Sign in to follow this  

New KYB metal Free Piston assemblies

Complete assemblies with all new seals.

Fits:

YZ125/250/250F/450F - 06-10

CRF450R - 09-10

KX450F - 07-10

$59 per each assembly.

Total weight per assembly is 63 grams (2.20 ounces). Stock units are 45 grams (1.6 ounces).

Updated shaft seal, (same as 09 to 10 seal).

Fully compatible with EPNP ICS kits.

Lifetime warranty on the metal section(s) of the unit.

Plastic equivalent assemblies are still available for $45.

KYB%20METAL%20FREE%20PISTON.jpg

Is this the weak point of the current KYB suspension?

Well...yes and no.

It is certainly the one part or assembly that is most likely to break, but it doesn't mean that it will break. There are plenty of YZs/CRs/KXs out there that will never have a problem with a free piston.

In general, it's usually the faster or more aggressive riders that have to deal with this problem and would benefit from the stronger design.

So...not a must-have for everyone, but a very good idea to upgrade if you have a broken one and need to replace it, or if you race at a very competitive level and can't risk one breaking on you.

Hope that makes sense.

Nice part Dave. But? IM still on the fence on the open design vs closed. Lately IM thinking closed is best........:excuseme:

Gee I wonder...Nice touch adding your logo to the picture.

Any of you suspension people/dealers reading this want to cut out the middle man...

www.suspensiondirect.com

Link doesn't go anywhere? I just get a white page...:excuseme:

Wonder where you got those dave:ride:

They come from Dan Worley at Suspension Direct. They have done a great job on these for a great price, so I’m going to offer them as an option…for obvious reasons.

Gee I wonder...Nice touch adding your logo to the picture.

I didn’t want you stealing the photo and using it to sell stuff on eBay.

Any of you suspension people/dealers reading this want to cut out the middle man...

Yes, go direct and purchase them for $9 more than what I am selling them for, and you don’t get a warranty, and you get to talk with someone that has no idea what the part is or what it does.

Great advice. :excuseme:

Anything else?

Let's see if this works better?

http://www.suspensiondirect.com/index.htm

Ah…well…let’s not drop the soap in the middle of this love trilogy. :bonk:

Sweet! I thought they should of been metal when I found how many do break

Nice part Dave. But? IM still on the fence on the open design vs closed. Lately IM thinking closed is best........:excuseme:

Sorry...got a little distracted from the technical intentions.

So...the way I see it is that we have two issues.

With an open style we have the pressure from the lower chamber pushing on the free piston and therefore creating an added force on the back side, and therefore into the rod. A function of free piston size to the size of the rod.

On the flip side, if we have a closed design we then have a build-up of pressure in the chamber above the free piston, which in turns creates the same scenario of force into the free piston and into the rod...at a different rate.

So obviously the debate is one of progression and how this may vary based on IC spring selection and lower oil level.

Sound about right?

With an open style we have the pressure from the lower chamber pushing on the free piston and therefore creating an added force on the back side, and therefore into the rod. A function of free piston size to the size of the rod.

On the flip side, if we have a closed design we then have a build-up of pressure in the chamber above the free piston, which in turns creates the same scenario of force into the free piston and into the rod...at a different rate.

So obviously the debate is one of progression and how this may vary based on IC spring selection and lower oil level.

Sound about right?

Sounds right. Wonder if someone will make some little subtanks for the free piston? The new CRF 250 dual bleed cap could be the start for the tap in?

It all comes down to the rate of pressure, one would think when the forks come in to midstroke the backside pressure would get high with the open piston.

Sound about right?

Thanks again for bringing great products to our attention!:excuseme:

I drilled my 06 yzf ones and could not feel a real difference to be honest.

Pulled this from a fork the other day. Very sloppy.

I'm just glad that whoever did the design work on the metal pistons paid attention to a few critical details.

FPRT.jpg

I'm still jealous of your photos..wanna go into business?

I've been casually following the suspension forum for the last few months, and I'd really like to thank harrperf for his quality post history. :cheers:

Needless to say I will avoid your services like the plague...keep up the petty and immature postings. :banghead:

I've been casually following the suspension forum for the last few months, and I'd really like to thank harrperf for his quality post history. :cheers:

Needless to say I will avoid your services like the plague...keep up the petty and immature postings. :banghead:

Internet bickering is a waste of time. However, your post bothered me Garret. It's a shame you write off Harris because I can tell from the things said in his posts that he is out in the trenches testing making actual headway developing his own settings. This is where long term successful suspension tuners focus their efforts. The work always sells the business...

It's a shame people are such suckers for promotional propaganda...What would you rather have your suspension guy do with his time.. Out at the track trying things to figure out what suspension does or on the internet all day making PDF's about things he thinks suspension does and/or needs to do. How do you think it makes Harris feel when he comes home after sweating his ass off at some track all day, logs on to thumpertalk and sees some ignorant information that he just actually learned isn't true. All the while, seeing everyone eat it up and calling the author a genius. If he posts what he knows/just learned from testing. 1. He will be attacked and be called a jealous idiot. 2. He will teach the misinformed poster who is ultimately his competition what is actually going on. Most likely, that poster will proclaim these findings as his own without doing any of the work... It's a lose lose. I have told this to Harris in e-mails and any other suspension people I talk to.

Just my 2 cents.

Internet bickering is a waste of time. However, your post bothered me Garret. It's a shame you write off Harris because I can tell from the things said in his posts that he is out in the trenches testing making actual headway developing his own settings. This is where long term successful suspension tuners focus their efforts. The work always sells the business...

It's a shame people are such suckers for promotional propaganda...What would you rather have your suspension guy do with his time.. Out at the track trying things to figure out what suspension does or on the internet all day making PDF's about things he thinks suspension does and/or needs to do. How do you think it makes Harris feel when he comes home after sweating his ass off at some track all day, logs on to thumpertalk and sees some ignorant information that he just actually learned isn't true. All the while, seeing everyone eat it up and calling the author a genius. If he posts what he knows/just learned from testing. 1. He will be attacked and be called a jealous idiot. 2. He will teach the misinformed poster who is ultimately his competition what is actually going on. Most likely, that poster will proclaim these findings as his own without doing any of the work... It's a lose lose. I have told this to Harris in e-mails and any other suspension people I talk to.

Just my 2 cents.

I'll write off anyone/business that goes out on internet boards and makes petty, immature comments. I think its great he's working hard trying to build his business, but getting on here and criticizing others will ultimately erode that hard work. And sadly I have to disagree with you regarding your statement that work sells the business...image, successful advertising and sex sell a business. A good example is Monster energy drinks...that crap is nasty green piss and look how many people drink it up.

And it is a shame people are suckers for promotional propaganda, but lets be honest...most people are dumb.