Making a light bike lighter (2010 crf450r)

I've decided to get a crf450r when I get back from Afghanistan, so since money won't be an object when I get back I want to make the back super light. I am going with a FMF mega bomb ti header and a carbon fiber exhaust. Does anyone have any other suggestion for my new bike?

Ti bolts,axle, and swingarm pivot, Excel A60 rims laced to stock hubs, and a monocoque carbon fiber air box/subframe (you did say money wasn't an issue). That's about it for lightening it up, any thing else you replace with billet usually weighs more than the cast aluminum part you are replacing. Maybe ti foot pegs, but since they will be wider than stock I don't know if you will save weight there.

Spray the underside down with PAM or WD-40, no since blowing all that $$$$$$$ if you are just gonna let mud build up on it while riding.

Tubliss inserts instead of tubes, and the lightest tires you can find.

Cycra plastics, drill holes and trim it where you can.

Remove disc guards.

CF mufflers are notoriously unreliable - you better have money for more than one if you're going to run them.

Alu or carbon fuel tank

The best advice anyone can give you is to save your money. This is not backpacking, you have a 50 horsepower motor. If you cant go fast on a stock 2010, you just arent fast.

The best advice anyone can give you is to save your money. This is not backpacking, you have a 50 horsepower motor. If you cant go fast on a stock 2010, you just arent fast.

:excuseme: sorry it's not that funny

The Acerbis X-Seat is supposed to shave off 1300 grams, almost 3 pounds. MSRP is $199 though.

I agree... Unless you know you are financially set for the rest of your life and have plenty of money to put into stuff like this, then I say just get a few things you want such as the exhaust and save some. You may know this already but shaving all this weight isn't going to make you much faster. Maybe a little bit, but not enough to justify the amount of money you would have to spend. Save it and buy you another new bike next year.

Make sure to run helium in your tires.:excuseme:

You may know this already but shaving all this weight isn't going to make you much faster. Maybe a little bit, but not enough to justify the amount of money you would have to spend.

I say more power to anyone wanting to spend HIS money on whatever makes him happy. IMO there is worse things to spend money on than a sweet bike. Maybe this person can afford to pimp out a bike every year, or sees a pimped out bike that he keeps several years as a better purchase than buying a new one every year that stays mostly stock.

I think this thread is off topic! The poor guy just wants ideas on how to shave some weight off his bike. Who cares if its a good idea or not!

I think this thread is off topic! The poor guy just wants ideas on how to shave some weight off his bike. Who cares if its a good idea or not!

I was thinking the same thing by the time I got down here. It's really a good question and I remember one time I rode a friends bike (same as mine) that had five pounds knocked off of it. Not only could I feel the minor difference in weight but it felt like it actually handled better in corners too. If for no other reason, it's a good idea to lose weight where you can to compensate for the weight gained with some of the aftermarket parts that end up on your bike (like heavier tires, tubes, brake rotors, etc.). Below is a link to DirtRiders 199 lb KTM 300 project bike for some tips...

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dirt_bike/141_0911_fmf_racing_199lb_2008_ktm_250_sx/index.html

I have an 05 crf450. For fun I have been shaving and making parts to save weight on it. Its mostly just my fun bike now and I experiment with it. I have removed 8 pounds so far, without spending much money, other than a carbon fiber fmf silencer. I have it setup for offroad, so the reduction in weight, I have definitely noticed.I will never mess with frame or motor strength-just bolt on items. Here are things I did.

1.Cut side numberplates like KTM and reshaped rear fender- it shaves weight in two ways. The removal of material and less mud clinging on.

2.Carbon fiber front number plate and silencer.Made the number plate. 1/4 wgt of plastic! silencer close to 2 lbs lighter than stock

3. Cut bolts-most engine bolts and fastener are at least 1/8" too long. Trim extra off.

4. Cut excess hose/tubing off. Honda makes coolant and carb hoses way too long.

5. Remove backfire screen and run twin air fire safe filter.

6.Drilled and lighten front fender. Basically mimic cycra lite fender.

7. remove disc guards and mounting tabs.

I did some other things cant think of and can probably lose another 3 or 4 lbs. I have found that trying to stop mud from collecting on the bike makes the biggest difference in a 2-3hr race. Bike definitely feels lighter after doing all the stuff. It doesn't feel as light as my KTM 250xc 2 stroke-it never will. Also, I run an 18" rear and found 100 or 110 tires are best. the 120 really makes turning feel heavy. Ma next step will be sanding, polishing and some more plastic I will make in carbon fiber. I might try to make the gas tank in CF, but first I am making CF side panels,seat base and chain guide. I am using an epoxy resin that gives the same flexibility as plastic, but the downer is it can still crack. I don't run any guards unless it is rocky-they collect way too much mud. I have been looking for a teflon spray for mud. I think cabelas has it for guns,but is like a bake on finish.

I agree... Unless you know you are financially set for the rest of your life and have plenty of money to put into stuff like this, then I say just get a few things you want such as the exhaust and save some. You may know this already but shaving all this weight isn't going to make you much faster. Maybe a little bit, but not enough to justify the amount of money you would have to spend. Save it and buy you another new bike next year.

I want light more for the flickablitity (if thats a word) of the bike. Not necasarily the speed, though it will help a bit. I just want my bike to ride on top of the sand very well, corner well and mostly FLY!!! This has been a fun thread so keep em coming!

I want light more for the flickablitity (if thats a word) of the bike. Not necasarily the speed, though it will help a bit. I just want my bike to ride on top of the sand very well, corner well and mostly FLY!!! This has been a fun thread so keep em coming!

Yea I understand, and I wasn't trying to tell you how to spend your money. If I had the money to do it, I would love to do what your doing. Sorry if that came across the wrong way.

Nuetech claims up to 3 pounds per wheel with their TUbliss setup: http://www.nuetech.com/

Amazing! That would likely be totally noticeable too. I emailed them and they say they will have models available for my oddball wheels in a few months time. Hopefully they become available before the desert100 this spring! I could finally retire my ultra heavy duty puncture resistant wheel weights hallelujah!

Thanks for posting this man.