Chad Reed Quiting MX?

http://motomagazine.co.uk/news/chad-reed-race-wheels.html

Anyone else hear anything about this?

Australia’s best known motocross rider Chad Reed has made the decision to quit motocross in 2011 and move on to race on four wheels rather than two.

Reed will join team Vodaphone and race the V8 sportscar series back in Australia.

“I have tested with Team Vodafone and it is certainly an ambition of mine to drive again,” Reed said. “I have given a lot of thought to coming back and it could be something I do in the next couple of years. I would have to do it properly, which would mean coming through the development series.”

He tested the Team Vodafone Falcon in 2007 and according to current V8 Supercar Series leader Jamie Whincup, will be a natural behind the wheel.

“He has the talent to do it. Chad is a racer. Give him enough time in any vehicle and he will be a success. At the end of the day you learn how to control the throttle, the break and learn about grip and rubber.

“It is the same for a bike or car. Once you have that skill all you need is time. The best will be the best.”

Reed is Australia’s third highest earning sports star, behind golf’s Greg Norman and football’s Harry Kewell. The 2008 BRW report on the Top 50 Sports Earners claimed Reed was worth $8.7million a year.

Australia’s best known motocross rider Chad Reed has made the decision to quit motocross in 2011 and move on to race on four wheels rather than two.

Reed will join team Vodaphone and race the V8 sportscar series back in Australia.

“I have tested with Team Vodafone and it is certainly an ambition of mine to drive again,” Reed said. “I have given a lot of thought to coming back and it could be something I do in the next couple of years. I would have to do it properly, which would mean coming through the development series.”

He tested the Team Vodafone Falcon in 2007 and according to current V8 Supercar Series leader Jamie Whincup, will be a natural behind the wheel.

“He has the talent to do it. Chad is a racer. Give him enough time in any vehicle and he will be a success. At the end of the day you learn how to control the throttle, the break and learn about grip and rubber.

“It is the same for a bike or car. Once you have that skill all you need is time. The best will be the best.”

Reed is Australia’s third highest earning sports star, behind golf’s Greg Norman and football’s Harry Kewell. The 2008 BRW report on the Top 50 Sports Earners claimed Reed was worth $8.7million a year.

Yes, I believe most of the mx industry and a lot of ppl on here have known this for a while now

Yes, I believe most of the mx industry and a lot of ppl on here have known this for a while now

I agree that he's stated he'd be racing cars in the future but he's never set a date that I'm aware of.

The article contained no links to the story. Just wondered if this was a continuation of the rumor or if there is any confirmation from Reed on when he's leaving MX.

No.

Just looking for confirmation.

Wouldn't want you to celebrate prematurely. :banghead:

Here is your confirmation:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-racing/chad-reed-to-swap-his-bike-for-v8/story-e6frfgb6-1225806367509

Me celebrate him quitting? Never! I want him to stick around. He talked about quitting this year if he didn't get paid what he thought he was worth. He has brought it up in the past that he wanted to race cars. So again.....is this really surprising to anyone that has paid attention even the last couple years?

I really tried to like the guy but I just couldn't/can't do it so I went looking for this article that I read. Yes he is a great rider/racer and fun to watch.

From June 2008...disillusioned with the sport and it is not about the money...yet he walks away from Suzi this year. I guess it became more about the money in the last year and a half. Another fav: "he almost quit last year when it became to easy":

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sunday-heraldsun/dirt-bikers-v8-dream/story-e6frf92f-1111116570750

Dirt biker Chad Reed driven by V8 dream

* James Phelps* From: Sunday Herald Sun* June 08, 2008 12:00AM

WORLD Supercross champion Chad Reed will turn his back on $30 million a year in the US to become a V8 Supercar driver.

Reed says he is disillusioned with the sport that has made him Australia's sixth richest athlete and a mega-star in the US.

The two-time world Supercross champion says he would have no problem throwing away his $7.8 million contract and millions more in endorsements to return to Australia to drive a V8 Supercar.

"It isn't about money for me," Reed said. "I have been there and done that. I have made all my money. I can walk away.

``It isn't what makes me tick. If I was to make it (as a V8 Supercar driver), it would be great.

"I would be giving up a lot of money, but there are also things in Australia that you can't put a price tag on - having my mum and dad around, my family, my friends and living in my country. All that stuff is priceless."

Reed revealed he almost quit last year, when it all became "too easy".

His main rival, James Stewart, was injured, leaving Reed to win a number of rounds "without competition", going on to win the 2008 championship.

"This time last year I was just over it," Reed said. "I felt like I had to step away from the sport. I thought motorcycles were over and it was time to move on. But I had one year left on my contract.

"I was really close to quitting. If it wasn't for my wife and my managers, that would have been it. It wasn't fun and I have always said the day it isn't fun is the day I give it away."

The 26-year-old is already negotiating his return to Australia.

Reed said he was deep negotiations with a with a number of Supercar teams and was hopeful of landing a drive by May next year.

"I want to do it soon," Reed said. "I would love the opportunity to get into a car as soon as next year. My race season in the US goes October through to May, and beyond that I would love the opportunity to get in a car and learn the ropes."

Reed said he had been considering a switch since last year when he test drove a V8 Supercar in Brisbane

"Last year, I had an opportunity to spend more time on the track," Reed said.

"I got a rookie drive. They were amazing. They gave me an unbelievable opportunity.

``My lap times were coming together. Immediately I felt very comfortable. But I think I will have to control my own expectations."

^

the rest of the top riders JS, CR, and the others are all about the money too. i am glad some of these new guys or privateers are getting a shot this year and got rides. to many spoiled big ego riders. that is some nerve for him to say that " too easy" lol will see if he will be saying that in a month when he is on the line with JS and RV. i wonder if he thought it was too easy when JS pulled over and let him pass him at Unadilla only to blow right by him again, on a 125 no less lmao

^

the rest of the top riders JS, CR, and the others are all about the money too. i am glad some of these new guys or privateers are getting a shot this year and got rides. to many spoiled big ego riders. that is some nerve for him to say that " too easy" lol will see if he will be saying that in a month when he is on the line with JS and RV. i wonder if he thought it was too easy when JS pulled over and let him pass him at Unadilla only to blow right by him again, on a 125 no less lmao

I don't doubt they want to get paid...ALL of them do....we all do. Spoiled? Maybe. Some of them come from money.....some don't. JS was out that year that Reed said it was too easy..then again it was in the paper and journalist tend to bend some things said every once in a while.

I don't think getting paid what you think you're worth and not being about the money are the same thing. He may not be in it just for the money, but he's also not going to risk injury for less than what he's worth...I don't know what that number is nor do I care. It's a fine line and a blurry one. Just depends on how you look at it. If James thinks his risk should be compensated at $5million a year, is it greed to not race if he doesn't get that amount? Not for me to say...could be viewed either way.

• Like 1

I don't think getting paid what you think you're worth and not being about the money are the same thing. He may not be in it just for the money, but he's also not going to risk injury for less than what he's worth...I don't know what that number is nor do I care. It's a fine line and a blurry one. Just depends on how you look at it. If James thinks his risk should be compensated at $5million a year, is it greed to not race if he doesn't get that amount? Not for me to say...could be viewed either way.

See your signature. :banghead:

How did JS's money get into this? Oh wait..........:cheers:

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. Like him or don't like him but if someone "wants it" more why don't they go take it.

He's no bum and he clearly deserves respect. Even if he has been less than congenial at times he has still had a great career and given us all a lot of great racing to admire...

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. Like him or don't like him but if someone "wants it" more why don't they go take it.

He's no bum and he clearly deserves respect. Even if he has been less than congenial at times he has still had a great career and given us all a lot of great racing to admire...

agreed. there already is room for the other riders, its not like he taking anyone's spot.

i dont know why he would want to race cars. motocross is so much cooler and in my very biased opinion takes more skill.

I kinda think this is a good move on reed's part. Chad's got his championships.

He's still young, maybe it's time to explore other forums of racing. He drove

the V8 supercars what last yr? Maybe someone over their saw some potentail

reed behind the wheel, who knows? "Plus" if he does has "what it takes" to be

competitive racing cars, Chad most definatly could have a longer career in

cars and just maybe, much more lucrative. Of course I'm just speculating.