Sign in to follow this  

Should I do it? 09 for 09

I recently bought a RMZ450. I haven't even ridden the bike yet, it's still in the crate.

I found out a dealership is selling their leftover KTM 250SXF's for 6499$ Canadian.

I could sell my RMZ make money off what I paid for it and pick one of these up.

I really really REALLY love the KTM 250SXFs and how they ride and handle etc. I also know the KTM quality and all that (I still have and ride my 144)

Issue is...I was really excited to ride the big bike class. Not sure if I could handle it, but I'm 6'4 and 207 pounds. 250fs aren't as powerful (but still fast enough) but the issue I think is either maintenance or the fact that everyone and their dog rides 250fs. I'd have to be racing against kids who weigh 120 pounds and nothing I could do can make up the HP/weight ratio.

Thoughts?

They're (250f's) great for skill development, learning how to ride a slow bike fast, carrying corner speed, though it sounds like you already have that with your 144. Your weight's a bit of a liability, but I know plenty of fast heavy riders and slow lightweight riders on all CCs.

I'd like a 250f or small bore two stroke just for practice laps, but I don't haven enough time for all the bikes I have anyways.

Just from a brand perspective (not CCs), I'd go with a KTM over a Suzuki any day. Not anti-Suzuki by any means just pro-KTM over all other brands. Good luck with your decision! Go KTM!

Can you get a good deal on -09 450 SXF instead ? By the way - a friend of mine just broke his RMZ 450 -09 today. Main bearings .. Those are said to be very weak on 450 RMZ´s. I´ve heard about half a dozen of these incidents this year. Low hour bikes . My friends bike had only 20 hrs. on it ..

Any major difference between an 09 250 SXF and an 10? Can you tell the difference when you ride?

Any major difference between an 09 250 SXF and an 10? Can you tell the difference when you ride?
450 yes 250 no

i cant tell the difference on the 09 sxf 250 to the 2010

havnt had a chance to ride the 2010 450

but id deff go ktm, but like someone said try to get the 450

I could get the 09 450 for 6999$ That's not OTD though. Perhaps I could try and haggle.

Though the KTM 450 scares me for some reason.

Alright I did it. I just put that shit up for sale haha.

Now I gotta make the hard decision between 250F or 450.

450 yes 250 no

the biggest difference that I can tell on paper at least, between years, is the 22mm offset on the 2010 vs the variable 18-20mm offset on the 09. Seems significant?

It´s damned significant. Combined with the new frame (10 mm lower by the steering head) it makes the bike both more stable and more agile at the same time.

And the -10 450 has the 5 sp. gearbox.

I don´t know actually. When i ride 250 SXF my main concern is to try keep it going faster forward (i´m used to "big" bikes,remember :-) so the -09 & -10 feel about the same in handling department. Both (all) 250 F´s feel so easy to ride so i probably wouldn´t feel the difference between an -06 and a -10 bike - expect enginewise.

I bought my 08 450 sx-f from blackfoot in calgary in february for $6299 . All said and done(taxes and PDI) it was right around $7000.I got a few shipping quotes around $600, but decided to go pick it up. Im sure they'll be doing the same thing this winter...

Interesting...I forgot about Blackfoot. I should let them know that I have to travel 3.5 hours to see them, and 5 to see Blackfoot. If they make it worth my time, they have my business.

I thought the 09 was a good bike Ville?

I can't really afford the 2010, and would prefer to ride and race the 450 although I loves me the 250F.

I thought the 09 was a good bike Ville?

QUOTE]

And so it is. But the -10 bike (i´m now talking about the 450 SXF here) is better still.

I rode a TR 320 BB bike the other day and that thing felt as light as a 250 but with power close to a 450. I was really surprised at the power delivery because I weigh 205 and expected it to be a dog with my gravity loving body but not so. the kitted bike took less energy to ride then my 450 and I felt like I was riding as fast if not faster then if I was on my bike.

Hmm.

I read MXA's review on the 2010 KTM and they seem to give the idea that it's the 450 winner of the year in their opinions.

I guess the frame and suspension changes made a huge difference.

I wonder if I can talk my mom into paying the difference for the 2010.

For a junior level rider, do you think it would make much of a difference to me? Would I be better off just saving the money and putting that into suspension and oil/gas/track time?

IMO, the 09 is what you should consider. You can save a lot. I've ridden the 09 and the bike worked just fine. Surprised at how well it turned and planted and the motor worked great. Super smooth powerband.

Hmm.

I read MXA's review on the 2010 KTM and they seem to give the idea that it's the 450 winner of the year in their opinions.

For a junior level rider, do you think it would make much of a difference to me? Would I be better off just saving the money and putting that into suspension and oil/gas/track time?

Hmm.

It´s not like we´re comparing apples & oranges here. The -09 is one potent MX bike as well. You´ll be more than fine with it.

I figured as much.

For my level of riding, I don't think it will make me an intermediate overnight.... :banghead:

Suspension and holeshot device it is.

Any must do mods for this bike you've come across KTM expert?