Sign in to follow this  

Bottom end $$$?

Alright might be going to purchase a 96 250 for a good price soon but the guy says it deffinatley needs a piston and maybe more. Just curious what it might cost me if it needs a new bottom end? Thanks!

If you can do the work yourself it will cost you about 600 for a complete top and bottom end! 160-200 for replate, 100 for piston kit, around 200 for crank and bearings! Plus gaskets and other misc. things you will need along the way! If you take it to a dealership to get the work done your looking at more like 1000... 600 for parts and 400+ for labor! Hate to say it but they will rape your wallet. If you want the bike, buy it get a manual and do the work yourself, but be careful its not too bad (bent frame/ sub-frame/ swingarm, make sure theres no cracks, forks arent bent)! if you need help someone on here will gladly help you out! plus it will save you a ton of money in the long run knowing how to do all the work yourself!

I went from never even seeing the inside of a motor to doing a full rebuild on mine! crank, bearings, seals, EVERYTHING! The only thing i dont mess around with is my suspension because i have certified mechanic that does it for free so i never cared to learn! The key is to get a good manual and it will be cake!:excuseme:

If it needs a complete top and bottom end then it's not worth much. In good running condition it's maybe worth 1k.

It will be more than $600 (if the cyl is shot)

meaning a good price would be well less than $400

he has 500 obo on it, I was gonna offer him $350 for it. I Dunno, think im gonna shy away from it even though I want it pretty badly. Thanks for the help though!

If it needs a complete top and bottom end then it's not worth much. In good running condition it's maybe worth 1k.

It will be more than $600 (if the cyl is shot)

meaning a good price would be well less than $400

just out of curiosity, how is it going to cost more than 600 for parts (if the cylinder is shot)?

you can get a brand new cylinder on ebay for $220 and they are no more expensive from the dealership and the ball park figures for the rest of the parts add up to right around $600.

i paid 500 for my 98 250 (in 02) 4 year old bike at the time with a blown top and seized bottom and rebuilt the whole thing for right around 600, so i basically ended up with a mint 98 for 1100 bucks and thats not including suspension rebuild for my weight and plastic and graphics and things like that that werent necessities for what i use the bike for. in which case i still got it for 1300 total.

if you can get it for 350 that would be an excelent deal... i personally would buy it for $350 and drop $600-650 into it and have a bike with a brand new motor for $1000! :excuseme:

i would just spend 2,000 and get a newer running bike. I wanted to do the same thing as you but after thinking about it i figured its not worth the headache. Maybe if i have done work before on a bike and was good at it i would buy a bike like this but im happy i ended up buying a running good one. You can ride it that way and not wait.

And also if that bike needs a new case, those suckers are big money which im sure it dont.

thats the thing, I already have my 250f to ride. just wantin to buy it for a winter project then maybe turn arround and sell it for some extra cash.

only diff is hell save $1000...

those two stroke motors are as simple as they get, glad i had to learn to do motor work on my 2 stroke before i got my thumper... ida been lost! i still get confused with my 450 while wrenching on it but on all my two strokes i can basically do it with my eyes closed!

thing is with it being a 96 your not going to make much if any profit off of it even if you get it back into mint condition! thats basically a 15 year old bike, you can find a trashed 04+ for around 500 and do the same thing and make alot more money off of it !

also sdj... what part of cleveland are you from? (assuming from your name)

just out of curiosity, how is it going to cost more than 600 for parts (if the cylinder is shot)?

you can get a brand new cylinder on ebay for $220 and they are no more expensive from the dealership and the ball park figures for the rest of the parts add up to right around $600.

Currently there are no 96 cylinders on ebay. There is one 97 that might work it's $353. Unfournatly they are not $200

dealer prices on a new 96 cyl are:

SKU: 4SR-11311-00-00

CYLINDER 1 (backordered) 1 $347.04 and there may be no more left

so that leaves a replate

powerseal plating $172 + shipping call it $200

piston, rings, wrist pin bearing $100

complete gasket kit (including oil seals) $65

crankshaft:

wiseco only back to 99

hot rods only back to 99

prox only back to 99

OEM

SKU: 4SR-11400-00-00

CRANKSHAFT ASSEMBLY 1 $422.20

or just going with a new rod (prox) $75 + usually $150 in labor = $225

main bearings $60

+ tools

flywheel puller $15

crank puller $50

case seperator $50

$115

$650 with a re-plated cyl and new con rod.

$847 with a re-plated cyl and new crank.

$994 with a new cyl and new crank

$1109 with tools

and chances are all bearings/bushings in the linkage, swing arm and shock will need replaced add another 150-200

those are some outrageous prices... i got all those parts for my 98 and 00yz for under 600... brand new in box! but sorry for the misleading info. never thought about it being an older bike and parts being scarce.

:excuseme: to jar for correcting my mistake!:foul:lol

yeah i think i like your idea ftball90. I bet i could find a much newer one for a cheap price if i keep looking. Knowing me ill wanna keep it anyways so might as well go newer and spend about the same amount. Thanks for all the input guys.

[quote name=f

also sdj... what part of cleveland are you from? (assuming from your name)[/quote]

i just moved to streetsboro. Im going riding sunday if you wanna go. either bear creek or nemx in andover