Quieting the uncorked pig?

So with just a small grain of sand in the vag and maybe it's just time to quit wearing the skirt and just man up and ride ~ is there anyway to mellow the exhaust pulses of an uncorked XRL?

I do some long jaunts on the super slab and notice that the exhaust isn't necessarily loud, but the boom boom exhaust pulses of a single become tiresome.

So I could just put the stock muffler back on:blah: but has anyone come with a more creative solution? Currently I have a WBE2 with the spark arrestor in, but has anyone tried welding on a resonance chamber on onto the headers like they do the motocross bikes? What about adding a second muffler on the left side where the battery box use to be?

What says the TT brain trust?

:excuseme::bonk:

I, and a lot of others here, like the FMF Q pipes. There's a thread here on them for the R, but they make 'em for the L, too.

I, and a lot of others here, like the FMF Q pipes. There's a thread here on them for the R, but they make 'em for the L, too.

Aren't they all 20% off for use to right now?????????

I do some long jaunts on the super slab and notice that the exhaust isn't necessarily loud, but the boom boom exhaust pulses of a single become tiresome.

if i wus do'n the above...i wud use earplugs... :foul:

...also depending on ur helmet all of the wind noise is hard on ur hearing too :smirk:

...maybe ur just get'n old? :excuseme:

:bonk:

DSCN5258.jpg

I made this "deflector" The end is packed and has lots of outlet holes on the other side.

if i wus do'n the above...i wud use earplugs... :foul:

...also depending on ur helmet all of the wind noise is hard on ur hearing too :smirk:

...maybe ur just get'n old? :excuseme:

Only a pencil d$#@ would ride with earplugs and loud exhaust. I see many Harley riders go thru town with plugs in. Why not just wear a sign that says "I can't please a woman so I run loud exhaust".

My DR650 pig has whisper quiet exhaust and very smooooooth at 80mph for a single cylinder....

cheers:moon:

Only a pencil d$#@ would ride with earplugs and loud exhaust. I see many Harley riders go thru town with plugs in. Why not just wear a sign that says "I can't please a woman so I run loud exhaust".

when why don't u just wear a sign that says..."I'm a pencil d$#@" ??? :excuseme:

My DR650 pig has whisper quiet exhaust and very smooooooth at 80mph for a single cylinder....

cheers:moon:

that ain't no "pig" and most street bikes are "smooooth" at 80mph... :smirk:

u need to join ur buddy over at the DR...

haha-1-1.jpg

when why don't u just wear a sign that says..."I'm a pencil d$#@" ??? :excuseme:

that ain't no "pig" and most street bikes are "smooooth" at 80mph... :smirk:

u need to join ur buddy over at the DR...

haha-1-1.jpg

Not sure what ur sayin, Kenslow...have another beer.

You guys CRACK me up!:excuseme::lol::bonk:

I have to do something with my pro circuit exhaust on the xrr, it's to loud for me.

You guys CRACK me up!:bonk::lol::smirk:

I know, Need to go roosting on Kenzo next Piggy fest or meet him at Bend,Texarcana. Hey Kenzo! sprechen sie dick?

What happened to the Mods on this forum?:excuseme:

You guys CRACK me up!:smirk::lol::foul:

poor Norgay...none of dem boyz will playz wit him on da other boards :bonk:

but we're just have'n fun...:excuseme:

I do have ear plugs, and the FMF pipe is good to know, but I was looking for something waaaay more complicated:lol: With a strong case of tinkeritus I'm thinking of either trying a resonance chamber on the headers, or a second muffler where the battery box used to be. I was curious if this had been tried before, but I'll keep you all posted with whatever monstrosity I come up with.

:excuseme:

A turbo would make it a lot quieter.

A turbo would make it a lot quieter.

This turbo you speak of...

Has anyone successfully turboed an XRL? I've seen a few threads started on the subject but I've yet to see one finished with good results.

I do have ear plugs, and the FMF pipe is good to know, but I was looking for something waaaay more complicated:lol: With a strong case of tinkeritus I'm thinking of either trying a resonance chamber on the headers, or a second muffler where the battery box used to be. I was curious if this had been tried before, but I'll keep you all posted with whatever monstrosity I come up with.

:banghead:

Saw this over on ADV

attachment.php?attachmentid=220165&stc=1&d=1258605643

Just looking for a comparison guys, are you all soft or are the pipes you are using way louder then a stock XR650R pipe with the baffle removed?

Yes.

Yes.

And you probably don't spend 400mi. at a time on the highway:p.

Saw this over on ADV

attachment.php?attachmentid=220165&stc=1&d=1258605643

Incredible bike and every shop needs a TV. :banghead: