What's skinny on ATK/Cannondale cranks?

I've heard diff reasons for why the crank has to be updated and what this entails? So...is it because of a bad balanced crank or one with bad bearings? What's the real story?

The E440 I'm looking at buying for asking price of $2150; the owner says the crank was "checked" and was in good shape. What does that mean?

Is there anyway to check a bike to see if upgrades or crank fixes have been done if the current owner is unsure? I mean, without pulling the crank out?

The only way to tell if a crank has the updated z400 bearing is to remove it and split the crank.

Cannondale cranks came with an inferior stock crank bearing and the later cranks had the balance factor incorrect. The Suzuki z400 big end bearing fits perfect on the Cannondale crank and has more rollers. I pull all my cranks and have them rebalanced and install a z400 bearing in them. There really is a huge difference in a balance crank. Once a crank goes bad, you have to buy a new crank. That is why I always update my cranks first. Great bikes if you are willing to go do all the required updates.

They are not great motocross bikes, but great desert bikes & offroad. Cannondale really blew it by trying to compare them to the crf450's & yzf450s. They had electric start. They should of compared them to Ktm's and other electric start enduros.

Yeah I know ATK quite well. Been to their factory. Drive by it every morning on the way to work. When I was building my ATK 605 supermoto and trying to get it to run correctly got some help from one of their lead Techs: Lee. Very helpful guy, even helped me out at his personal shop.

IMG_0751.jpg

The ATK factory forum is not very active. I've found the best information comes from actually talking to other ATK/Cannondale owners. I'm also a member on Cannondaler.com.

Unfortunately the deal I agreed to with a guy here in Utah fell through when, after agreeing to a price and all, he bailed on me. Loser.

• 3 months later...

If you drive them to destruction you will have to throw another $1000 at to replace all the parts that the crank takes with it. You should also replace the frame as the metal it fills up with will do damage to the next engine you put in it. It is impossible to 100 percent flush a frame full of crank shavings. The actual problem with the cranks was the bearing cage being to loose on crank pin rollers. This caused the cage to rub on the rod and wear grooves in it until journal surface was gone. THe z400 bearing has a different cage that doesnt rub hence they last as long if not longer than any other 450 crank. So a $150 crank update and a few simple checks during a rebuild not only save you a ton of cash down the road but saves you a breakdown when you least expect it.

Balancing had nothing at all to do with how long the cranks lasted.It is helpfull to keep vibration down in the newer cranks as they were not balance machined to perfection as good as the early cranks were.

If I were you, I would look for a non running cannondale and go thru the motor yourself. I just sold a beautiflul non running 2003 x440 Cannondale for $1000.00. Yes it needed a crank, but in the end, the buyer had a completely updated Cannondale for under $1900.00! If you live that close to ATK, I am sure Lee would help you out. Keep looking, and that wasn't the best in town, so don't worry about it.