Sign in to follow this  

how do i fix this oil leak?

the part that is leaking is the ball right behind the countershaft sprocket. at first i thought it was the countershaft seals so i replaced them, easy enough. and i started it without the sprocket on to verify i had fixed the leak. then i noticed it leaking out from that ball bearing thingy. first off, what the hell is it, and second how do i stop it from leaking oil. it leaks quite a bit. id say a drop falls off the bottom of my bike every 10-15 seconds that the bike is running. here are some pictures to help.

DSC_1899.jpg

DSC_1896.jpg

Edited by jmeperu

They can't get all the oil feeds to proper locations without drilling holes such as this one. So,they plug one side of the hole with a steel ball that you see. I'd peen several points around the hole with a punch to tighten the casting around the ball. I've never seen one leak but, if you know it's coming from there I believe your options are limited since you have oil pressure there. Don't go overboard with preening. It probably won't take much.

ok, i peened and filled the hole with honda bond liquid gasket. it doesnt leak anymore! weird that they plug it with a ball. why not thread it and put a short bolt in?

ok, i peened and filled the hole with honda bond liquid gasket. it doesnt leak anymore! weird that they plug it with a ball. why not thread it and put a short bolt in?

cheaper and more efficient to simply press a ball into the hole. think about it, if you put a threaded part in there you have to tap the hole, insert a threaded plug with sealant on it and thread it in.....

Like said above, this leak almost never happens and you are one of the lucky ones to have witnessed the leak.

There are many things they could do better on bikes, but there is a point that you must weight the gains against the cost.... If there were 20 refinements on a bike that could be simple to make during manufacturing, but the cost was going to average out to $25 for each item adding $500 to the price of the bike and the only difference to the end customer was some refinements that they didn't even know were an issue and the added price, why do it.