Sign in to follow this  

Spray Air filter Oil?

Just wondering your thoughts on Air filter oil that comes in a spray can? I assume everyone has seen it, its getting pretty common here in Aus, and its harder to find Liquid oil now. What do you all think, it works the same or better? Or is it complete :excuseme: !!

I'm not a big fan. I've used a few different spray ones and they all seemed about the same. You don't get many filters worth in a can, so you go through it quick, the can gets covered in sticky goo and clogs up on occation. As an air filter oil they seem to work alright, but it is more of a hassle to use for me. I much prefer the belray filter oil in a bottle, or maxima FFT.

I'm not a big fan. I've used a few different spray ones and they all seemed about the same. You don't get many filters worth in a can, so you go through it quick, the can gets covered in sticky goo and clogs up on occation. As an air filter oil they seem to work alright, but it is more of a hassle to use for me. I much prefer the belray filter oil in a bottle, or maxima FFT.

Yep I use the Bel Ray, blue one. Seems to work fine, although I think its still messy! I was wondering what the 'Tackiness' of the spray was like, it doesnt seems as sticky as the oil in a bottle, wonder how well it actually catches the particles of dirt...

My opinion is whether you spray it on or pour it on, you gotta' massage the oil into the filter and squeeze out the excess no matter how the can or bottle works.

That's why years ago I settled on good ol' pour-on oil from a bottle - Maxima FFT.

I'll use a spray at an off-road race if a air filter swap is needed (hopefully I'd be smart enough to come to the race with an oiled filter in a bag) or if I'm in a super hurry to go riding with the buds and the filter is drying in the garage overnight, but 9 times out of 10 I use the oil in a pour bottle. Then massage it in, being careful not to get any on the filter edge where it connects to the airbox. I grease that contact area up and press together with my fingers repeatedly to get a seal.

For me, the air filter is something I like to take my time with and make sure the evil debris stays out, hence the non-spray approach.

Yep I use the Bel Ray, blue one. Seems to work fine, although I think its still messy! I was wondering what the 'Tackiness' of the spray was like, it doesnt seems as sticky as the oil in a bottle, wonder how well it actually catches the particles of dirt...

Most of them tack up pretty well after a few minutes. They are like FFT, really thin at first, then they thicken up and become tacky after 10 minutes or so. As mentioned, you still need to work the oil into the filter to get an even coating.

Bel-ray foam filter oil for me. Only real downside, like already mentioned is you dont get as many uses out of the can. PJ1 has worked well too, but starts to get stringy almost instantly and can make a mess. With both sprays I have never seen any evidence at all of any debris making it through the filter.