can i re-use and oil ring?

I am installing a new piston in my 08 wr250f. When I was trying to slide the cylinder over the piston I bent the top oil ring. The old ones are still in good shape. Can I re-use one of them or should I buy a new one and wait to finish this job for a week?

Thanks.

Tim

with it being 4stroke thats a lot of work if it leaks. i would replace it.

with it being 4stroke thats a lot of work if it leaks. i would replace it.

agreed! Save yourself the stress of 'wondering' if it will be ok!

if i did use the old one, what might possibly happen. What would be the symptom of it going bad? Smoke coming out the exhaust?

get a new one.

if i did use the old one, what might possibly happen. What would be the symptom of it going bad? Smoke coming out the exhaust?

Anybody on what would be a symptom of the old ring failing?

Anybody on what would be a symptom of the old ring failing?

Oil will start being sucked in the cylinder and you'll start getting smoke out of the exhaust at a fairly constant rate. The oil rings are controlling the amount of oil for piston/cylinder lubrication.

if its within specs, use it. insert the ring in the cilinder and measure the gap between the ends( end gap on the manual). make sure the ring is leveled on the cilinder wend measure the gap.

it's a bit hard to explain, but sometimes it's the piston that makes an engine smoke oil, due to the wear on the ring cases, making the oil pass between the piston's ring cases and ring itself, working as an oil pump.

thanks for all of the replies everyone

Replace it...

How often do you rebuild it? Ze has the technically accurate answer. You could run it and put the new ring on top and the used one on bottom. What can happen? It won't scrape as much oil off as a new one, so a little more oil might get up to the middle ring... big deal. If some oil gets past the top ring, it will smoke some. If you ride every week and get to 50 hours quickly, I'd say use it and replace it next rebuild. If you wait longer between rebuilds, better to replace it.

How often do you rebuild it? Ze has the technically accurate answer. You could run it and put the new ring on top and the used one on bottom. What can happen? It won't scrape as much oil off as a new one, so a little more oil might get up to the middle ring... big deal. If some oil gets past the top ring, it will smoke some. If you ride every week and get to 50 hours quickly, I'd say use it and replace it next rebuild. If you wait longer between rebuilds, better to replace it.

This is my first rebuild. The bike has 71 hours. It's coming up on 2 years old so I don't ride that often. Still deciding.

chek the cilinder wall and the old rings contact side. if both are not scrached( scored, marked, seized, wathever...), and assuming that the end gap on the rings are OK, you shoud be good.

BTW, how worn was the piston? how often do you change oil? how often do you clean air filter? can you pst pics of your old piston front and back?

chek the cilinder wall and the old rings contact side. if both are not scrached( scored, marked, seized, wathever...), and assuming that the end gap on the rings are OK, you shoud be good.

BTW, how worn was the piston? how often do you change oil? how often do you clean air filter? can you pst pics of your old piston front and back?

The piston looked ok. I change oil at about 6 hours and AF about every 2 rides. All the valves were in spec and have never been adjusted. I'll post pics of the piston soon.