Sign in to follow this  

Knowledge of vintage bikes? Bultaco

Not sure if this is posted in the right spot, if not move it please.

So here's the story. My dad bought this 1973 Bultaco Alpina 250 from a friends wife after the friend passed away in 1980. He was the original owner. My dad kept it and restored it around 1999. He rode it a couple times and passed away in 2002. Since then, it has been sitting. I havent started it since my dad passed away and just really haven't done much besides try to fit an old YZ250 fender on it about 5 years ago for fun. I've held onto it for the sentimental value, but it really isnt doing me much good sitting in my mom's garage and she wouldn't mind seeing it go (I no longer live with her and live 2 hours away). I'm thinking of selling it, but don't know where to start. It will run I know it, but don't know enough about it to get it going again. It's in awesome shape and that's not an issue. it's 100 percent complete minus a front and rear fender. What would be a fair price to start with? i know it's about finding the right buyer and I have all the time in the world. I'm not selling this for the money, I'm selling it simply because I have no idea what to do with it. What do you guys think? Here's some pics from a few years ago, it hasn't been ridden and is in the same shape as shown.

June05004.jpg

June05003.jpg

June05002.jpg

You might ask Vintage Iron in So CA.

http://www.vintageiron.com/

Good suggestion! You may also want to try posting a similar question in the vintage section. I wish I knew more about Bultacos, but I don't. What I think you may want to consider is keeping the bike if you have any sentimental ties to it. My father passed away when I was 15 and at a young age you don't really think of what something means to you. You don't owe on this bike and if storage is not an issue, give it a few years and see how you feel.

The Alpina was trail bike based on the Sherpa Trials bike and had a great following during the years. In the seventies I competed in Timekeeper Enduros and the Alpinas were the tight woods weapon. I current ride with two guys who have created modern day Alpinas by modding Montessa 4 stroke Trials bike, the Montessa uses a Honda Unicam EFI watercooled engine. I think the bike will be an easy sell.

Good suggestion! You may also want to try posting a similar question in the vintage section. I wish I knew more about Bultacos, but I don't. What I think you may want to consider is keeping the bike if you have any sentimental ties to it. My father passed away when I was 15 and at a young age you don't really think of what something means to you. You don't owe on this bike and if storage is not an issue, give it a few years and see how you feel.
That's what I did 4 years ago. He passed in 2002. I've had plenty of time to think and become attatched to this bike and I just can't. I can absoloutly see where your coming from but I just don't see it happening.

Well if you say it is 100% complete then you must have quite a box of parts to go with those pictures. Things I see missing: lights and switchgear. Proper fenders and brackets. throttle assy, chain guard and stock muffler. As the bike sits....if it runs it is worth about $800. If you put the stock items back on it would be worth twice that. The biggest area of concern to me as a buyer would be that someone appears to have cut off the rear frame fender hoop to put on that nice fender. THERE GOES YOUR NICE FRAME RIGIDITY!. If you can find that piece have it welded back in. It's also been repainted, not orig glass which reduces it's value to most vintage buyers even though the job looks good.

if you have the bike running and riding, agree, 800.00 tops.

with all the original, and correct parts, 1500.00

hate to say this, but the bike is worth more in parts then complete.

do some net searching for parts and or pictures of original bikes, and youll see what your bike is missing.