2009 450 and hate suspension-help

I wont say which outfit did my bike but I have used them every year and been stoked......until now.

Had forks revalved, went up to .48 and softer pressure springs.

In back shortened it, revalved (stk spring) and went with link.

Problem is mostly forks. THey suck and always have. I'm 185-190 Vet Int and they are so friggin harsh it is unreal! Have ridden my buddys 09 KX450 and other buddy's 08 Zook and both are stock and kill mine. I would love to have a pair of stock KX forks!!!! Mine feels like stagecoach. What the hell??

What have you guys done and how do you feel about it now.

Dont get me wrong, power is great, bike is light but this set up is killing me!

Have you backed out the fork comp? If it starts hanging down back fork rebound out to help keep it up. You might be surprised how soft you can go! I was running my friends stuff that was done by one of the big susp shops because he went in a different direction. He is a novice and I am a vet A. I had fork and shock full soft or close as my final setup.

At your weight, shortening the shock and putting a link on it was a waste of money. It may even be aggravating the front end problems. The "stinkbug" problem usually only happens for lighter guys.

Pro Action revalved mine and put .48 springs in the forks, and my suspension is excellent. (205lbs).

I wont say which outfit did my bike but I have used them every year and been stoked......until now.

Had forks revalved, went up to .48 and softer pressure springs.

In back shortened it, revalved (stk spring) and went with link.

Problem is mostly forks. THey suck and always have. I'm 185-190 Vet Int and they are so friggin harsh it is unreal! Have ridden my buddys 09 KX450 and other buddy's 08 Zook and both are stock and kill mine. I would love to have a pair of stock KX forks!!!! Mine feels like stagecoach. What the hell??

What have you guys done and how do you feel about it now.

Dont get me wrong, power is great, bike is light but this set up is killing me!

What is your sag set at? What part of the stroke is harsh? Are you bottoming hard?

Originally Posted by 444

Not bottoming bad in fact they forks are excellent with bottoming. Everything FEELS like it is mid stroke. On gas, 3rd gear chop. Sag is run at 110 by this shop

Is this correct you have 12" of fork travel and with your sag the fork

only shows 7 5/8" of chrome. 110mm=4.33" ?

How did FC set it up? They actually did mine too. What weight and level are you at.

seems like we are having the same issues. FC did mine, but it gets harsh in chop and while reducing compression or speeding up the rebound helps, it still has a spot in the mid-stroke where it feels like it gets almost hung up. Kinda frustrating as FC basically said this is the only setup that I would like and really aren't willing to do much else to my forks at this point, or really don't know what else to do...Not sure. I'll shoot you a PM.

I am about the same weight and ability and came up with a combination that works really good for me. I had my shock re-valved by Factory Connection, installed a link and re-valved the forks myself. The bike is now stable, turns good and is plush front and rear.

For the forks, I removed (3)32x.11 low speed compression shims from each stack, changed the pressure spring (Factory Connection Part# PRESSSPG1.7K06), changed the main springs to .48kg, run 350cc of Honda SS7 (I have found the SS7 oil to have less stiction and offer better characteristics over other oils I tried), and use a real slippery seal grease (Slickoleum). Everything else in the forks are stock.

Do you have the latest set-up from FC? They have been updating as they find better settings. I was about to sell my bike after trying one shop and sending it back many times. I gave FC a try and it is working great. Have had it about 1 month now. I am 205lbs, mx only. I have 48's, up .1 on the rear spring, lowering link. I run the sag about 107, forks almost flush. From their compression settings I went 1/4 firmer on high speed and two clicks softer on the fork. Rebound - slowed down the rear 2 clicks, left the fork as delivered.

I had TBT do mine and the forks are like freaking butter. The rougher the better. Only problem I had was clanking the fork on hard landings (and I mean hard, 12 foot drop off kinda stuff) but they just went to 385cc instead of 375cc's fork oil to help that.

The shock is good, perhaps oversprung it is still the stock shock spring but the valving is WAY better than stock. I still bouce too much for my liking, I need to slow rebound down some. If I slow down the shock too much I go off jumps nose high as it does not unload fast enough. Still fiddling with shock setting. Not inlove with the shock. Compresion is great though. Soaks up everything. Very comfy ride too. I may take it back for an update, mainly on the rebound circuit. Shock was lowered 2mm internally but maybe I'll try the aftermarket link as well.

My concern is with the shock not the fork. The fork and what ever they did makes it soak up stuff and ride like a luxury car. After riding with late Showas stock and revalved I know what sucky feels like and what I got aint it.

Even then my shock concerns are minor. But damn the forks are freaking great. I mean GREAT.

Actually they did my kids 85 too which is why I went there and it is like watching a trophy truck. His suspeension goes up and down through the worst chop but the bike is straight as an arrow. On landings the bike just sets in and then goes. Awesome to watch.

Eitherway 2-3 clicks on the forks or shock and it is very noticable. Very adjustable now.