Sign in to follow this  

125 or 250f?

hi i have ridden both a 250f and a 125 and dont know which to get or what brand for that matter. like the 2007 yz250fs and also love 2 strokes to death!!!! wanted to start racing and im 15 at 5'8 and 165 ish and dont know whats best. i want a two stroke cause there amazing and i also want a 250f but those are big bucks in the motor so i dont know whats best. what do you guys think?

I don't think there is a "best". Each have their place and reasons to like them and dislike them.

Not helpful I know.

250f's are not up to par on the cornering and handling like the 125s are.

125's won't lug around like a 250f will.

250f's are heavier then 125s are.

125's won't have the hook up for racing like a 250f will.

That's just a few things but you'd have to do a lot of research and weigh the pros and cons, and make a deduction to what you think will suit you.

I don't think there is a "best". Each have their place and reasons to like them and dislike them.

Not helpful I know.

250f's are not up to par on the cornering and handling like the 125s are.

125's won't lug around like a 250f will.

250f's are heavier then 125s are.

125's won't have the hook up for racing like a 250f will.

That's just a few things but you'd have to do a lot of research and weigh the pros and cons, and make a deduction to what you think will suit you.

+1 on what he just said.

125 and if you feel that your lacking power $500 later you have a 36-39 hp 144cc beast (thats still legal against 250fs), unless you get a honda then you can only have 139cc on newer ones

+1 to everything said The cheapest way to race is 2-stroke but if money is no issue then its a tough desicsion

I agree with almost everything the guys have pointed out with the exception of a 250F won't corner with a 125. I have a 125 and my son has the new Husky 2010 TC250 and that thing will corner with anything. It is also 213.8 lbs, very light, fast, and much easier to ride fast on. I still love my 125 2-stroke but that bike is a blend of 2 & 4 stroke; handles like a 2-stroke and puts the power down like a 4-stroke.

Because you are new to racing and "dollars spent" on this appears to have a limit, then I would go with the 125.

They (125's) are not only cheaper to race, but they are far lighter and because they carry their weight lower they "feel" lighter and will handle better. Plus, being new to racing you will not be any faster on a new bike vs. a clean and well maintained 5 year old bike.

Save money and have more fun ~ get the 125 2 stroke.

If this is your first year racing, get the 125. It teaches you things the 250f wont. I regret selling my two stroke so quick and am actually looking for another 125 for a practice bike. Sure you will do better on the 250f in the beginning but you wont be getting the valuable lessons the 125's give you. As far as a good 125, I would go with an 06+ yz125.. Maybe even an 05 but the 06 got the upgraded suspension. For a second pick i would go either suzuki or ktm. Ktm probably has more power but lacks in suspension seeing how it doesnt have linkage

If this is your first year racing, get the 125. It teaches you things the 250f wont. I regret selling my two stroke so quick and am actually looking for another 125 for a practice bike. Sure you will do better on the 250f in the beginning but you wont be getting the valuable lessons the 125's give you. As far as a good 125, I would go with an 06+ yz125.. Maybe even an 05 but the 06 got the upgraded suspension. For a second pick i would go either suzuki or ktm. Ktm probably has more power but lacks in suspension seeing how it doesnt have linkage

linkage talk is meh suspension is still good but not on par with the yz and imo neither is the motor comparing 06 to 06

I just bought a 2003 KTM 125 SX. It has more power than I know what to do with right now. Having come off a 9 year pause in riding, it is more bike than I have skill. = )

I drag raced a 2002 YZ144 Eric Gorr kit, beat my buddy consistently by about 2 bike lengths. My buddy does have about 25 pounds on me, so that didn't help his cause any.

I did a lot of asking and searching much like you are doing now, I'd like to offer a sum up to it.

Here's what everyone seems to agree on:

If you can afford a newer bike, do it because they are really nice.

Unless you are an A-Class rider, you won't notice much difference from those older years, like a 2003, to the newer bikes.

Almost everyone seems to love the '06 YZ, and newer, bike number one reason seems to be awesome stock suspension.

For your first bike, spend as little as possible.

That's pretty much the sum up of everything I've read and asked on here.

As far as my own bike searching, go to like cycletrader.com and look up 2007 CR125s and 2007 RM125s (Suzuki and Honda). The prices for those bikes, never ridden, are pretty awesome. Use those prices as guidelines if you plan to buy new, if you want a YZ above all... do some googleing for a 2007 and haggle the price down to what those CRs and RMs cost new.

If you want to read up on those 2003 models you have posted, here is a shootout for 2003s.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/499/Motorcycle-Article/2003-125-MX-Shootout.aspx

It is a good read, just keep in mind that the opinions of the reviewers might not match your own.

To give a solid answer to your last question here, you would do just fine with a 2003. I would personally look for a KTM if you are going that year, but a lot of the reasons why are kinda splitting hairs.

why would you spend as less as possible on your first one to only regret buying it when you could of got the better bike for a few hundred more?

why would you spend as less as possible on your first one to only regret buying it when you could of got the better bike for a few hundred more?

Well, a few hundred more is an understatement. I bought my bike for 1500, a few hundred more wouldn't have paid for my shoei helmet.

That aside though, there are many points to buying used;

1) when one isn't certain what they will and will not like, spending less is smart.

2) when one isn't a Ricky on the track, paying for the "extras" is only good for bragging rights.

3) would one rather crash and learn on a brand new machine that cost 5k or more, or one that only cost 1k or 2k?

4) working on bikes can be fun, and one learns a lot doing it. if one breaks something, spending more money after just spending 5k or more tends to be upsetting.

5) unless one is good enough to notice the 1 inch less of under steer from a new steering head angle, or the difference in 2lbs shaved off the weight, or an addition of 0.5 horse power... justifying 4 grand more for a bike is difficult to do.

6) the money saved can be spent on protecting the most important aspect of the bike... its rider.

The points to buying new;

1) Bragging rights

2) you want the latest thing (aka, bragging rights)

3) you want to be the first to run your bike (aka, bragging rights)

4) you race hardcore and want to win against other new and tricked out bikes on the track (aka, bragging rights)

Don't get me wrong, I would love to buy new always and every time... but no way you cut it, it just isn't the sensible thing to do. It is certainly the cool thing to do, but to the average person it's only justifiable by four words "I had the money".

And remember this is a conversation for 2 strokes, not 4 strokes. I would never buy a used 4 stroke, unless it was owned by a buddy of mine and I knew everything the bike had been through.