Sign in to follow this  

Howdee DR650 Pig Owners!

Great forum with many DR experts. I have a mint stone stock 2002 DR650 with low miles...very smooth bike. Did not know a single cylinder could be so smooth at 75-80 mph.

At 6'5" 220 lbs, the Pro Cycle peg lowering kit and bar risers are a must.

My question regarding super mushy suspension is can I get away with tightening the rear shock spanner nut to reduce sag and add heavier fork oil. Or do I have to pay for heavier springs? I ride pretty hard, but this bike will be used for 80% street and wimpy gravel roads. I use the WR450 for trail riding.

How much do I gotta spend at Pro Cycle to get free shipping?:excuseme:

Great forum with many DR experts. I have a mint stone stock 2002 DR650 with low miles...very smooth bike. Did not know a single cylinder could be so smooth at 75-80 mph.

At 6'5" 220 lbs, the Pro Cycle peg lowering kit and bar risers are a must.

My question regarding super mushy suspension is can I get away with tightening the rear shock spanner nut to reduce sag and add heavier fork oil. Or do I have to pay for heavier springs? I ride pretty hard, but this bike will be used for 80% street and wimpy gravel roads. I use the WR450 for trail riding.

How much do I gotta spend at Pro Cycle to get free shipping?:excuseme:

I too thought the engine was quite smooth until I decided to ride from Cairns to Sydney :bonk: 34 hours of thumping makes your hands tingle a little

Definately go with new springs. Infact even with beefier springs I find it a bit too mushy. Can't remember what rate I got but i'd have liked to go a bit stiffer both front and rear, it still wollows too much under braking or hard/sudden hits, but is silky smooth on gravel roads, and I mean silky smooth. I have to concentrate to feel any bumps at all through the bars or pegs. It's just harder hits that it doesn't like

So while still not 100%, will still be at least 10x better than stock

I went with stiffer springs on an '03. A stiffer spring on the rear only made the problem worse. It's like riding a pogo stick. On the road, it constantly bounces, loading and unloading the rear. Going into a rough turn on dirt or gravel roads can be dangerous.

If the shock were more adjustable, you might be able to improve it with just a spring. Since you can't get enough adjustment out of it, springs alone will not help your problem and might make it worse (IMO). Good luck.....

I went with stiffer springs on an '03. A stiffer spring on the rear only made the problem worse. It's like riding a pogo stick. On the road, it constantly bounces, loading and unloading the rear. Going into a rough turn on dirt or gravel roads can be dangerous.

If the shock were more adjustable, you might be able to improve it with just a spring. Since you can't get enough adjustment out of it, springs alone will not help your problem and might make it worse (IMO). Good luck.....

that's not the spring that's the dampening, or lack of. But still not sure how you could possibly say it made it worse. The stock springs are so soft they will pogo like crazy everywhere, and ride in the harshest part of the stroke all the time. Soft springs = pogo, hard springs = rigid. If you ride a sports bike you'll see they have very hard suspension

Going with a spring just on the rear though is a problem, if anything i'd go with springs in the front first. But both together is definately what you want

edit: try jacking your preload up more

05 dr650 with 14k miles on the clock, 215lbs here and did Eiach straight rate springs on the front with 10wt. fork oil in the tubes and for the rear tightened the jam nut for the spring all the way down and put 10wt. shock oil in the rear and the performance could not be better. Can jump my bike now and does not bottom out and rides WAYYYYY better on the street due to the front end does not drop as much under braking.

to supplement the rm forks i put on the front of my '02 650, i put a 76/95 spring on my stock shock and found it made a major improvement in the stability of the bike in rough going; unless that rough going includes loose rocks. traction disappeared whenever the surface got loose. going to a rmz450 shock next week using the same spring.

Well, here is what i've done so far.

JD jet kit, need to dial it in a little better.

Two brothers pipe...kinda loud. Wish Leo Vince made pipes for the DR.

Pro Cycle peg lowering kt..worth the price.

RSW bar risers with CR high bars.

Tool bag, homemade rack and cheap Makita overnight bag $5.

Skid Plate and Hwy foot peg bar.

Added 1" spring spacers (actual springs) on top of stock springs...from an older KTM with same size springs.

011648051.jpg

Bike is finally done and it rips!

JD kit for 6,000ft elevation

3rd clip, 150 main, 1 1/4 fuel screw

Opened top of airbox, K&N filter

2 Bro Pipe with P-3 quiet tip

This bike still starts easy, but can rip around town....worth the upgrades.

...Added 1" spring spacers (actual springs) on top of stock springs...from an older KTM with same size springs.

How 'bout a pic of this set up?

I did the full spring and gold valve emulators with valving to suit fat boy sizing. A also updated the rear shock with new springs and valving. Best mod you can do for a DR650 if you are on the larger size.

Well, here is what i've done so far.

JD jet kit, need to dial it in a little better.

Two brothers pipe...kinda loud. Wish Leo Vince made pipes for the DR.

Pro Cycle peg lowering kt..worth the price.

RSW bar risers with CR high bars.

Tool bag, homemade rack and cheap Makita overnight bag $5.

Skid Plate and Hwy foot peg bar.

Added 1" spring spacers (actual springs) on top of stock springs...from an older KTM with same size springs.

Interesting the 150 jet. I Have dynojet, FMF Q4, Jesse airbox mod and have a 160@ 4200' and is running great. Had it at Big Bend at 1900' and ran great there as well. Last year when stock I ran it over 11.000' and it seemed fine there as well. Where are you in NM? I'm in Las Cruces.

Interesting the 150 jet. I Have dynojet, FMF Q4, Jesse airbox mod and have a 160@ 4200' and is running great. Had it at Big Bend at 1900' and ran great there as well. Last year when stock I ran it over 11.000' and it seemed fine there as well. Where are you in NM? I'm in Las Cruces.

I'm at the other end of the state near Aztec, just south of Durango. I plan on riding the bike to Ouray, CO on the 1st warm weekend we get in late April. Asphalt of course, nothing off-road will be open up there yet. Some of those mtn passes are 10,000ft plus. Bike ran ok with the 155 main, but I wanted to see how she would run with a 150. So far no issues.

Put a little pre-load on the stock rear, 7 turns in. It helps with the sag and bike handles better.

Highly recommend drilling the slide. I used a 3/32 long bit, drill press with fence. I think Keintech uses a #39 bit, but 3/32 is darn close and the throttle response is well worth the mod.

Edited by NMNORGE

I did the full spring and gold valve emulators with valving to suit fat boy sizing. A also updated the rear shock with new springs and valving. Best mod you can do for a DR650 if you are on the larger size.

Probably right, but I use my WR450 for hard riding. The DR is for street and easy jeep roads. I thought the Procycle peg lowering kit and bar risers were the best mod for a 6'4" rider. I have spent enough on mods $500 total, so the suspension will just have survive with the free upgrades I did. :thumbsup:

I'll be up that way later in the year, ride out of Eureka N. of Silverton. Haven't done the slide, maybe (-: but just installed the big header. My higher bars just arrived and suspension is next.