Sign in to follow this  

...and yet another ban!

Our local city council here in Lakeport, Ca has an Ordinance that I am trying to fight.

$100 fine for first time, $500 every time after that! It is a complete ban on any use of an OHV in the city limits. We may not even be able to start them!

Yes we have public areas to ride but that is not the point.

We dont have a big issue here with people riding in the city limits. Our city council said so, and our police chief said so. It is in response to one kid that rides his RM80 every once in awile in a ritsy part of our small city of around 5000 people.

We already have a current sound ordinance that applies to all noise. But the kid is within those and his dad basically told the city to f*** off.

Someone hates dirt bikes is what it all boils down too.

I made this up and am giving it to every OHV person I can find!

scan0002-1.jpg

you guy's aint gonna like this, BUT it's always some pinhead on a buzz bomb 80 or 125 tearing around pissing people off that causes ordinance problems.

we have the same trouble here.

They already have that Law in Effect up here in the High Desert, Hesperia, Ca......has been for a couple of years......Good Luck!

I say we just wait till 2012 and none of this will be a problem anymore? :bonk:

We can only hope..:excuseme:

Seriously why do you care?? Do you WANT to ride your bike around on city property or something ??? Bi-laws are based on COMPLAINTS received by the public.

This is a fairly normal bi-law. Most cities already have one.

Yes, it only takes ONE idiot to have bi-laws like this enacted.

If you want to blame somebody, blame the idiot who was ripping around on his bike irresponsibly. Its ass clowns like this that give everybody a bad name, and the reason why these laws get enacted in the first place.

Edited by supervokes

Seriously why do you care?? Do you WANT to ride your bike around on city property or something ??? Bi-laws are based on COMPLAINTS received by the public.

This is a fairly normal bi-law. Most cities already have one.

Yes, it only takes ONE idiot to have bi-laws like this enacted.

If you want to blame somebody, blame the idiot who was ripping around on his bike irresponsibly. Its ass clowns like this that give everybody a bad name, and the reason why these laws get enacted in the first place.

you are right in regard to some making noise and upsetting peoples privacy.

however there are many enviromentalists who live for taking away our rights to ride,those are the ones you should be mad at.with the enviros it does not matter how respectful you are they just want to take away your rights period!

This has nothing to do with environmentalists ... its a city council.

Thousands of cities has the same form of bi-law.

I know that people try to relate everything to the environmentalists .. BUT the reality its the idiots like in this example who are riding their dirt bikes on city property that are providing them with ammunition.

Nobody wants to see ANY area closed ... but we need to look close the reason areas are closing. It is not because of 99% of people who are responsible dirt bike owners and riders, its the 1% irresponsible losers who wreck it for everybody.

Perfect example in this post .... don't blame the council. Blame the idiot on the bike. Unfortunately the gene pool with always produce these morons.

Environmentalists are wackos in so many areas, but they need the ammunition idiots like this provide. Take away the idiots, will help to keep the areas open.

This has nothing to do with environmentalists ... its a city council.

Thousands of cities has the same form of bi-law.

I know that people try to relate everything to the environmentalists .. BUT the reality its the idiots like in this example who are riding their dirt bikes on city property that are providing them with ammunition.

Nobody wants to see ANY area closed ... but we need to look close the reason areas are closing. It is not because of 99% of people who are responsible dirt bike owners and riders, its the 1% irresponsible losers who wreck it for everybody.

Perfect example in this post .... don't blame the council. Blame the idiot on the bike. Unfortunately the gene pool with always produce these morons.

Environmentalists are wackos in so many areas, but they need the ammunition idiots like this provide. Take away the idiots, will help to keep the areas open.

not every closure is the riders fault.in riverside county a secretary to a county supervisor complained about people riding on their own property so a ban went in limiting noise to 48db and only one rider to every ten acres.

the complaint wasn't the riders fault.

as for the case on the ban in the thread,why punish all for the actions of one.

you don't outlaw cars because a few speed or break other traffic laws.

myself i believe in riders rights,that is why i belong to an off-road club and fight to keep areas open.you on the other hand seem okay with closures.

as for the case on the ban in the thread,why punish all for the actions of one.

you don't outlaw cars because a few speed or break other traffic laws.

myself i believe in riders rights,that is why i belong to an off-road club and fight to keep areas open.you on the other hand seem okay with closures.

Quite the opposite, we are on the same page mostly .. its just that I don't try to justify the actions of idiots. Never have and never will. They are the primary reason a lot of riding areas are shut down, and we turn around and try to lay blame on others.

We both support more riding areas, its I have a "thing on" for the idiots of the sport I guess ... and we all have stories to tell in this regard. :banghead:

I will never endorse or support the 1% of the riders who ruin it for everybody. This is a PERFECT example .... one kid ripping down the street on an 85CC two stroke, and who is getting the blame ... city council. It should be the idiot on the bike.

Until people can focus on the ROOT of the problem rather than protesting the OUTCOME, this crap will continue .....

Edited by supervokes

Quite the opposite, we are on the same page mostly .. its just that I don't try to justify the actions of idiots. Never have and never will. They are the primary reason a lot of riding areas are shut down, and we turn around and try to lay blame on others.

We both support more riding areas, its I have a "thing on" for the idiots of the sport I guess ... and we all have stories to tell in this regard. :banghead:

I will never endorse or support the 1% of the riders who ruin it for everybody. This is a PERFECT example .... one kid ripping down the street on an 85CC two stroke, and who is getting the blame ... city council. It should be the idiot on the bike.

Until people can focus on the ROOT of the problem rather than protesting the OUTCOME, this crap will continue .....

why not just penalize the idiot,

you are right though there is not much difference in our positions buddy:thumbsup:

penalize the idiot, i agree!!! don't just blanket f@%* the rest of us and where are the the little idiots parents in all of this??? Oh i forget the 80cc nanny.

I am fighting this because I am sick and tired of being told what I can and can't do on MY property.

This is a small rural town of about 5000 people hardley even worthy of being called an actual city. Lakeport is 10 minutes from one large BLM riding area and about 25 minutes from another in the Mendocino National Forest.

I fear that this ordinance will spread to the county.

We need to let our local officials know that there is a healthy population of OHV users in our area and that we are willing to fight to keep every riding opportunity open, especially on our own property.

How about the weed eaters, lawn mowers, loud stereos, LOUD Harley's, construction, ect that is just as loud as this kid on his bike?

There is no reason to have a special ordinance just for OHV as there is ALREADY an ordinance that takes care of all of the above.

Fact is they are targeting OHV specifically, and unfairly. The fines are steeper than other ordinances like it.

Just because there are laws like this elsewhere does not mean I should lay down and not be heard. Vote it in(pretty sure it will pass)to my face. In the next election I will vote against all who voted for it.

If more people did this our country would be much better off!

It's just time to make a stand. Its a miniscule battle in the scope of things but damn it, its in my town and they are trying to put an end to my favorite thing to do.

Seriously why do you care?? Do you WANT to ride your bike around on city property or something ???

Seriously, why do YOU care supervokes? He is asking for support because he is concerned he won't be able to operate his bikes on his own property. You live in a housing development, so maybe that's what you picture in your head. I live nearby, and after reading the wording, I am in shock. Good luck, and get the word to as many like-minded people as you can.

Seriously, why do YOU care supervokes? He is asking for support because he is concerned he won't be able to operate his bikes on his own property. You live in a housing development, so maybe that's what you picture in your head. I live nearby, and after reading the wording, I am in shock. Good luck, and get the word to as many like-minded people as you can.

Again by NOT criticizing the idiot riding down the street on an RM85, your going to find it hard to gather support from anybody.

City council is reacting to a complaint (or numerous) and by NOT providing an alternative solution, your not giving them any choice (for instance massive fines for riding on public roads, not outright bans). In essence your endorsing this kids actions by not speaking out against it.

Bi-laws are created because of idiots like this. And as stated above, where are the parents in this instance.

Your losing out because of the kid on the bike ... NOT because of city council. Just don't lose sight of that .... He is the reason your in this mess.

Its these behaviours we all need to target. In this instance the kid or parents are/were too stupid to realize what outcome their actions might have.

I want all riding areas to stay open ... but its going to be a hard fight if people don't step up and speak out against these types of idiots. We need to show that were NOT all like them ... and they only represent the minority. Once people start doing that, the message will get out that the VAST majority of dirt bikers are not a bunch of irresponsible losers and are pretty decent law abiding people (unlike this kid on the RM85 ... and likely his parents).

So go out and protest that the actions of city hall are too excessive ... most people would support that ... BUT you had better propose another solution to address people riding their bikes on public roads ... because thats what started this whole mess. Just protesting the ban without an alternative solution will get you nowhere.

Good luck.

Here is what you really need to do buddy ...

This is coming from a guy who works for a much larger municipal government and has prepared a number of reports that require council approval.

First, you should find a local riding association to provide you with some support (motorcycle association, etc.).

Second, you need to strongly protest what this kid on the 2-stroke 85 cc bike was doing ... in the highest regard. That message has to be VERY clear, otherwise you will have no support from council members.

Thirdly, you need to propose an ALTERNATIVE to the outright ban on ORV vehicles. For instance bi-laws that allow for substantial fines for those who operate ORV's on city streets, etc. THIS IS THE KEY.

Basically the function council is to make decisions. In this instance you have either:

a) Ban all ORV operation in city limits

:worthy: Do not ban ORV operation in city limits

NOW ... which one do you think will address the complaints???

You need to propose an OPTION "C" .. and that is fine those who cannot operate ORV's responsibly and/or who ride them on city streets.

Without a 3rd option for your council to consider, its going to be quite obvious what option they choose.

If there is enough pressure on your council to not adopt an outright BAN on ORV's and there is ANOTHER SOLUTION on the table that is going to address the idiots on these 85 cc 2-strokes ripping down the street, then maybe you have a chance.:banghead:

** Advice straight from the housing development:lol::cheers:

Edited by supervokes

Well here is the thing...........

the kid is riding on roughly a four or five acre parcel that his family owns.I have talked to many people on an adjacent street and everyone I talk to in the area says this kid does it very seldom and when he does its just for a short period of time.

He is totally within the current laws that are in place for all noise and disturbances.

I equate this to someone having there stereo up loud but not loud enough to be against the law. But it is HEAVY METAL the guy is playing! The people in this area of the city hate HEAVY METAL! So they make a law that you can't play heavy metal any more.

That is whats going on here. It isn't about noise. Its about DIRT BIKE noise!

I can't crucify this kid because I happen to be on his side.

Government is out of control at all levels in this country

You cannot ride any off road vehicle on your own property but It is perfectly fine to smoke a pound of weed and get as stoned as possible in california these days, huh .....we have taken a sad direction lately

It is not just the republic of Kalifornia though

There is a rural county in the foothils of the blue ridge mountains here in NC that is attempting to do the same thinmg COUNTY WIDE- Burke county, home of the Steele Creek GNCC and also the comminust county board

Sign in to follow this