Sign in to follow this  

DR 650 won't start

I was running her hard today and noticed when I chopped the thottle and twisted it again she'd miss. I was also getting some stalls in tight corners.

Shut her down and after 20 minutes she wouldn't fire.

I pulled the plugs, they were moist but had spark. I pulled the fuel line and fuel was flowing.

I could get it to fire while holding the throttle wide open but only for a few seconds.

I hope it's a dirty carb issue.

Also, is fuel suppose to flow when the engine is not turning over?

The fuel is supposed to flow when the engine is running via a vaccuum device. When I've removed my tank, no gas ran out of the tank, but I think if the petcock is set to PRIME, it will. If you were running it hard maybe the position of the petcock got knocked into the PRIME position.

The fuel runs out when the petcock is in prime, on, or reserve.

Could this be cause flooding?

If the petcock flows in the ON or RES position without the engine turning it is faulty. Only in the PRIME position should the fuel flow freely. Replace or buy a renovating kit. Inside it theres a spring loaded rubber diaphragm pushing a small o-ring rod to close the fuel. The engine creates a sort of vacum on the other side when turning and the diaphragmrod moves out of the hole and let the fuel flow.

Is the kit for the carb or the petcock?

Would this cause my "No Start"? I do believe it is getting flooded. Lot's of spark and the smell of gas and it fires for a few seconds with the throttle wide open.

Good news. She runs fine with the fuel tank off. So I guess I need a petcock kit.

The constant flow of fuel must be causing a flooding issue.

Good news. She runs fine with the fuel tank off. So I guess I need a petcock kit.

The constant flow of fuel must be causing a flooding issue.

You may still have a carb issue. Even with the petcock in the prime position (or like in you're case any position) the engine should still run properly. It sounds as though you have a float issue or the o-rings for the float assembly are in need of replacement. If the bike has done much sitting around with no fuel in the float bowl the o-rings can shrink and leak fuel by the float needle valve. Flooding, especially at low speed, can result as less fuel is being consumed by the engine than leaks by the orings. In addition to replacing your petcock you'll want to replace the #15 and 16 o-rings below while you are cleaning your carb. You didn't mention the year of your 650 but the following diagram is for any 96 thru 2010 DR650SE. :excuseme:

0010.Gif

I took the petcock diaphram out and cleaned things up. the fuel supply is now working properly.

The air box was full of fuel and destroyed the filter. It seems fine. The float in the carb may have been stuck. I guess I'll order the parts and get them installed before it happens again.

The bike is a '06 with a little over 5k miles.

Where's the best place to order carb parts?

I took the petcock diaphram out and cleaned things up. the fuel supply is now working properly.

The air box was full of fuel and destroyed the filter. It seems fine. The float in the carb may have been stuck. I guess I'll order the parts and get them installed before it happens again.

The bike is a '06 with a little over 5k miles.

Where's the best place to order carb parts?

Any Suzuki dealer can get them for you... right online if you don't have a local dealer. These guys are pretty fair price wise.... :excuseme: