Sign in to follow this  

going to look at an 06 tomorrow

Anything in particular i should look for ? Its suppose to be super low hour one owner. I know the normal stuff like bearings, chain and sprockets in such, but is there anything special i look for on the crf ? He wants 2600. That fair ? I was going to try to get him down to 2400 if it was nice.

have always been told the best bike to buy is one that has been raced.mostly cause they are taken care of.

have always been told the best bike to buy is one that has been raced.mostly cause they are taken care of.

yes that can be true....but i would rather have a well taken care of trail ridden bike than a well taken care of raced machine....jmho

for the most part race bikes are usually going to have newer fresher parts on them, just to be more reliable. i have been racing for a long time, and if your preping the bike for a race, and see something that is even remotely quesitonable it is replaced just to be sure it will be reliable

bike hasnt been raced but according to the seller, motor was just checked out by the stealer and anything that was remotely close to being needed to be replaced was.

I would tell the seller that you want to check the valves. He could have the valve cover off when you get there. Quick and simple. Does it have an hour meter?

yes that can be true....but i would rather have a well taken care of trail ridden bike than a well taken care of raced machine....jmho

me too. Race bikes can be well taken care or not taken care at all. One thing is for certain though, they have been ridden harder than the average bear.

The 06 is an excellent bike. I think if you got if for that price and the described condition, you will be doing good. Good luck man!

I would tell the seller that you want to check the valves. He could have the valve cover off when you get there. Quick and simple. Does it have an hour meter?

yes, if the clearance are off (smaller) that could be a sign of wear.

Be careful though, if the clearances are within spec that may just mean that the owner just shimmed them.

Take a stand with you and spin the wheels for trueness....If I would have done that on my newly acquired CRF250 for my son, I would have caught a very badly dinged front wheel...:excuseme:

I think something can be determined by looking at the neatness of the garage of the owner....if it's neatly organized, stocked with oils, lubes, and tools. Chances are good that it was maintained well....

I coulnd't imagine keeping a bike maintained exclusively through a dealership....

I went and looked at it today and i bought it. Bike is really clean, owner knows what he was doing. Rims are perfect, tires are good etc. Only thing that scares me is the bike smokes a little tiny bit when it is cold. Few small puffs if you give it some gas when it was cold. What do you think that is ? Valve seals ? Goes away when its cold.