Sign in to follow this  

Timing, valve adjustment, cam chain?

Ok first of all I'm having alot of problems starting my 05 450 it will bump start fine but u can kick it 100 times... and it will back fire and pop it did this one other time we had the vavles adjusted and it kick started fine.. but my question is... what makes this things need adjusted so much it was only months ago that we did and wasnt ran very hard at all since last valve adjustment and second... the tech told me i may have a "stretchy" cam chain... could this have anything to do with it? I'm going to install a new "proX" cam chain are these any good and what all will i need to install this chain any new gaskets, etc?

I'm really kinda scared of trying this myself i know how to get it on TDC and all with the spark plug out...but i hear the cam dots has to point away from each other and must be like 15 counts in between cam chain links?

goodness sakes I dont know what to do... its my sons bike and im trying to make it right for him.. its been a very dependable bike

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/bonk.gif

any help please!

I suggest you have good read of the repair manual first and follow the instructions as you go. It can be a bit difficult if you have not done this sort of work before.

The first two things I would suggest is adjust the cam chain tensioner first and then check the valve clearence.

If you dont have a repair manual I know I down loaded one from this site once, I am sure if do a search you will find the link.

Good luck.

Ok bud thanks for your input keep it coming please let me know how tough this is going to be

I dont know about prox camchains, but i have tried a wiseco chain. It was a lot more worn at 30 hours than the oem was at 130 hours.

I would go with OEM.

If you are replacing your cam chain (OEM is the only way to go!), be sure to replace the cam chain guides, as well, as these are "wear" parts.

Ditto on all the above comments, the Suzuki manuals are very good with descriptions and pictures for the majority of maintenance items. My advice is take your time, make notes, take your own pics of how things are assembled before you disassemble, and allow for double or triple the amount of time you think it will take you if it is your first time working on the internals of a 4-stroke engine.

Thank you folks... please keep comments coming... do i use a feelers guage to stick under the cam lobes for the correct valve shim adjustments?

Thank you folks... please keep comments coming... do i use a feelers guage to stick under the cam lobes for the correct valve shim adjustments?

bullshipus please don't take this wrong, but if you are asking this question then personally I think you are biting off more then you can chew in replacing the t chain. I'm all for people learning how to work on their own stuff, but I think in your situation maybe you can get a friend to help you.

Off of your first post, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Are you saying your valves are out of adjustment again or are you saying your cam timing is off slightly because of a stretched chain?

Both can be checked easily, by putting your piston at tdc compression and understanding where all the alignment marks are suppose to be. A stretched chain, the marks will be off slightly, if you jumped timing the marks will be off farther. Also I would imagine your manual timing chain adjuster will be out really far out. Your owner's manual should show you all of this and then using the right size feeler gauge to check your valve clearance.

If you just recently had to adjust your valves because they zeroed out and they are out of adjustment again. Then you'll most likely need your valves replaced and the seats recut. Hopefully this isn't the issue.

Ohhhhhh wow... never heard of issues of replacing the valves and having new seats cut?? oh I bet this one is going to cost me.... what im asking is... can a stretched timing chain make your valves be out of adjustment?

I hate trying to pay shop fees plus parts this time of year with xmas coming and all but i would like to get my sons bike fixed so it will kick start... although something else i have just thought about we've been adding a bottle of octane booster and carb cleaner per tank full of exxon 93 octane could this be an issue with kick starting? I know it says 1 bottle per 25 gallons... of gasoline.

Ohhhhhh wow... never heard of issues of replacing the valves and having new seats cut?? oh I bet this one is going to cost me.... what im asking is... can a stretched timing chain make your valves be out of adjustment?

I hate trying to pay shop fees plus parts this time of year with xmas coming and all but i would like to get my sons bike fixed so it will kick start... although something else i have just thought about we've been adding a bottle of octane booster and carb cleaner per tank full of exxon 93 octane could this be an issue with kick starting? I know it says 1 bottle per 25 gallons... of gasoline.

No, a stretched chain cannot cause your valves to be out of adjustment. It'll only take you about 45 mins of your time to check out the valves and cam timing. If this checks good, then dump out the gas from tank, and float bowl. Refuel with good gas and recheck. If this is good then something might be clogged in carb, particularly the pilot circuit. Hopefully one of these suggestions will help you out:thumbsup:

How many hours are on the bike?

How many times have you had the valves adjusted?

From what you described, your valves are wearing and cuping (sinking into the head)

Hard to kick start, but will bump start are signs of needing your valves adjusted.

Repeated valve adjustments are a sign of a worn valve train.

i paid aroun $200 from my local shop to have my seats re-cut the last time. What is a normal price you think?

I hope they did a lot more than re-cut the seats for that price. $50 is all it should be, max.

guess i got robbed then, cause i ordered all of my own parts and installed them myself.

Eric Gore would be my first recomendation if your head needs an overhaul. GSR Rase porting would be my second. Either way your gonna get the best quality at a good price.

I would think $200 at a dealership is about right, ususaly labor is aboute $80-$85 an hour. I have sent both 2 strokes and four strokes to eric and they are great runners.

I ran octane boost in my 05 and when I did it became really hard to start.I would change the fuel before I try anything else. If that doesn't work I would try cleaning the carb. Whenever I had trouble starting my 05 it was cured with pulling the carb. apart and cleaning it.