Sign in to follow this  

Washington Calling all veterans & sons of veterans

If you would like to use your street and/or dirt bike to help support our troops and improve the sport of off road riding in Mason County as well, PM me to get on my list of contacts. I will get back to you with details of the plan after I get feed back from early December meetings with key people, organizatiions and government agencies involved. There is great potential for this to be the best news for ORV riders in Mason County in years. :excuseme:

A unit of the Legion Riders is now forming in Belfair, WA to support our troops and serve our local community thru the use of both on and off road motorcycle events. To be a member of this unit you must have served in an active or reserve military unit at any time during a period of war. You do not have to be a combat veteran. If you are a son or daughter of anyone who meets the above requirement you are also elegible to join our Sons of the Legion unit and ride with the Legion Riders. If you ride with us you will have opportunity to help support our troops and help serve your local community. You may help save the sport of off road riding in the State Of Washington as well.

For information on what the Legion does go to www.legion.org

If you want to join the Belfair Post Legion Riders PM me.

I have been in conference with representative's of the government and the Port of Shelton which controls the Mason County fairgrounds for possible use as a means of fund raising to benefit veterans as well as the community in general, which would include the PSER's continued use to promote ORV events. There are numerous problems with the fairground itself which they want fixed befor it can be used for anything. The easiest fix for the local government would be to lease it to a business or non-profit organization which can afford to fix the problems and then operate the fairgrounds profitably.

That is a huge task but not out of the question. I am now putting feelers out to see if we can generate support for the idea. Time will tell.

What we are doing immediately is forming the Belfair Legion Riders unit to promote casual recreational rides in the Tahuya with veterans returning from our current wars. We see it as a "welcome home" gesture and a service to our newest vets by our older vets.

Sounds like you are in the know with the local government but the County did not renew its lease with the Port of Shelton. With the economy in the condition it is in I doubt a business or non-profit would be able to take over the fairgrounds. My Dad used to work for the county and was the foreman for maintenance and he told me that the fairgrounds buildings need to basically be torn down they are filled with mold and rot to name a few things not to mention lots of pests.

But I wonder why you are limiting the effort by excluding other vets that served during more peaceful times..Im a vet, but not during a time of war.. Does that make me any less patriotic?? Better than that open it up to anyone wanting to help our current war time vets.. You might get the #s you need to make this work..I wish you luck!!

But I wonder why you are limiting the effort by excluding other vets that served during more peaceful times..Im a vet, but not during a time of war.. Does that make me any less patriotic?? Better than that open it up to anyone wanting to help our current war time vets.. You might get the #s you need to make this work..I wish you luck!!

Its not Dutch that is limiting who can join. The Legion has their own rules for who can join just like anyother group and that happens to be part of their requierments.

"Eligibility Requirements for American Legion Membership

If you are currently on active duty, serving the United States honorably, anywhere in the world, or have served honorably during any of the following eligible war eras, we invite you to become a member of The American Legion.

April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)

Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)

June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)

Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)

Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)

Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)

Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)"

*Info found on legion.com

I see the answer to your question was posted. But your point is valid and of concern to me. I am looking at forming what I would call a "Friends of the Legion" unit where you could serve as well. I will keep you posted on any progress. :moon:

do you have to ride a HD for this? seems like every vet and bike event wreaks of chrome and leather.

The Belfair Unit of the Legion Riders will do the bulk of its recreational riding and some of its fund raising on dirt bikes. This unit is as far as I know is the first Legion Rider Unit that conducts veterans activities and fund raising with both dirt bikes and street bikes. Members can pick and choose as they see fit and it will probably turn out to be two seperate sections of the unit. They won't even hold meetings in the same place or manner.

When I jokingly told a vet who rides Harleys that we didn't allow Harley riders

to ride with us his face turned chalk white.:moon: The fact is that we will welcome any thing from 125cc ring dings to crotch rockets and Harleys in the street bike section. It may well be that we will have very few HD's involved.

My main interest is in providing fun recreational motorcycle events for our Iraq and Afghanistan vets as a welcome home from the older vets and others who want to show their support for our troops.

Sounds like you are in the know with the local government but the County did not renew its lease with the Port of Shelton. With the economy in the condition it is in I doubt a business or non-profit would be able to take over the fairgrounds. My Dad used to work for the county and was the foreman for maintenance and he told me that the fairgrounds buildings need to basically be torn down they are filled with mold and rot to name a few things not to mention lots of pests.

The flip side of every problem is an opportunity when we put in the right perspective on it. The mold in the buildings is only the tip of the iceberg.

There are water quality and sewage problems as well. The County is broke and the Port is between a rock and a hard place because the citizens of the county do not want to lose their fairground. Throughout American history some Americans have always come out of the woodwork to address a major crisis affecting their pursuit of happiness. I see opportunity for the ORV users in the state.

I see the answer to your question was posted. But your point is valid and of concern to me. I am looking at forming what I would call a "Friends of the Legion" unit where you could serve as well. I will keep you posted on any progress. :moon:

Having searched the Legion website I can see no reason why you can't be involved with us other than wearing official Legion insignia, which is copyrighted. There is cartainly plenty of insignia readily available to show that you are a vet and you will fit right in.

I have been in conference with representative's of the government and the Port of Shelton which controls the Mason County fairgrounds for possible use as a means of fund raising to benefit veterans as well as the community in general, which would include the PSER's continued use to promote ORV events. There are numerous problems with the fairground itself which they want fixed befor it can be used for anything. The easiest fix for the local government would be to lease it to a business or non-profit organization which can afford to fix the problems and then operate the fairgrounds profitably.

That is a huge task but not out of the question. I am now putting feelers out to see if we can generate support for the idea. Time will tell.

What we are doing immediately is forming the Belfair Legion Riders unit to promote casual recreational rides in the Tahuya with veterans returning from our current wars. We see it as a "welcome home" gesture and a service to our newest vets by our older vets.

I have now been informed by John Dobson at the Port of Shelton that they have a mandate from the Federal Aviation Administration which states that ultimately the entire fairground land must become aviation related. That being the case anything we would accomplish by persuing this idea would be temporary at best. I will now focus on using the Tahuya trails for our troop support rides.

That is too bad. Seems that they would hafta pave over the entire fairgrounds to make that work. Wonder why they need a full on airport there while there is a fine one close to Belfair (Bremerton Natl)?

Seems they prolly would not pave the entire fairgrounds area which would allow us to use it as dirt bike trails.

If not mistaken? the port just had "the triangle", which last time i was there was a bunch of quad stuff. The better single track was off the Port's land.

Anyone can ride with the Legion Riders. You are welcome to join our rides and get as involved as you like helping to promote events. In time I plan to add an enduro and a poker run to the annual NMA series. We will most likely start with promoting road poker runs and possibly a dual sport ride as fund raisers for some of the many troop support missions which the American Legion conducts. We just need a minimum of 10 qualified members to get the Belfair Post 200 Legion Rider unit recognized and registered at the national level. Please note that the Legion Riders is not a motorcycle club. It is a national association of military veterans who served during wartimes who have come together to support our troops and to serve our local communities as well. Legion Riders also raise funds for worthy causes not related to veterans.