Sign in to follow this  

Can't start my 450R when cold outside

My 2003 450R starts great as long as the temps are above 50F. Hot or cold. As soon as it drops below 40F I cannot start it if my life depended on it. The valves are properly adjusted including the cold start valve. I've had the bike for 3 years, and have no idea what the pilot jet size or needle position is. I want to start riding when it gets cold, but can't! Any suggestions???

Drop in a 45 pilot and see if it helps.

Finally put one in my bike late this year ... not only helps with cold starts, but pulls much better off the bottom now (given aftermarket exhaust allows slightly better air flow) :excuseme:

Only costs a few bucks and will take you 10 minutes max to install.

Worth a look.

** oh and always add a new spark plug if the one that is in your bike is old. Always best to rule the easy stuff out first:thumbsup:

I have to have the choke on, and give the throttle more than 3 twists to get my 06 going when it's below 50. I just ran into this problem the other day trail riding. Got there and I think it was something like 5-6, maybe more twists. I thought I was going to flood it. Other than that, starts as good as any bike here, and runs as well too.

Stock pilot is a 42. Have you tried giving it three twists of the throttle before kicking with the choke on, on cold mornings?

I run a 40 pilot with a Thunder Alley pipe. You shouldnt need a larger pilot even if you have a go fast pipe on there...

I gave it as many as 6 twists, put onthe choke & kicked over (many times). If it does not start, I push in the choke roll back the throttle, hold it fully open & kick it over 10 times to clear it out. I'll then twist the throttle anyware from 2 to 6 times & try to start again. I'll go thru this cycle 6 or 7 times before I give up (get too tired).

Also, tried using starter fluid. Made no difference at all. Would not even fire up for one or two thumps. Starter fluid never worked any other time that I could not start this bike. Why doesn't it?

I have to have the choke on, and give the throttle more than 3 twists to get my 06 going when it's below 50. I just ran into this problem the other day trail riding. Got there and I think it was something like 5-6, maybe more twists. I thought I was going to flood it. Other than that, starts as good as any bike here, and runs as well too.

That's about the same as my '06 ....I use choke and 4 twists even when it's 70 degrees. I think I must have used 12 twists when was only 25 F .. but it started (eventually).

My 05 did exactly the same thing. Try priming it more by twisting the throttle when it is cold. I would do about 10 twists to prime it when it was really cold out (below 45 degrees F). It would then fire up ok and always fire right up the rest of the day without priming. Valves were in spec as I checked them often.

In warm weather it always fired right up.

I gave it as many as 6 twists, put onthe choke & kicked over (many times). If it does not start, I push in the choke roll back the throttle, hold it fully open & kick it over 10 times to clear it out. I'll then twist the throttle anyware from 2 to 6 times & try to start again. I'll go thru this cycle 6 or 7 times before I give up (get too tired).

You may be in an area with 10% ethanol in the fuel which may make it tougher to start when cold.

Wouldnt be so quick to "clear it out". If you think its flooded, pull the hotstart. You may stumble on a drill that works for ya.

Also, if the idle speed is set too high, its out of the pilot circuit which will make it iffy to start also.

Do you have your idle up kinda fast?

UPDATE: Got it started. Adjusted the Decompressor clearance. It was 0.020" (the valve was 0.010" & the total under the decompressor was 0.020"). Reset it to 0.025" per the manual & it started right up.