Sign in to follow this  

6' tall on a tr-125l

is there anybody else that is 6 foot and rides a ttr-125l?
I'm 6'4 and am working on a set up for our LE.

Should only need a bar riser set up with a decent set of bars and longer control lines, tall seat, and a suspension swap. It'll cost some bucks but.... it's just too fun. :bonk:

Every time I go to work on it it have to tweak something in the power department, then while I'm taking it out for a test spin something else lets loose that's a requirement to make the bike run.... :excuseme:

I can't keep my stupid butt off of it long enough to finish the job.:smirk:

-Kerry

I ride my sons from time to time to show him how it is done but no they are just too small and under suspended.

I'm 6'4 and am working on a set up for our LE.

Should only need a bar riser set up with a decent set of bars and longer control lines, tall seat, and a suspension swap. It'll cost some bucks but.... it's just too fun. :bonk:

Every time I go to work on it it have to tweak something in the power department, then while I'm taking it out for a test spin something else lets loose that's a requirement to make the bike run.... :excuseme:

I can't keep my stupid butt off of it long enough to finish the job.:smirk:

-Kerry

how high are you thinking about raising those bars?

I ride my sons from time to time to show him how it is done but no they are just too small and under suspended.

Hence the suspension swap, among other mods - remember full size adults race these things, too. My sons outgrew this size, so they don't ride it. I figured I keep it around, since I had put a few grand into it in a year. Now it's a continual project... a money pit. The niece also wants to ride it...:smirk:

how high are you thinking about raising those bars?
Right now I have it at about 2". We used a bar riser method I got from one of the posters here.

You grab an extra set of top clamps, and some longer bolts with nuts or bushings as spacers. You'll need the longer cables to make it work. Motion-Pro sells cables that are about 2-3" longer. The brake line needs work, the stock line is too short to work well - right now it's re-rerouted, but with the YZ front end, that would be an instant fix. I also roll the bars forward a bit to give my knees room which helps with the brake line.

With a tall seat foam, that puts the seat height at about 34-35". I'm sure it would be 36" with a suspension swap, which would be along the size of a bigger bike with a lowering link. :excuseme:

The bike is more nimble with the smaller wheels and shorter wheel base. It isn't a huge power monster, it's just fun to ride.:bonk:

Being Mrs CH is "in a family way" currently, she can't ride her bike, so I take it for a spin from time to time so it doesn't feel neglected. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:excuseme:

I'm 6-2, 210, and to me, it's a pit bike.

As for bar risers, I bought the 3" bar riser-1-1/8" adapters when I put the ProTapers on.

i got one for my lady to learn to ride on and i ride it for fun around the house and pits. Im 6' 2" 185. its definitly undersprung but it can be changed for a little extra money. since i just got mine im saving up to do a few things before summer hits so it will ride and rev better for both of us.

Springs are easy to replace - but how do you tall guys handle the short seat-to-peg distance? I can only ride my wife's TT-R125 for a half hour or so before my knees are screaming for mercy. And my inseam is only 29 inches!

Springs are easy to replace - but how do you tall guys handle the short seat-to-peg distance? I can only ride my wife's TT-R125 for a half hour or so before my knees are screaming for mercy. And my inseam is only 29 inches!

That's the same problem I have-I could put a tall seat foam in, but that would make the bike unridable for the Mrs (she's hobbit sized).

But, I don't ride it for extended periods, it's a little pit bike to me.....20 mins screwing around is enough. More than that, and I get stupid and get hurt.:banghead:

im the same as chicken. i just ride it around the pits or around the house to play around. its not a bike i ride for long periods

Being Mrs CH is "in a family way" currently, she can't ride her bike, so I take it for a spin from time to time so it doesn't feel neglected. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:banghead:

I'm 6-2, 210, and to me, it's a pit bike.

As for bar risers, I bought the 3" bar riser-1-1/8" adapters when I put the ProTapers on.

I ride Mrs.DrT's all the time, it's a blast. I'm just a hair under 6'.

We have the BBR tall triple clamp and a pair of MSR Quad bars on it. A bit narrow for me, but the Mrs like them.

I'm 5'11" 225lbs and am very comfortable on the L. The rear suspension is how it was when I got it (I think the silver spring is stock). It can wheelie in 2nd if you hit it right. My only complaint is how soft the front forks are sprung, but I hear for $70 you can get 30% stiffer springs and solve that. I was complaining about the stock forks the other day until I hit some hard dirt that was rutted from construction vehicles about 6" or so and hit it at a perpendicular angle and it soaked it all up without tossing me or making me uneasy. Very smooth and didn't bottom that I noticed and thats with 10wt fork oil filled to the factory level.

If I was lighter I bet the bike would be even more capable. Most times I don't use all the power, but in the soft stuff (especially sand) coming out of the corners it could use a bit more grunt to keep you up and get out of it and maybe kick out the rear tire some, although that is minor as well and its not lacking that much power.

I think the only one's who thinks it underpowered are the motox'ers or those who try to jump it, which its not meant to do.