What Bike Armor is really needed?

I'm switching from street riding to dirt and just got a "new" used 2006 DRZ (see https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8883720#post8883720 )

How much bike amror do I really need. I've got case protectors, radiator guards and a skid plate on order and the bike already has bark busters. But as I look through the TT shore I see all kind of protection: frame guards, brake disc guards, brake pedal savers, chain guides/protectors, foot peg covers and on and on. Do folks typically get all this stuff?

No...what you have and have coming should be more then adequate. Beyond that your going for a kitchen sink approach. Most around here try to avoid adding unneccesary stuff to keep weight at a minimum.

But others get caught up and buy every damn thing they can find that says it will bolt to a drz.

It is understandable...they love their DRZ so much...they want to lavish it with as much love as possible. But in the end...to much love smothers a childs development...if you get my meaning.

What's a snake?

A snake is basically a big hose clamp with a bit of high temp silicone or plastic tubing over it. It keeps your expensive can from dragging on the ground or worse the asphalt if you have a get off on the pipe side.

Lemme find a good pic......

This is the basic idea but usually done with round tubing instead of flat...

img361.jpg

Here's one...

minislider.jpg

Also called a muffler slider.

Really good pic here...

Copyofslidersorblkyel002.jpg

Edited by Goebz

You'll be fine with what you have, I have exactly that and trust me my bike has taken some NASTY falls and hasn't skipped a beat.

As for the "snake?" its great if your bike slides on pavement, but won't do a damn thing off road if you fall (think your pipe snake is going to land on that rock? nope! It'll miss and crush your can inches from the "snake" so save your money)

The snake would be one to avoid (IMO).

I have the rad guards, case cover guard (only on the right side, left fell off somewhere), Skid plate, Bark busters, and rear brake reservoir cover. I think I have used them all in a single ride. I guess it depends on where you ride and what your points of contact will be. If its rocks, the more the better, if its soft dirt or sand, you could probably save the weight on a couple items.

Well yes it will help mostly on the road, but I run a second one right under the number plate when I have saddlebags on. It keeps the weight of the bag & contents from pushing the numberplate down onto the muffler and melting a hole in it.

If you look close in my garage you can see the second one. I moved it forward about an inch since this pic. Works well with my Cortechs

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=59254