Sign in to follow this  

Is this head junk?? 88 CR250R

ok this is my head I had you guys help me with getting off, the bloody dowels were pretty fused so I still had to get medieval on it. As you can see in the pics the skirt did in fact shatter and is all down in the bottom end... But what really worries me is the crack in the head, the flange that extends down into the case is almost broken off (the exhaust side one). The cylinder itself is not scored and everything else looks good.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae228/TomRiddolls/DSC_0223.jpg

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae228/TomRiddolls/DSC_0226.jpg

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae228/TomRiddolls/DSC_0225.jpg

So much of the bike is in very good, low hours condition. I'm just looking for a weekend rider - do I part this out and cut my losses or look around for a new head, or what??

Just by a new cylinder off ebay or have the cylinder sleeved by LA Sleeve.

Cheap ad easy fix. I believe that the cylinder is the same from 1988 through 1991, check the Honda part number.

LOTS of cylinders out there cheap.

I love those old Hondas.

IF the cylinder is the same for 1988 - 1990 (I don't know), you can buy a new one from CheapCycleParts.com. Other than that all I can think of is eBay or try to have your cylinder repaired. I wouldn't use it as is.

well the overwhelming consensus if to keep this baby alive! I bought it for 800 from a guy that admitted to knowing nothing about it - but it ran fine. I spent 400 for a shop to fix the electrical, then I blew 200 on aftermarket stuff like a SFB ignition cover, new boyesen valves and new sprockets. So I keep getting in deeper and around here a very good condition 88 250 sells for about 1200. I still have to find a right side case cover because my hose connectors rotted off.

Looks Like I best spend the winter on ebay...

Thanks guys (i think)

well the overwhelming consensus if to keep this baby alive! I bought it for 800 from a guy that admitted to knowing nothing about it - but it ran fine. I spent 400 for a shop to fix the electrical, then I blew 200 on aftermarket stuff like a SFB ignition cover, new boyesen valves and new sprockets. So I keep getting in deeper and around here a very good condition 88 250 sells for about 1200. I still have to find a right side case cover because my hose connectors rotted off.

Looks Like I best spend the winter on ebay...

Thanks guys (i think)

You can buy the water pump cover direct from honda, they run less than $200. Those 80's Hondas had magnesium water pump covers and many riders ran water in their cling system which cause corrosion.

The good news is Honda now makes the water pump covers from ALUMINUM! Run a quality coolant such as coolanol and all is good.

Don't bother trying to find a used water pump cover, they are all going to be corroded, just suck it up and buy the new one.

Plenty of online sellers will ship to canada and the US dollar is dropping like a rock so you get a 25% discount on currency exchange alone. Loonie is almost 1 to 1.

I hate to break the bad news to you BUT, you need to check your radiators, when those side covers corrode many times the magnesium ends up plugging the radiators.

No worries, just send the radiators to Myler's radiators in Utah www.motorcycleradiators.com

He can clear and repair them for less than $100.

I bought an '88 recently and I doing a full restore. Powdercoat the frame, new water pump cover, split the cases and replace bearings and seals, new plastic, rebuild the blown suspension.

It is all part of the game.

why do you do it then? purely for the joy of it? a complete rebuild will easily overrun the cost of a similar vintage bike is great shape will it not?

I found a cylinder with piston on ebay for 300 (is that good?)

side cover 200

new seal and bearings to rebuild the bottom end after I go in and clean it out 100

repaired rads 150 (100+ shipping)

suddenly this 21 year old bike is up to $2200

ouch.

Its all for the fun of it... for me anyways! And it gives me something to do, im a bike a collector and i like fixing up bike that i can buy for 300-600 bucks and fix up so they look and run better than they have in years! i enjoy having something productive to do over the winter! I need to stay busy! and its the satisfaction of knowing and saying that you took a pos and fixed it to like new condition with your own two hands! but its not so fun if you dont have the cash to finish your project or if its your only bike that you need to get running so you can ride!

why do you do it then? purely for the joy of it? a complete rebuild will easily overrun the cost of a similar vintage bike is great shape will it not?

I found a cylinder with piston on ebay for 300 (is that good?)

side cover 200

new seal and bearings to rebuild the bottom end after I go in and clean it out 100

repaired rads 150 (100+ shipping)

suddenly this 21 year old bike is up to $2200

ouch.

Why do I do it? I like this era of bike.

You don't necessarily need to do the seals and bearing on the lower end. When I did my water pump cover I just replaced the water pump seals and gaskets. The bearings were good.

The $300 for the cylinder and piston MIGHT be an ok deal. Is it the '86-89 cylinder with the pro-x piston hat is on auction right now? If so that is a reasonable price.

So for the 200 water pump side cover

300 for new cylinder and piston

seals for water pump less than $100

check the radiators, if they are ok, assemble and enjoy the bike.

What did the repair shop do for $400 to repair the electrical?

Edited by bigpaul
clarity

Every bike for sale is going to have it's problems. It's clear you probably over paid now that you know the full condition of this bike but it's not worth it for you to just give up and throw it away at this point. Yes it's going to cost more money to fix, but you're close to the end. If the cylinder is damaged, they can be replated. This runs around $200-250 depending on the extent of the damage and who does the plating. Do not sleeve unless the cylinder has already been sleeved. Plating costs the same to have done, lasts longer, and performs better. If you think replacing a top end on a 2-stroke is worth selling the bike for, 2-strokes aren't for you. When my bottom end doesn't blow, I go through top ends every 4 months or 25ish hours.

What did the repair shop do for $400 to repair the electrical?

The bike would stall out dead after 20 minutes of running, that always sounded to me like a stator problem, coil heating up and a small short occurring - that's only because I solved a VERY frustrating problem on my sled last winter, identical situation. The problem was the problem was hard to make happen, you know, you drop the bike off then get a call saying its ready come pick it up, you show up and the guy says its fine, you just needed a new plug and hands you a bill for $150, you try to tell him he has not fixed it but he rolls his eyes, 20 minutes of riding later, the bike is dead again. he almost got a brick through is window, finally I took it in and demanded he put a new stator in - which he did AFTER an hour's inspection (another $80 for useless shop time). I got it back and the problem never happened again. I got new problems now...

The bike would stall out dead after 20 minutes of running, that always sounded to me like a stator problem, coil heating up and a small short occurring - that's only because I solved a VERY frustrating problem on my sled last winter, identical situation. The problem was the problem was hard to make happen, you know, you drop the bike off then get a call saying its ready come pick it up, you show up and the guy says its fine, you just needed a new plug and hands you a bill for $150, you try to tell him he has not fixed it but he rolls his eyes, 20 minutes of riding later, the bike is dead again. he almost got a brick through is window, finally I took it in and demanded he put a new stator in - which he did AFTER an hour's inspection (another $80 for useless shop time). I got it back and the problem never happened again. I got new problems now...

Not flaming you amigo. EVERYBODY goes through these problems.

The good news is CR250's are pretty darn simple and used electrical parts are CHEAP on ebay.

Stators are pretty easy to change on your own. Pretty much unscrew plug and play. Coils are plug and play.

All part of the learning, enjoy the bike.

Update us on the progress. Soon I will be posting pics of my restore.