Sign in to follow this  

klx 300 or 250 2t

which would be better suited toa beach enviroment and hill climbing (sand hill climbs).

-5ft7

-ride a crf230, xr200, tf125

-already found ones to buy can't decide hard decision

-how do the top and bottom ends compare

The KLX300 is just a better XR250. It's more modern (more power ~ better suspension) than a XR250 or your CRF230 / XR200. But still, it's a nice bike that will return many years of faithful service. Just do not plan on racing it or doing any serious MX track days. Power wise ~ lot's of low end and decent midrange, reving it out only makes more noise.

A MX 250 2 stroke will destroy a KLX power wise from the mid range on. It's lighter and easier to work on, but it will bite you if you do not respect it.

By far the 250 2t will do better in the sand and in the hills mostly because it's lighter and will have 15 to 20 hp more than a KLX300.

Only buy the 250 2t if you think that you are really ready for a major increase in horse power.

• Like 1

4 strokes are kings for sand - not sure what you mean zig when u say a 250t will be better on sand? high end revs will have her spinning all over the place compared to a 4 stroke that can crawl and climb anything - go for a klx 300/250 400 - dont bother with a 200 or less you will get bored of it.

4 strokes are kings for sand - not sure what you mean zig when u say a 250t will be better on sand? high end revs will have her spinning all over the place compared to a 4 stroke that can crawl and climb anything - go for a klx 300/250 400 - dont bother with a 200 or less you will get bored of it.

If we are talking about sand dunes then yes, a 450 4t will be better than a 250 2t. If we are talking about 3rd gear sandy trails, I'll take my 250 2t.

And for what it's worth Lower Michigan is mostly sand and I use to own a 450 and in all honesty yes the 450 had it's moments but the weight of a 450 over miles of sandy trails sucked. I've gone back to a 250 2t picked up speed, saved some money and I now enjoy riding again.

If I was just playing around on a easy dual sport trail, then I would own a 4t. But a fast single track trail through the woods is still 2t country. Matter of fact for many years the pro's stuck with 2t's because they were still faster. They only went to the 450's when the factories stopped selling them.