Tire Hand Pump Suggestions

I planning on carrying a hand pump to inflate my tires as needed or when I need to change a flat on the trail. I have an XR400 with typical 18" and 21" tires and run between 15-25 PSI.

I looked at REI a few days ago and they had a bunch but most seem suited for high pressure/ low volume bike tires. Has anybody found one that works well for motorcycle tires?

I have used an old mountain bike tire pump to air back up after an off road section. It only took a few minuets, although a lot of strokes, to air the tires up from around 14 psi to 22 psi. I have not yet had to change a flat tire on the trail so I dont know how long that would take. My old pump is about an inch in diameter and about 6 inches long, but it telescopes when using it so it works suprisingly fast.

Something like this works good. Fits in my fender bag and will inflate a knobby (Tired it before heading out on the trail and it worked!) Blackburn has a bunch of different models and are available at most bike shops.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Mammoth-Stage-Bicycle-Frame/dp/B001GAOR34

+1 on the Blackburn. You can check your local bicycle shop or go to Jensonusa.com or Pricepoint.com and they usually have some decent prices on their pumps. A dual action/two stage pump will save you alot of strokes forsure.

Anyone try one of these 2nd wind CO2 / pump units?

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/swmtb.html

Yup. CO2 portion works great. Hand pump works, but takes forever...not a lot of volume there...

they work good and dont take up alot of space. some do leak after used always keep extra co2 on hand.

I carry one similar to that one along with a pump just for good measure. The good thing about the one in your link is you can use both the threaded & non threaded co2 canisters where as mine you can only use the threaded type which can be a little harder to find sometimes.

+1 on the Blackburn. You can check your local bicycle shop or go to Jensonusa.com or Pricepoint.com and they usually have some decent prices on their pumps. A dual action/two stage pump will save you alot of strokes forsure.

+1 Blackburn "Mini" fits in my old dich Burleson leather fanny pack. Plus threaded CO2 & thread adapter for bottle to schrader

Good quality mountain bike pump (more volume per stroke)- Dick's sporting goods.

Dave

The Topeak Mountain Morph looks like a good choice. I have been very pleased with the Topeak Road Morph for my bicycle, the Mountain is a higher volume lower pressure version of the same. I like the fact that both of these have a short flexible hose to connect to the valve. I've broken too many valves and pumps on bicycles with the had connections.

312MTS3MGPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg31MSHHFEK0L._AA280_.jpg

Craig

Second wind, C02 and pump.

The Topeak Mountain Morph looks like a good choice. I have been very pleased with the Topeak Road Morph for my bicycle, the Mountain is a higher volume lower pressure version of the same. I like the fact that both of these have a short flexible hose to connect to the valve. I've broken too many valves and pumps on bicycles with the had connections.

312MTS3MGPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg31MSHHFEK0L._AA280_.jpg

Craig

You read my mind, this is the one I've been looking at.

As for those that recommended a combo CO^2/pump, how many tires have you actually used these on? I like the idea of a pump back up, but I'm still not convinced the Co^2 canisters are great for a motorcycle tire.

I used one for about 3 years it recently exploded in my hand when using the CO2 inflator (didnt get hurt), it must have been already cracked before I used the CO2, it has lasted longer than I thought it would, I would buy another.

Yes it is low volume, but it is very small too, I dont mind the extra pumps it takes vs the size, worth it IMO.

I went to the bike shop and bought another one, didnt look at the package well enough and it turns out I bought the CO2 inflator only, has no pump, thought it just looked different because it was a newer model...oops

2cd Wind and an extra C02 is all you need.One C02 should pump up a motorcycle tire with no problem.I have one but havn't had to use it yet.I did use the hand pump on my quad to add a little air,Its slow but it is very small and packable.I got mine at www.Rockymountainatv&mc

Go to Wheeling Cycle, they still have a DRC foot pump on clearance, I think for $15. I bought one and it works well and doesn't take up much room.

I bought a made in USA tire pump at wally world, then cut it down to fit in my top case. I made a 2 foot pump down to 14 inches. Airs up the tires with 10 to 15 pumps on each end. Cost $9.00