CRF450X For Highway Commute

Just bought a 2007 CRF450X in great running condition. Put the street legal kit on and intend to use it to commute to work and back. It's about 20 miles there at 55mph. Am I going to have valve or tranny issues from driving on the highway. Also how often should I change my oil and air filter if I keep this schedule. Just read all the threads on valve problems on the "X" after I bought it of course and am kind of worried now.

Just bought a 2007 CRF450X in great running condition. Put the street legal kit on and intend to use it to commute to work and back. It's about 20 miles there at 55mph. Am I going to have valve or tranny issues from driving on the highway. Also how often should I change my oil and air filter if I keep this schedule. Just read all the threads on valve problems on the "X" after I bought it of course and am kind of worried now.

IMHO:

You will be fine. This bike has a racing motor that is de-tuned, so it does not hold a lot of oil in the engine. Therefore, you will need to change it often. Dirt riding demands changing it every 6-18 hours of riding, and checking the level every 5 hours. For street, you could easily triple that, but, like I said, it is a race motor, that doesn't hold a lot of oil. You will still need to check the oil level every other day, at least.

Run a quart of oil in the Tranny at all times. The 3rd gear failure issues were rare, and were fixed in 2006.

Regarding the valves: most owners experience virtually no problems.

Maintenance is key to long life, especially air filter cleaning, oiling, and seating. Run Premium gas always. 45-60 miles on a tank.

Stay off the rev limiter too.

Gear the motor up (from 13/51 to 14/46) for use on pavement, and you will be fine.

Treat the X like the race bike it is, and you will have no problems.

I have a street legal 450x that I use for a trip to Colorado once a year. The rest of the year I put street oriented dual sport tires on it and change the gearing to 15/48. It is a lot of fun on the road it accelerates hard can do 3rd gear wheelies. I have about a 20 mile commute and leave early so I can take different routes to work. I check out everything that looks like it may be a trail,most just dead end but occasionally I find a really neat trail. I try to avoid highways, 20 miles at 55 is not a lot of fun on a dirt bike.

Thanks guys thats good to know. I'm not trying to make this thing into a supermoto or anything. 55 is the fastest I'll go. I live in Hawaii. Criminal speeding is 70 here. It's completely different from driving on a california freeway. Want to run the dual sport tire so I can hit a few trails also. As far as the sprockets one says 14/46 another says 15/48? I just need to be able to cruise at 55 and not be over reving the motor for a staight 20 minutes. Whats the difference between those two setups?

Thanks guys thats good to know. I'm not trying to make this thing into a supermoto or anything. 55 is the fastest I'll go. I live in Hawaii. Criminal speeding is 70 here. It's completely different from driving on a california freeway. Want to run the dual sport tire so I can hit a few trails also. As far as the sprockets one says 14/46 another says 15/48? I just need to be able to cruise at 55 and not be over reving the motor for a staight 20 minutes. Whats the difference between those two setups?

The difference is this: 46 divided by 14 = 3.2857 and 48 divided by 15 = 3.2

Almost identical gear ratio. Close enough you could hardly tell the difference.

I'm running a 14/49 (+1/-2). I've ridden the bike at 60 mph for 1-1/2 hours and was all buzzy when I got off. Didn't want to go the rest of the distance around the island and went back home, got on my street bike and really appreciated the sewing machine-like smoothness and precision. I'm wondering if tires would make a huge difference and maybe bar end anti vibration devices.

Definatly balanced street tires would make a huge difference. Some people fill there bars with spray foam insulation to reduce vibrations. I know my 450 with DOT off road tires isnt anywhere near as smooth as a guy I know KTM 690 enduro with enduro type tires and proper balancing.

Definatly balanced street tires would make a huge difference. Some people fill there bars with spray foam insulation to reduce vibrations. I know my 450 with DOT off road tires isnt anywhere near as smooth as a guy I know KTM 690 enduro with enduro type tires and proper balancing.

Bingo proper balance is key for highway. Have the wheels trued also:thumbsup:

Aloha Brah' good choice on the bike, let us see some pics as you progress...please. Also keep us updated on what gearing, and results you get. I cruise my bike a bit on streets, but not much on freeways. I am going to get a full SM wheelset eventually, but still for more canyon runs and streeting, not much for freeway commuting.

You are answering a 4 year old thread