Sign in to follow this  

my 470 startup plan

1) Find a relatively new/brand new starter on eBay

2) New starter and ground wires

3) Verify cam timing on engine

4) Jumper to a car battery with huge CCA

5) Hope and pray before pushing the button

I do have a manual decomp I will play with a little bit before the starter, but since everyone else with this setup doesn't use one and I have to for some reason, I obviously have some other problem I need to solve.

Even though I refurbed my current starter, apparently the windings could be toast from my repeated abusive high amperage starting attempts.

BTW, in the other thread, I did not want to list the steps I went through because I thought you guys were asking about how I built the engine.

So far my steps for starting were to try with stock battery....no dice

Try with truck jumpered, no dice

Take DRZ wiring out of equation and jump directly to starter...again, no dice

Then for arguments sake I hooked up the truck to the battery terminals on the bike and did a bunch of delta V tests across components while trying to start. The only place I lost significant voltage was the starter relay, which lost .25 volts.

i've been following your previous thread Aaron. sounds like a good plan to me.

Good luck and God Bless! we look forward to your outcome and pray for your success!

tom

5) Hope and pray before pushing the button

I do have a manual decomp I will play with a little bit before the starter, but since everyone else with this setup doesn't use one and I have to for some reason, I obviously have some other problem I need to solve.

Even though I refurbed my current starter, apparently the windings could be toast from my repeated abusive high amperage starting attempts.

BTW, in the other thread, I did not want to list the steps I went through because I thought you guys were asking about how I built the engine.

Then for arguments sake I hooked up the truck to the battery terminals on the bike and did a bunch of delta V tests across components while trying to start. The only place I lost significant voltage was the starter relay, which lost .25 volts.

Think I got fairly same setup ,470 , rhc cams and manual decomp.

It was hard to turn the engine even with the big yausa 10a battery.

Once it got turning , it fired right up ,but it wasn't enough juice to do this several times in a row.

Fitted the decomp , and found it could be used both as on a kicker and just holding the lever in and just fire up.

If your cams are out of sync ,it will anyway be hard to start, so you should check your timing first.

If you also have a high cr , it will take more to turn the engine

Usually, my bike fires up at first stroke ,and don't need a lot of crancking.

When you tighten the lobe seperation you also increase cranking pressure.

I would look carefully at cam timing.

Aaron,,, I thought you were done working on this? I would have left the other thread open.

Good to see your still interested in trying to find a solution :excuseme:

Or have what you have checked and serviced by a repair shop.

Yes check all of the grounds... not just the wires for low resistance, but a low Ohm path from the distant end of the wire all the way back to the battery.

BIG YES on that one

and measure the amp draw while starting.

Simple meter test will tell you what the resistance is in the starter windings. But really take it to a small motor or starter shop locally.. let them have a look..

Aaron, I too was unable to reliably start my motor without the Manual decomp. So don’t think your alone on that point. And even then, with a OEM sized battery it was just a few starts a ride and I would be dead again.. Riding an hour at a time between starts would not recharge the battery enough to overcome the drain at start up.

I think what your going to find a several things that are just a bit off, causing your hard starting. No one large fault you'll point to and fix, but several smaller items, worn starter, poor ground path, cam timing off a bit so having less overlap causing more dynamic compression.

Sure wish another trusted wrench could have a look for you..... it may be something that afresh set of eyes will find right away.

Edited by E.Marquez

Can I add this question in here? I assume my yosh 450 E has the auto decompression because I don't do anything other than hit the start button. Is there something bad about the auto decomp? Thanks