Sign in to follow this  

Arizona dual sporting N. Sycamore

Great day for a nice little dual sport! The weather was fantastic. Perfect for being on a bike.

When I first started riding four years ago, I found the trails on the west side of the Verde and the signs for FR160. I also saw signs for FR160 off the Beeline at Paintball. I've always wanted to cross the Verde from the west side and ride N. Sycamore, which has to be done before Dec. 1. And I've also wanted to ride the length of FR 160 from the Verde to the Beeline. Today was the day!

crossverdensycamore.jpg

Chad and I started out from the Starbucks at Scottsdale Rd. and Pinnacle Peak Rd. and headed along the powerlines northeast to Dynamite Rd. We took Dynamite straight east to the Verde River, about 18 miles from my house.

HPIM2080.jpg

We checked out a couple of spots along the Verde before coming to a wide shallow crossing. I wanted to walk across first to see what it was like. It wasn't too deep, maybe 10 inches at the most, but the river rocks were slick with grass.

HPIM2085.jpg

HPIM2086.jpg

HPIM2096.jpg

Now that our boots were nice and wet, I jumped on my bike first and promptly dumped it about halfway across. (Video of my dumping my bike in the Verde to come.) We pushed my bike to the other side and found the engine was water locked. Fun, fun.

HPIM2098.jpg

Fortunately, Chad knew what to do. After I pulled off the air filter (which was soaked with river water) we stood my bike straight up on the rear wheel and watched a ton of water empty out the cylinder, carb and airbox. After that, the engine turned and fired, but wouldn't stay running. Again, Chad was the brains here. He headed back across the river for his wrench set. We emptied the float bowl of the carb, flushed it with gasoline, and my bike fired right up.

HPIM2100.jpg

HPIM2102.jpg

Now all Chad had to do was cross the river on foot for the sixth time (!), get his bike and ride it across. You can see how smoothly he did so.

th_HPIM2106.jpg

Now that we were across, it was a straight run east to Otero Tank. After crossing some dry river rock and making our way through some deep silt, it was hilly rocky jeep track most of the way, with a little sand wash here and there.

Here you can see Dynamite Rd. in the background:

HPIM2121.jpg

HPIM2110.jpg

HPIM2131.jpg

From Otero Tank, we continued along FR 160, which drops into Sycamore Creek, all the way to Paintball.

HPIM2135.jpg

HPIM2140.jpg

HPIM2144.jpg

We looped back around to Otero on Mule Springs and Indiana North, and then rode Otero Jeep/FR160 all the back to the Verde.

HPIM2146.jpg

HPIM2148.jpg

HPIM2149.jpg

HPIM2150.jpg

We cut through a section of Tonto northeast of Needle Rock before popping out on 144th Street and heading back down to Dynamite.

HPIM2154.jpg

Six and half hours total trip time, 68.7 miles (for me). Thanks Chad for saving my bike and for a great ride!

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/harjp/Verde%20to%20N%20Sycamore%2011-27-09/?albumview=slideshow

Edited by harjp1959

Great ride today... and Great ride report too! As you said it was an absolutely PERFECT day for a ride!! As promised I have the link to your water sample in the Verde. I was gonna Edit out the F-Bomb at the end of the clip but I think it was perfect!!!! :excuseme:

Well... the only bummer is that I didn't get the video of you going back across at the end of the day...you sure made it look easy that time!!!:excuseme:

Well... the only bummer is that I didn't get the video of you going back across at the end of the day...you sure made it look easy that time!!!:excuseme:
Yeah, it's call walking your bike through water! :bonk:

and a couple more....

Edited by cb60130
more video links

good pics i miss the desert, that didnt look like a ds ride weres the hwy.lol

Harry,

looks like I missed out on a fun ride. Maybe you should update your avatar with a little Verde river crossing action. :banghead: That looked almost as graceful as that plunge I took into Sycamore creek right in front of you.

Maybe you should update your avatar with a little Verde river crossing action. :banghead:
Pretty impressive, huh?

good pics i miss the desert, that didnt look like a ds ride weres the hwy.lol

:banghead: Just no pics......we all know what hwy's look like.

I have always wanted to do that cross the verde thing...Well done. Lame crash Harry, for sure. Maybe the lamest I have ever seen on video. Damn moss....Harry can you send me the garmin file por favor? I want to add it to my syc data. When can we gonna do it again?