Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR250R motor needed

I can't believe it- just went through this with a DRZ400 I bought this time last year. Bought a 2001 CR250R for my 16 year old son with the hopes of having a fairly cheap to maintain great bike. Three trips later, the motor is toast - lots of metal. My mechanic, who I trust, says too expensive to repair. Anyone have a 2001 or compatible CR250 motor they want to sell? I need a complete bottom and top end - need to discuss with mechanic, but I think the stator, flywheel, and carb are OK. Looking for a fair price on a reliable motor.

Thx.

I can't believe it- just went through this with a DRZ400 I bought this time last year. Bought a 2001 CR250R for my 16 year old son with the hopes of having a fairly cheap to maintain great bike. Three trips later, the motor is toast - lots of metal. My mechanic, who I trust, says too expensive to repair. Anyone have a 2001 or compatible CR250 motor they want to sell? I need a complete bottom and top end - need to discuss with mechanic, but I think the stator, flywheel, and carb are OK. Looking for a fair price on a reliable motor.

Thx.

What happened?

Ebay will have 01 motors but they fetch a very high price, over 1000 easy. 92-01 will work but the 97+ have different stator connections and computer etc. I see motors come up in the classifieds here on TT for good prices. Craigslist too is a good place. Ebay will be expensive unless you can find one and bid and hope it doesn't go any higher. Expect to pay 600+. Sounds like the cases cracked. If that's the case then a used motor is a good idea. If the piston cracked and ruined the cylinder and crank it would be cheaper to buy a new crank and used cylinder.

2strokenut,

Thx - you're right, eBay is expensive on the motors - about $1k for most. I think I've found a 99 motor for a decent price - so, if I'm reading correctly, it will install with no mods, no problems and use the same pipe and carb?

2strokenut,

Thx - you're right, eBay is expensive on the motors - about $1k for most. I think I've found a 99 motor for a decent price - so, if I'm reading correctly, it will install with no mods, no problems and use the same pipe and carb?

97-99 used a TPS carb and the 00-01 don't so you can just run your ignition and carb and it should be fine. Should be a very clean swap.

i have a complete '04 motor but unfortunatly it wont fit for you. like mentioned already just check ebay, 1k will get you a decent one. becareful though ebay has alot of pople selling junk.