I geeked my front rim at 60 mph. Looking for recommendations

I geeked my front rim at 60 mph.

Today I ran 70 miles. During that trip I hit a hidden mini wash. When the front suspension bottomed out and it sounded like a .22 rifle shot. The pictures are not very pretty. The rim didn't crack but, is bent back. The left side is bent back 1/2 an inch maybe even more. The right side is bent back 3/8 of an inch. The front wheel assembly is OEM Honda.

Now I have to decided if the replacement will be from Honda, DID or Excel else.

Any recommendations on hub, spokes and rims and where to buy them?

I never have personally laced a rim.

Thx.

what bike?

The last time i did a complete set,front\rear,spokes and rims it cost about 700(?).(parts only)They were Excel.Good stuff,but it might of been a little overkill for the way i ride.(not a racer)

Ther'e are some rims that are cheaper but,i heard they are really whimpy.

As far as re-spoking a wheel it's real easy.Take a twist tie to each pair of spokes where they cross,remove all the nipples,with the wheel lying flat.Then as you put the new rim on all the spokes will still be lined up.Then thread each nipple on until two threads on the spokes still show.Then tighten each a 1\4 turn until things start to tighten up.Then check for alignment. It should be good unless you have some stretched spokes.

I just saw some Moose rims on flea-bay for 102. "buy it now"price.

I geeked my front rim at 60 mph.

Today I ran 70 miles. During that trip I hit a hidden mini wash. When the front suspension bottomed out and it sounded like a .22 rifle shot. The pictures are not very pretty. The rim didn't crack but, is bent back. The left side is bent back 1/2 an inch maybe even more. The right side is bent back 3/8 of an inch. The front wheel assembly is OEM Honda.

Now I have to decided if the replacement will be from Honda, DID or Excel else.

Any recommendations on hub, spokes and rims and where to buy them?

I never have personally laced a rim.

Thx.

The Excel rims are stronger than the DID from Honda (OEM). You need to learn how to lace rims as rim damage is an almost every ride occurrence! :-)

Seriously, the 650R is a heavy bike and rim damage is very common. The stock hubs are fine and even the stock spokes are OK but I recommend Buchanan's stainless or the Excel stainless. The Excels use a propriotary splined nipple that is great but when you are on the trail not many people with have the spoke wrench for this if you forget yours.

I have replaced the front rim on my 650r with a cr250 rim. I think its 94 to current. It has held up well. You might find one used and ready to go.

I havn't done it yet myself. I do have a small bend so it's a matter of time I'm sure.

It's crazy how things wear out on the woods bikes. If it's not brakes, it's a chain, or a rim, or tires, or this or that. Lots of maintenance, but it's worth the rides.

Pictures are always good, even if they're unrelated. Here's the most recent pics of my XRL.

20091115-005.gif

20091119-002.gif

I have Excel rims on my XR600 and they have been amazing. They are not in perfect shape, but they have taken almost ten years of my severe abuse. They have taken impacts that have broken my OEM rims in the past.

After saying that I'll likely have a rim break in two from a three inch rock.