Sign in to follow this  

09 WR450F stock speedo

Just put a GYTR motard kit on my 09 wr450 and the speedo is out by 10 km/h. Does any body know if there is anything i can do to re-adjust the stock speedo with differant gear in the cable or something ?

it tells you how to calibrate the front wheel by percentage based on diameter of your front wheel in the owners service manual. you have to go into a program mode and set it. message back if you need the info. jlow

There is only info about basic mode and race mode in my Australian owners service manual. Any info about how to re-calibrate will be great. Thanks for your reply jlow.

i will try to explain it the best i can and i assume you have the same computer as me. by the way, the sensor is like an auto style, not gear drive. initial value is based on 700mm. 700mm=100%. measure your outside tire diameter. diameter = x. (x/700) x100=z %. you input the percentage into the computer and it calculates speed and distance. easier formula. outer tire diameter/7 = z. example: outer tire diameter = 709mm. 709/7= 101.3%. input 101.3 % into computer. to input the value, push the SLCT1 and RST buttons for 2 secs or more to enter tire diameter set mode. SLCT1 will increase the % and SLCT2 decrease the %. a colon (:banghead: will represent the decimal marker. set your value to your calculated %. when finished, hold SLCT1 and RST for 2 or more secs to finish the setting.

i will assume your % will be smaller than 100 since you did a SM setup and probably have a smaller front tire than stock. let me know how it goes and if this is understandable. couple of shots in and it still makes sense to me, haha. jlow

Your maths explaination was very good. My motard tyre is 580mm dia so the% = 82.857. So i pushed the SLCT1 and RST buttons at the same time for 2 secs and nothing happens. I was upset, tried it a few times still nothing. Must be somthing to do with Australian models.

i am going to bring my bike inside tomorrow to revalve my suspension(will be first time into the stuff, kinda nervous) will play with my computer again and get back to you. i have tried to recalibrate mine once and got into the setup mode, but after checking the settings, which were correct, i realized that i was in km mode and not miles. haha. i can't see there being a difference in our two computers even if yours is in australia and mine in the US. don't quote me on this, but make sure you are in basic mode and not race mode. you may not be able to set tire settings in race mode. just a thought. to switch back and forth hold the SLCT1 and SLCT2 buttons for 2 or more secs.

Thanks for your help jlow. I am looking forward to hearing what you are able to work out. Yes i was in basic mode when i tried it.

slygary, so i just tired it on mine, held the SLCT1 and RST at same time for about 1.5 secs. went into tire setting mode. displayed "100:0C" on top line. nothing else in the display changed. SCLT1 made it go up .1 % at a time and SCLT2 down at .1 % at a time. note the : is the decimal point. after messing with it, held the SCLT1 and RST down again, and it backed out of the tire setting mode. didn't matter whether i was in trip A or trip B. would not work while in race mode. hope this will help, maybe talk to the guys at one of the local dealers. it still wouldn't make sense to me why they would make it different for your bike vs mine. let me know what you find out.

I went to my local dealer and spoke to the service manager and they have never done it before or heard of anybody that has done it. So i went to the local guy at shop called guage works who works on car speedos and other kinds of guages and he has not heard of it being done on a wr450f with this digital speedo. So the end story is yamaha austalia can get stuffed !!!. Must be a differense between Aussie models and US models. So i have bit the bullet and ordered myself one of those trail tech Vapor kit speedos. Anyways thanks for your time and hard work jlow.