox, change out the pipe to a high sided one, fit a different tank and seat pan, move the battery down in the frame where the stock exhaust normally sits, etc...

Don't plan on molesting any of the unobtainum bits like the side panels, tank etc. But do need to find a tank that will fit this frame. Anyone know if an old toaster shaped XR200 tank is a direct fit?

I think an early 80's plastic XR 75/80 tank bolts right up so there's a chance the 200 may also. There's a guy who rides our series and that's his setup on his Reflex.

I think an early 80's plastic XR 75/80 tank bolts right up so there's a chance the 200 may also. There's a guy who rides our series and that's his setup on his Reflex.

Thanks!

i bet that looks factory?is his name vern?straw hat chewin on hay?

I read years ago there was a guy in SoCal that had a machine called a "disintegrater" that could break up any stuck bolt or stud. Man I wish I saved that info. It was in an old Dirt Bike magazine.

Do you mean: "electro-disintegrater" (also called "Spark Eroder") ?? There was a TT thread that discussed it:

".......It's a process where the work is submerged in (or sprayed with) water and a metal electrode, held in close proximity to the work, uses an electric current to slowly erode the work. Sophisticated ones are used to finish cavities in complex dies etc, simple ones probably spend most of their time cutting out broken bolts, taps etc. with tube electrodes (in the case of a simple hole)......."

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-473915.html

See if that helps

Here's a company web site that explains their use of "Spark Erosion"

http://www.abtech-precision-engineering.com/spark.php

That's basically a plunger EDM (electrical discharge machining). Not to be confused with wire EDM. It's used all of the time in injection tool building. Most good machine shops should have one. And yes you can use them to remove bolts broken off in cases etc.. if the right shaped electrode is used.

That's basically a plunger EDM (electrical discharge machining). Not to be confused with wire EDM. It's used all of the time in injection tool building. Most good machine shops should have one. And yes you can use them to remove bolts broken off in cases etc.. if the right shaped electrode is used.

Thanks, but to loosen the flywheel bolt as mentioned, is there something that applies an electrical charge or something similar that works on the corroded section of threads between the solid metal parts? Like an electric penetrating oil?

However, I didn't see any mention of reverse hand threads mentioned for this flywheel... if the flywheel is on the right hand side of the engine looking toward the front tire, then the ones I've seen had reverse threads.. My Gas Gas has the flywheel on the left side so it has normal threads.

How many times have we been burned by THAT mistake?? :banghead::cheers:

KMK797 you can ride that trialer in modern events as a novice or beginner line. If you want to stay strictly vintage then look at ITSA(twinshock.com) and Trials Inc. events. Their events are all around and a little East and South of the St. Louis area. You must be an AMA member to ride these. That bike is NOT AHRMA legal as it is too new. Not to hi-jack thread but sounded like you were wondering who to compete with in one of your posts.

The broken bolts can be removed by any company that services machine shops! I used to use Jerry's Tap and Die service in Santa Ana, Ca. The hole and threads look brand new when done.

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to compete in trials just lookin for some ridin buddies in my area thanks again.....kmk797

any one out there have a trials bike they would be intrested in tradin for a 99xr600r? the trials bug bit me hard... can't afford a new one kmk797