Sign in to follow this  

Getting a 2000 drz400s

Hey, heard about this forum and site from my brother who just found you guys about a week or two ago. I just made a deal on a 2000 drz400s, 7200 miles, new tires and new battery. The guy owns a shop/up coming dealer, so when the new battery comes in he's gonna take a test ride and if it needs it he'll throw in a new clutch for me too. The bike is an ex-police bike but is in great shape and I can't wait to get it and start riding. Currently I've got a Suzuki katana 750 sport bike but miss being able to go down trails on 2 wheels. I've had a 100cc, 200cc and a 225cc dual sports in the past, and am happy to finally have something thats got some real power to it compared to those other dual sports.

I just ordered the manual cam chain tensioner after reading that it is a recommended upgrade. Anything else i should think about or get for it for preventative maintenance?

Forks and a shock off a 2002+ DRZ.

Seriously, hate to bear bad news, but the forks and shock on the 2000 and 2001 S are no good. If you want to ride the bike offroad at all, you'll need to replace the suspension.

how much do you want to spend ? :excuseme:

Haha not a whole lot, as long as the bike is safe and reliable thats all that really matters to me. I've already got a Jeep that is a money pit.

I was thinking of the hand guards, because i know this bike is probably going down some time, as well as a skid eventually. For now i'm just going to be riding the bike to commute to class and little offroad stuff.

the clutch and stator covers are a must have as the covers are very thin and prone to damage. The TT skid plate is also an excellent investment as are unabiker radiator guards.

Read the DRZ FAQ and pay special attention to the Loc Tite fixes. Lots of peace of mind there.

Good Luck!

tom

Forks and a shock off a 2002+ DRZ.

Seriously, hate to bear bad news, but the forks and shock on the 2000 and 2001 S are no good. If you want to ride the bike offroad at all, you'll need to replace the suspension.

While I agree the 01 and older suspension isn't the best out there, it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

I've been riding on the stock suspension for 3 years now, and have ridden a few enduro's and dual sports. While it does lack some important features/newer technology, it certainly is capable off road.

Hey i'm happy as long as its better than the POS xt225 i used to have. MCCT, is that the manual cam chain tensioner? If so i already have it on order. My brother joined on here either 1 or 2 weeks ago and read that was one of the first/important mods he read about to do to ensure a long life, and i just helped him do that two days ago to his bike. That should be here by the weekend and that's when I'm picking the bike up so i'll get it done first thing.

While I agree the 01 and older suspension isn't the best out there, it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

I've been riding on the stock suspension for 3 years now, and have ridden a few enduro's and dual sports. While it does lack some important features/newer technology, it certainly is capable off road.

Yeah, you're right. Much better riders than I'll ever be rode and raced on that kind of suspension for many many years. :excuseme:

Po-Po uses Zeds for Police work in NC too? I was watching a 007 movie and he got pulled over in Panama or Argentina by a couple of Zeds in the film. Couldnt tell if they were 400s or 650s. Sounded just like mine when it was a stocker tho.

They're 650's-no radiators in the movie. Quantum of Solace.

Low mileage for a bike that age.....and it'll do you just fine (I know, I have a double-ought that I beat mercilessly and it never skips a beat). MCCT.....then jet and 3x3.....maybe change the gearing (I love 14/47 for woods ability, just enough to live with on the street).....then a pipe.........some armor (rad guards, case savers, hand guards)........and then, and then....and then........it keeps on going!

Enjoy!

Po-Po uses Zeds for Police work in NC too? I was watching a 007 movie and he got pulled over in Panama or Argentina by a couple of Zeds in the film. Couldnt tell if they were 400s or 650s. Sounded just like mine when it was a stocker tho.

Not its not from NC, It turns out it was from a campus Police in Phili PA, guy i'm getting it from said 'what the hell i'm already going up there and getting one up there, might as well bring home more' kind of thing. It was from a state auction.

Also, i've got the MCCT on order, and eventually might make or buy some skids but i dont think i'm gonna do sprockets, MAYBE exhaust and jets if i can find some cheap. This will be a daily driver for me and i like the road manners of my brothers so far, kinda wish there was more top end but don't want to loose the bottom end it does have to get it, so probably not going to do sprokets.

Has anyone on here made their own skid for the bottom? also what does the radiator guard actually do? i dont quite get what it really is from the pics?

Not its not from NC, It turns out it was from a campus Police in Phili PA, guy i'm getting it from said 'what the hell i'm already going up there and getting one up there, might as well bring home more' kind of thing. It was from a state auction.

Also, i've got the MCCT on order, and eventually might make or buy some skids but i dont think i'm gonna do sprockets, MAYBE exhaust and jets if i can find some cheap. This will be a daily driver for me and i like the road manners of my brothers so far, kinda wish there was more top end but don't want to loose the bottom end it does have to get it, so probably not going to do sprokets.

Has anyone on here made their own skid for the bottom? also what does the radiator guard actually do? i dont quite get what it really is from the pics?

the main benefit of good radiator guards is impact protection. they basically prevent the radiators from squashing during a drop or crash.

without them, one good drop can damage the rads to the point of failure(leak).

they also provide more protection form the front than the oem plastic guards.

unabikers do a good job

the main benefit of good radiator guards is impact protection. they basically prevent the radiators from squashing during a drop or crash.

without them, one good drop can damage the rads to the point of failure(leak).

they also provide more protection form the front than the oem plastic guards.

unabikers do a good job

So basically they do the exact same thing as like an engine cage on a stunt/sport bike, but for just the radiator?

Because when i looked at them they didn't look like they'd stop a whole lot more debris say coming head on than original, so thats what i was confused about.

Also if thats the case on how they work, i may just have my buddy who's got a performance shop for everything from prowlers to rock crawlers to make me a little cage around the radiator and save some dough, and possibly make my own skid on the bottom out of spare metal i've got laying around.