08 530EXC Stops When Choke Pushed In

My bike has sat for about 6 months - on the battery tender.

In the past it always started fine - use choke and then when warm push choke it and everything was fine. When out riding, if I stopped the engine, it would start up just fine - sometimes I would have to use the choke then push it back in and everything ran fine.

Went to start the bike today - want to go riding this weekend - and it started up just fine, but when I push the choke in the engine just dies. I have adjusted the idle screw but no joy.

The bike has been destricted and rejetted.

Any ideas? Thanks.

(I have also posted on KTM talk)

If the bike has been sitting for 6 months without fuel stabilizer then your pilot or main jet may be plugged up with gunk. More than likely the pilot is gummed up. Remove the cap on the bottom of the float bowl and you can get to both jets.

6 months ago it was summer, now it is winter coming. Maybe need to adjust air screw.

Clean or replace pilot jet.

definately a dirty, gummed up carb. fuel today evaporates quickly and leaves a gummy varnish, older fuel would dissolve this varnish after a while but new fuel compounds do not do this. make sure you cleanm all the little venturies in the carb as well. pretty easy fix, just sucks when you are trying to go riding. definately use a fuel stableizer if the bike is going to sit more than a couple of weeks as this can happen quickly nowdays. always drain your fuel bowl when done riding too..

Remove the pilot jet and soak overnight in lacquer thinner, acetone or fingernail polish remover. Do your bike a big favor and do NOT take the carb all apart!

Do your bike a big favor and do NOT take the carb all apart!

No problemo there. I am going to let my dealer take care of this one. I just have to develop and good method of preventing this in the future as I rarely ride. I keep the bike on a tender and it starts up each time. I guess that I will just run the bike at least once a month - take it around the neighborhood for a while - after all it is plated.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and ideas.

No problemo there. I am going to let my dealer take care of this one. I just have to develop and good method of preventing this in the future as I rarely ride. I keep the bike on a tender and it starts up each time. I guess that I will just run the bike at least once a month - take it around the neighborhood for a while - after all it is plated.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and ideas.

Keep gas stablizer in it if you don't ride much.

You may want to keep your gas petcock ON all the time so the fuel in the bowl won't evaperate and cause varnish.

I had the same problem, I just pulled the carb pulled the Idle jet out and then cleaned it ,now my bike starts right up, and put the Stabil in your gas,there is a new Stabil out for our new bad gas get some

Took it to the dealer - they cleaned it out and it started just fine.

Went out to the So. Cal. desert and rode it - no problemo.

When I got back home, first thing I did was put the Stabil in the tank and left the petcock on run.

Best part of it all was that while it was in the shop I had a steering stabilizer put on - what a difference. Best money I have spent on the bike so far other than the Renazco seat.

Next add on is a bigger tank - getting it ready for the TAT!

lopaca, you need to run the bike with the stabil/fuel stabilizer, it kinda sounded like you just added it to the tank. you need to shake it and run it for a bit. personally i prefer to turn the petcock off and crack the drain screw to drain the last bit of fuel while the bike is running and run it dry. then there is no fuel in there to varnish. also if you leave the petcock on and it leak in the garage it could be a fire hazard.

Will do.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.