sprockets

??? I have an 06 250X and i ride tight slower trails with sudden hill climbs. If i want to change the sprocket to get more low end grunt and dont care about loosing top end speed which sprocket should i change. Should i go bigger in the front or smaller in the rear. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to changing front sprocket over the rear. It seems most threds are about guys changing the rear, but it seems easier and cheaper to swithch the front.Any help will be appreciated.

1 tooth smaller in the front. Should help you. Easy and cheap.

+2 probably one of the best "mods" i have done to my 04 250x... for under 20 bucks i grabbed a 13 tooth and its made it soo much better.... where 3rd was luggin it before its now right in the sweet spot. and first is nice a low for the tight TIGHT stuff. and your only loosing like 7.5% off the top end speed.... which isnt much.

Sorry to be the dissenting vote here but.....

I've heard that by going smaller on the front, you'll be wearing out your chain faster because the links have to bend more to get around the smaller sprocket. Also, you can get finer tuning by changing the rear.

My .02 cents......

I've heard that by going smaller on the front, you'll be wearing out your chain faster because the links have to bend more to get around the smaller sprocket. Also, you can get finer tuning by changing the rear.

My .02 cents......

I've never heard that before but it makes sense. I love my gearing, it was probably the biggest change that I have done, power wise to my bike so far. I won't go back, thats for sure!

My .02 cents......

I have heard that more than once as well. But the chains these days are pretty stout. I think other than changing the front sprocket my chain has been adjusted only once or twice. 3 sets of valves one chain:lol:

I have heard that more than once as well. But the chains these days are pretty stout. I think other than changing the front sprocket my chain has been adjusted only once or twice. 3 sets of valves one chain:lol:

When new I had to adjust the chain every ride it seemed, after about 40 hrs it seems I have only adjusted it once since then, now at 120 hrs.

When new I had to adjust the chain every ride it seemed, after about 40 hrs it seems I have only adjusted it once since then, now at 120 hrs.

Yeah they have a tendency to stretch initially but it seems that with the O and X ring chains they don't stretch anymore after the first few adjustments. The cheesy MX chains always require adjustment then they are all done.

Just an FYI check out Sidewindersprockets.com and talk to their techs. Give them your size, weight with gear and the riding that you do and they will set you up. I have done two sprocket conversions through them (one as a crf230f conversion) and one on my wife's '06 250x. Lifetime guaranteed sprockets and they have killer chains as well. Excellent product and very knowledgable and friendly salepeople.

Just an FYI check out Sidewindersprockets.com and talk to their techs. Give them your size, weight with gear and the riding that you do and they will set you up. I have done two sprocket conversions through them (one as a crf230f conversion) and one on my wife's '06 250x. Lifetime guaranteed sprockets and they have killer chains as well. Excellent product and very knowledgable and friendly salepeople.

Lifetime guaranteed as long as you don't lose your reciept. I have heard of more than a few people complain that it is hard to get them to honor their warantee.

My .02 cents......

+1 I also agree that if you want to prolong the life of the chain, it's best not to change the front smaller since it requires the chain to flex more and therefore wears faster. I don't really have this problem since I try to put the largest gear I can upfront. I gear it for wide open desert riding. :banghead:

-Blake