XR400 Hub Question

Some of you might remember my issue with both my wheels about 8-9 months ago, if not here is the short story: Both my wheels went bad, Front Rim was cracked and rear hub was worn out.

Anyways I picked up a set of Excel Rims Talon Hubs from eBay from a guy who was parting out an XR400. It took some time before I got around to mounting a set of tires on them and getting them on the bike. Front went on no problem but I discovered I either got shorted a rear wheel spacer or lost it in the few months it took me to get tires mounted... Anyways I called Talon who referred me to there US distributor QTM in Anaheim. By using the number stamped on the hub and bike model they sent me the "correct spacers".

Here is the problem/ question: There is about 2X the gap between the wheel and swingarm then with the stock wheel. How much is it ok to squeeze the swingarm to touch the wheel? Should I throw a washer in there? Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should be. :excuseme:

Old Wheel:

1_Old.JPG

New Wheel:

2_New1.JPG

Spacers:

Sprocket_Spacer.JPGDisc_Spacer.JPG

My bike (xr400) is apart so I have taken some measurements for you.

It is difficult to measure, but my stock wheel + spacers is 171.5mm wide, the caliper bracket where it sits on the axle is 25.5mm wide (171.5+25.5 = 197mm)

The swingarm measures just under 201mm inside. So on my bike the swingarm is pulled in 4mm when I do the axle nut up.

Edited by Garth Knight

Awesome Garth, thanks!

If you look at my measurements it's about 4-5 32nds which is 3mm-4mm so maybe I shouldn't be worried. I'll dig out my calipers and compare your measurements to my bike.

I measured my stuff here is what I got:

New Wheel: Spacer-Spacer = 6.75" x 25.4 = 171.45mm :excuseme:

Caliper Bracket = 1" x 25.4 = 25.4mm :bonk:

Swingarm = 7.9" x 25.4 = 200.7mm :smirk:

Gap = 7.9"-(6.75"+1")= 0.15" x 25.4 = 3.8mm :foul:

Thanks again!

My bike (xr400) is apart so I have taken some measurements for you.

It is difficult to measure, but my stock wheel + spacers is 171.5mm wide, the caliper bracket where it sits on the axle is 25.5mm wide (171.5+25.5 = 197mm)

The swingarm measures just under 201mm inside. So on my bike the swingarm is pulled in 4mm when I do the axle nut up.