IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Anybody want to trade their stock stroke engine for my 470?

I am beyond frustrated with the 470 I built. I cannot get the damn thing to crank over. I built it exactly as Eddie specs, but apparently my bike is just saying f-you and no matter what I do with the starter and hooking even my truck directly up to it, it won't turn past TDC. I am likely not interested in a straight up trade because of the money I have invested in it, but I promise I will give a good deal.

The build is fine, the engine spins by hand, with the decompressor activated it will even fire!

Screw this thing, I just want to ride my damn bike. If you have a modified stock stroke Z engine (preferably DRZ E) send me a PM and I will see what I am willing to do. Obviously I will not guarantee your starter can turn it over either, but maybe you want to try your luck on what will be a badass engine when it actually starts.

Don't give up dude! It's all about learning and when you crack it, you'll be smiling from ear to ear!

Take a step back, chill for a few hours - go to a movie and then start with the basics and work forward!

Hang in there, you'll get it sorted!

Dont get beaten , like mebigdave said walk away for a few days come back with a mug of tea and a packet of Jaffa cakes or coffee and candy in your case and go through it starting from the start, its all a learning curve we have all been there and it will be worth it in the end.

I have been working on getting it started for a month. I am not inexperienced.

This would be very easy to solve...if the damn cams had a decompressor on them!

My final solution was to try a manual decompressor and it is extremely difficult to coordinate letting go of it while manipulating the throttle and everything else.

My ultimate goal on this bike was/is EFI and this 470 is just slowing me down and delaying me. I want it bye bye unless someone offers a really easy solution to making it turn over reliably.

I can understand your frustration, but something has to be wrong with your set up, or the way you’re starting it.. Way to many 470 or larger High CR motors out there starting just fine.

Back off the motor, pull in the decomp lever, that opens and sets the valve open for a rotation of the crank. Hit the starter button, and away it goes.

485cc, 13.5:1, hot cams stage 2(no longer made) fresh OEM Yuasa battery. Starts hot or cold.... ON a full battery charge. With the SSW big battery ,, it will re start many times over on a short time,, something the smaller OEM battery would not do.

Edited by E.Marquez

Aaron, I am surprised at your frustration. AS a FYI, my 470 with RHC 187's cranked fine. This was with a single ply base gasket on either side of the barrel spacer too. I had a one year old OEM battery (that was properly put into service). The bulid was based on an '01 engine and I did go over my starter motor with a commutor cut and fresh brushes.

Did you check the starter draw? Ensure the starter motor was in good condition as well as the cables and relay?

i have the SSW super start kit .. RHC cams with a manual decomp assy .

idle set @ 1800 rpm .. no throttle pull in the decomp and hit the starter , let it spin over once .. release the decomp and away we go !

Just finished the same setup (got a manual decomp kit from Eddie).

Works like a dream

Aaron.. this is starting to sound like a beat down.... understand I do not believe that’s the intent :excuseme: here...Just folks telling you the build works for them..

If you’re interested in trying to work though the issue… take a day, start fresh, let’s walk though each step as if you have never seen or touched the bike… Better if you can have a fresh un jaded set of eyes and hands come assist.

if you think the auto decomp will fix your issue,just install one on the cam.

you can send me the ex cam and i will do it if you like.i have plenty of stock ex cams to donate for the mechanism.

if you do this you need to closley inspect the auto decomp mechanism pretty much constantly. they fail on stockers frequent enough that im not comfortable having one in any of my personal motors.

Aron.......I can`t offer any technical help....since you are all ready far ahead of me.....:excuseme: But like every one else said......It`s gotta be something you missed. I elected to put on the yt10s battery on my 470......But the warmer winter temps here in the desert have given me no problems starting it with out any decompressor. Some of us have been here....In perhaps a different area of expertise......some giving up....some digging deep....I am sure some one will take you up on the trade, but I sincerely for your perseverance in this matter.:bonk::thumbsup::smirk::thumbsup:

Erling

Just sounds like a weak starter I've seen a 470 crank with a stock battery and starter. It was a LTZ quad but same engine.

if you think the auto decomp will fix your issue,just install one on the cam.

you can send me the ex cam and i will do it if you like.i have plenty of stock ex cams to donate for the mechanism.

if you do this you need to closley inspect the auto decomp mechanism pretty much constantly. they fail on stockers frequent enough that im not comfortable having one in any of my personal motors.

That right there makes me want to cut that thing out of my stock motor.

That right there makes me want to cut that thing out of my stock motor.

I'm going to take the auto decomp out of my engine sometime this winter. (working on a manual system)

As far as the 470 engine... this may sound stupid... but by any chance did you forget to put in the bushings on the starter counter gear? It's easy to check... just pull the three screws on the cover, and look inside. (just trying to think of something different) I know the bushing in the back of the case will stay in the engine when removing the gear set... but it will fall out when you are working with the engine case.

i had similar problems with the stock battery.even with the big battery i have the ocasional problem.if i open the throttle in any way it will barley crank over if at all.ive always had to give it a few twists of the throttle and wait a sec or 2 then hit the button without touch the throttle

To install a manual secomp, you need a E head. At the present, there is no resonable method to do so on a S/SM.

Parts needed are:

Decomp pin

nut

washer

Lever

Bracket

cable

bar lever

Take a look at an online fiche of a kicker model.