How much is to heavy ????

I am a 220 pound rider. Must of the time off road. But recently i am riding in a MX track near home, and really like it. My bike is a RMX 250. There are some tables that i see other riders jump so easily, and i just get to the middle of the jump. I go with gas full open, and nothing. What can i be doing wrong ? Am i and my bike too heavy for this kind of riding?.

How can i improve this ? Thanks for your help.

I am 215-220 and 6'3" and can clear everything at most So. Cal tracks on my 125(sprung for my weight).No you are not too heavy.....think of it as ballast:thumbsup:.Corner speed and practice is key as well as having your bike set up for your weight.Carry a steady throttle over the jump and keep your body neutral ,standing with your head over the bars.Get used to smaller jumps first like on a Vet track or a little more mild of a track.I know guys that are much heavier than me and are really quick at the track.Ron Lechien(sp?) is a tad portly and I see him every once and a while out here and he is "older" and way heavier(more like 260) than me but he hauls a##.You'll be fine,just take it slow and work up to the big jumps......no hurry they will be there next weekend.Good luck and have fun.:excuseme:

In practice....try to hook up with a rider on a 250F and do the "tow rope" thing....follow him and see if you need more speed or maybe more power.....a good way to judge.....

I am a 220 pound rider. Must of the time off road. But recently i am riding in a MX track near home, and really like it. My bike is a RMX 250. There are some tables that i see other riders jump so easily, and i just get to the middle of the jump. I go with gas full open, and nothing. What can i be doing wrong ? Am i and my bike too heavy for this kind of riding?.

How can i improve this ? Thanks for your help.

You need to go faster, a gear higher, before you even get to the jump.

Thanks to you all, i will try to go faster, before i hit the jump. And now i know that is not a matter of weight but practice and technique.

And i think i have to get raid of the fear of crashing and brake my bones at the age of 35. And i hope i do, because with the 3 feet that i get off the ground i can feel that great rush of being on the air. I cant imagine how it feels to go higher. So i let you know my progress. and THANKS AGAIN !!!!!:excuseme:

I cant imagine how it feels to go higher.

Imagine the bad landings and you might reconsider. You'll break easier than a teenager.

RMX 250s haven't been built for years. Is the suspension set up for your weight, with fresh fluids? How is the clutch? These bikes were fast enough for novice MX, but an old, tired bike with a rider far heavier than intended may not be able to perform like it should, regardless of your skills.

Imagine the bad landings and you might reconsider. You'll break easier than a teenager.

I dont get it. Are you trying to discourage him from jumping.:excuseme:

I dont get it. Are you trying to discourage him from jumping.:excuseme:

Too many of my friends in their 30's and 40's aren't riding any more because they went playing around with the kids getting big air on motoX tracks with some less than stellar results. Just an observation.

RMX 250s haven't been built for years. Is the suspension set up for your weight, with fresh fluids? How is the clutch? These bikes were fast enough for novice MX, but an old, tired bike with a rider far heavier than intended may not be able to perform like it should, regardless of your skills.

my bro in law has a 85cr250 and rides the track with it. he has no troubles with the jumps. and he is a novice rider.

Is it in good shape, or a hoopty?

I'm saying that if a bike that age hasn't been maintained or freshened up, it won't perform. Ever ridden a 15 year old bike with a toasted clutch?

If its in good shape with solid mechanicals, most bikes from the mid 80's on up can handle a track just fine. But you can't pile a 220lb guy on a 15 year old machine designed for 150lb guys with dubious mechanicals and expect to do well on the track.

Thanks to you all, i will try to go faster, before i hit the jump. And now i know that is not a matter of weight but practice and technique.

And i think i have to get raid of the fear of crashing and brake my bones at the age of 35. And i hope i do, because with the 3 feet that i get off the ground i can feel that great rush of being on the air. I cant imagine how it feels to go higher. So i let you know my progress. and THANKS AGAIN !!!!!:excuseme:

I was 36 or 37 first time I rode on a proper MX track. I booked the track for a group of 20 of us for a practice day, and I was a right novice. First couple of laps I managed to keep both wheels on the ground, then started taking off over little bumps and feeling the fun of it. Then just stated getting quicker and quicker until I was passing people that were better and younger than me. First couple of times at the table top were like you - landing half way, and uncomfortable.

But as soon as I carried a bit more speed on the face I was clearing it with ease, and it's a biggun. Landing on the downslope of it was so much smoother than landing on the top, and it just sort of all came together. By the end of the day I was even managing to pass people in the air :bonk:

The one thing I found was that the airtime was like in slow motion. This was good from the point of view that I seemed to have more time to enjoy it, but bad from the point of view that I even had enough time to think of all the bad stuff if I cocked up the landing and couldn't work to support wife and 4 kids. But it is all just so easy once you start to carry more speed, and it seems so much safer too - landing on the downslope is the safest place to land.

Too many of my friends in their 30's and 40's aren't riding any more because they went playing around with the kids getting big air on motoX tracks with some less than stellar results. Just an observation.

A very good observation as well....heed his warning.

Its never to late to learn something. If you are 220lbs and want to hit jumps you need to get your suspension done. Take it slow and don't do anything to out of control if you fear breaking bones or crashing. Wear the proper gear. I see people well in there 50's hitting jumps over 90ft.

Its understandable the older you are the more responsibilities you have esp. with family or a job, but telling someone not to ride/race/jump or whatever is just stupid. To each his own but not living life to the best of your abilities and enjoying as many experiences as you can is just a waste.

Hey guys !!!! i just came from the track, and even do i did not clear the jumps i wanted, i did so much better. But about the suspension you were right. When i land on the top of the table top, the shock goes down all the way, and i even can feel it in my ankles. And even hit the handle bar a couple of times with my helmet. So guess i have to do something with it right?.

The bike is a 93, but is in good shape. Maybe i will change the fork oil, just to be sure that is not bad... and adjust the rear shock to make it harder.

Thanks for ALL your advices. I`ll keep in tpuch. :banghead:

Hey guys !!!! i just came from the track, and even do i did not clear the jumps i wanted, i did so much better. But about the suspension you were right. When i land on the top of the table top, the shock goes down all the way, and i even can feel it in my ankles. And even hit the handle bar a couple of times with my helmet. So guess i have to do something with it right?.

The bike is a 93, but is in good shape. Maybe i will change the fork oil, just to be sure that is not bad... and adjust the rear shock to make it harder.

Thanks for ALL your advices. I`ll keep in tpuch. :banghead:

As long as you have fun and leave the track under your own power it's a good day.:cheers:

Suspension and corner speed. Thats were it's at!

Keep in mind that the RMX is an enduro bike. The suspension is setup for woods riding. Not only is the valving lighter, but the springs are lighter too when compared to an RM of the same year. At 220 pounds, you need more than just fresh fluids and some adjustments on the clickers to get it right.

So i cannot set up a RMX to perform OK in a MX track?.

I am not even close to a MX rider, i go into the woods must of the time, but will love to progress in MX. Do i really need another bike? Thanks :banghead:

So i cannot set up a RMX to perform OK in a MX track?.

Sure you can since the basic platform started life as an MX bike, but realistically you need to look at springs front and rear (about $200) and some valving changes if you plan on doing more MX than trails. If you're just trying to make it work a little better for the few time a year you go to an MX track, then stiffening up the compression and using a little restraint will be fine. I take my EXC that is setup for enduros to an MX track 2-3 times a year and ride it as is w/o even messing with the the clickers. Of course, I'm not trying to hit big jumps either, I'll do 30-40' doubles and table tops, but I don't try the big stuff.