2010 valve shims

Are the valve shims the same on the '10 as they were in previous years?

Just wondering if my hot cams valve shim kit that i used on my 08 will work before i check the valves on my '10

Someone out there has gotta know

yes all shims are the same, 250 shims will only work in a 250, 450 shims will only work in 450s.

Coming from a two-stroke background... I have no idea what a valve shim is or what it does? Can someone explain?

Thanks

Coming from a two-stroke background... I have no idea what a valve shim is or what it does? Can someone explain?

Thanks

A valve shim is a small washer (no hole though) type piece of metal that is placed on top of the valve stem that adjust the clearance between the end of the valve stem and the cam lobe (or rocker arm).

Thanks for the explanation. When should you shim vs replace the valves?

only when your valve clearance is out of "spec" will you need to change shims.

basically the gap between the shim (really the bucket- the part that holds the shims and actually rides on the cam lobe) and the cam lobe will decrease over time as the valve seat wears and allows the valve to seat farther into the head. you will need to install smaller shims if the gap becomes too small.

you can check the clearance easily, just follow your owners manual but i'd say from experience that if your bike starts easy your probably ok. when the bike gets hard to start then you may have valve problems.

btw- i come from a 2stroke world and i changed the valves in my 04 no problem. its easy if you search this forum for "how to" articles.

Edited by Thumpy Thumperton
clarity

Thanks for the info.

Chances are your valves were out of spec when it left the factory. Mine were on my 10 and 08.

If you are adjusting them frequently, as opposed to regularly, i wouldn't wait until you run out of shims. If they are moving at a rate it's time to change the valve as once they start stretching, as opposed to bedding/wearing in, they don't stop. They will snap however although the 250s suffer more it happens.