Hauling bikes on small utility trailors

Thinking of buying a small utility trailor to transport our bikes on. I currently ride a Pitster Pro X4 and my son has a KLX110. He's getting a KX65 for Christmas and three bikes will be really, really tight in the back of my F-150 Supercrew. So I've been looking for an inexpensive utility trailor. I figure I need at least a 5x8 foot trailor (that would also be large enough to fit my lawn mower if needed). How many of you guys use standard, open utility trailors to transport your bikes? Any suggestion on how to set one up? Pics would be great!

I used to haul a crf 250r, an 85 and two pitster pros on a 5x8 utility trailer, it was tight, but it can be done. Three bikes forward and the last pit bike sideways on the very back of the trailer.

Sorry no pictures

Ive got a small trailer that will fit a yFz450, and a yz250... barely but it works.its great because I can pull it behind my work quad no problem but also use it to haul toys around, its about the size of a truck box, (not short box)

I used a 4x8 trailer from Ho Chi Min Freight for a few years to haul a 250, 100, 80 and 70. I made rails for it. It was tight but we always got our bikes out and back.

Another option for you is a hitch hauler. Put two bikes in the bed and one on the hitch hauler.

I want to go with a utility trailer because it will be so much easier to load and unload the bikes. My Supercrew is a 4x4 with a lift kit and 35 inch tires so it sits pretty high.

I guess my question is about which size I can use. I know bigger is better, but the larger the trailor the more is cost. Can I load minibikes sideways on a 5 foot wide trailor? My first thought was to mount two bikes at the front of the trailor (one one each side) and the third in the center set back a foot or so. How about when my son gets older and the bikes get larger, will a fullsize bike fit sideways on a 5 foot wide trailor or would I need a 6 foot wide trailor?

C'mon, I know a lot of folks out there use utility trailors.

I have a little 4x8 I bought at TSC for $300. Didn't have a floor but I just put a sheet of 3/4 plywood on it. I hauled the 450 and 125 around with it for 2 years. Had to beef up the frame a little bit with some angle. I have put three full size bikes on it. It has a 500 lb limit.

How did you strap down 3 bikes?

How did you strap down 3 bikes?

Stagger them. Also you can get the wheel chock that clamps the front tire so you dont really need straps.

My trailer might be a little bigger than what you are looking for, but check out this thread. You might get some ideas. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784103

a pretty common setup for utility trailers is to use wheel chocks, and eye-bolts.

i used to have a 5x8, but traded up to a 14 footer a couple years ago.

in either case, i made some wheel chocks to bolt on to the front cross bar, then use a wheel chock that you can bolt to the floor of the trailer. if you make them removeable, then you can use your trailer for lots of other things. i put eye bolts in the corners, and in the middle of the cross bar for tie-downs. any time i think i need another eye bolt, i just drill another hole. it's a very convenient set up.

Nice setup Durangoman! Anyone else have any pics?

Search Craigslist for a good older 3 rail. I've had mine for 25 yrs works awesome and is easy.

Have a 4X8 utility trailer with sides and ramp. Works great for a couple of bikes. Just ride them in and tie them down. Good to go. 5X8 would be better still.

Yeah, I could use a 5x8 for other things too. I haven't had any luck finding a used trailor in my area. There are a few for sale, but most people want almost what a new one cost.

make sure if u use eye bolts to weld the end of circle of the bolt, otherwise the can bend open under tension and you can loose a bike. even better is to find some eye bolts that are cast one piece with no opening at the end of the loop just to be safe. another option to wheel chocks is a bar across the front with slots for the wheels. the TT store has them for sale i dont know how to post the link to them but search in parts store page 225 for the cmp truck box bar, they are reasonable and have an adapter for staggering the middle bike back and have eyelet built in for tie downs, just mount it across the front of a flat trailer about 16 inches up and perfect best wishes

very nice set up d-man, that area looks nothing like the peoples republic of china tho... and as much as i love that avatar it is gonna get me in trouble with the little woman... lol.. i have never seen a set like that from the RPC......??

very nice set up d-man,

Thanks

that area looks nothing like the peoples republic of china tho... and as much as i love that avatar it is gonna get me in trouble with the little woman... lol.. i have never seen a set like that from the RPC......??

Look out the window, our country has been sold to the Chinese to pay for stimulus, bailouts, cash for clunkers, etc....

a pretty common setup for utility trailers is to use wheel chocks, and eye-bolts.

i used to have a 5x8, but traded up to a 14 footer a couple years ago.

in either case, i made some wheel chocks to bolt on to the front cross bar, then use a wheel chock that you can bolt to the floor of the trailer. if you make them removeable, then you can use your trailer for lots of other things. i put eye bolts in the corners, and in the middle of the cross bar for tie-downs. any time i think i need another eye bolt, i just drill another hole. it's a very convenient set up.

I just screwed 4x4's to the wooden sides I put on my 5x8 trailer. Two for each bike. Two slots in the front, and one on the rear. I can get three full sized bikes in the trailer. No eyebolts necessary as I just hooked the straps the frame. This also left the floor of the trailer undamaged and open so I could haul sheets of plywoord or other things.

DSCN3823-small.jpg

DSCN3824-sm.jpg

Now, the trailer mostly sits because I use my motovan:

DSCN4358.jpg

DSCN4393.jpg

Edited by ForceTen

I"ve got a 4x8 trailer that I easily haul a full sized bike and my son's kx 65. I also haul around my KTM 400 and a Yamaha Wr250F. One goes in forward and the other backward.

I have also hauled those two big bikes, the kx65 AND a Yamaha TTR110 all at the same time. They actually fit with no trouble at all on that little 4x8 utility trailer.

I do not use any wheel chocks or blocks of any sort. I just strap them down to the rail or tailgate ramp. No problem ever. Very simple and secure.