Sign in to follow this  

My new '09 450 and hill climbing with it for the first time

Had a nice day riding with my uncle doing some hill climbing on my new CRF450R, he was riding a CR250R. I've only ridden this bike at the track and finally got to do some trail/hill climbing with it.

Here is a video and a few pictures of me climbing this hill. It's not as easy as it looks, it's technical in the middle and at the top, steep, and the dirt is loose and you either make it to the top, or turn around where you stopped/crashed and come down and try again. For me, coming down is worse than going up. Coming down, your rear brake is locked up the whole way and you're using your front brake hoping you can control your speed in the loose dirt - that's the scary part! Since the dirt/soil is loose and soft, it’s impossible to stop once you start your descent. Say a prayer and hold on!

I also wanted to say thanks to all the guys in here for their advice in getting this bike set up.

Video climbing hill:

Video coming down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nppx0Y03_U

View from standing at the bottom:

DSC00743.jpg

A view of the hill from the distance:

watertanker.jpg

Soil (deeper than it looks, slick and nasty):

DSC00732.jpg

another view:

watertanker2.jpg

My uncle in the background:

DSC00713.jpg

My uncle refueling, laundry detergent jugs work great as a backup gas container on long trail rides. Using a 2" military belt, you can strap them to your waist:

DSC00749.jpg

Me on my new 450:

7.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

16top.jpg

Edited by BayAreaRider

VERY NICE !!

I know from shooting a LOT of hillclimbs that video generally makes things look less steep.

This looks steep and challenging on video which means it must be incredibly challenging in real life.

Nice job .. your a great rider and make it look easy. Would love to see that hill first hand.:banghead:

nice climb man, hill climbing has been my favorite thing to do ever since i got my 1st bike, lately ive been hittin the mx track but i still feel nothings more fun than gettin ur bike to the top of a hill ya cant walk up.

Now ur talking my language nice hill, if u want really sick hills there's no better place than Carnegie in Tracy ca!

Now ur talking my language nice hill, if u want really sick hills there's no better place than Carnegie in Tracy ca!

+1! :banghead:

Man that was one long dry hill, Good Job!