Leak Down Test - Need Guidance

Bike is a 2000 YZ250 fresh bottom and top end (brand new cylinder,too!). Figured I'd do things right and bought a Motion Pro Leak Down tester. Bit funky because the exhaust side is not round (and the rubber plugs are!), but got things sorted.

Here's the rub, motor will not build pressure. Seems to be pushing the air out of the Powervalve breather...

Should that be pugged, too? Did I forget something when I rebuilt the powervalve that has created a leak?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

I haven't had mine apart so I don't know this for sure but you might have to find a way to prevent air loss around the powervalve linkage too. AV8R could you explain why you might have to run it a couple times?

Edited by hallsy

So, by the time I discover I have a leak, it'll be too late? Gotta be a way to test these things on the bench. Seems like a crapload of air coming out of the powervalve breather. I'm thinking I'll review the seals on that as well as plug it.

So, by the time I discover I have a leak, it'll be too late? Gotta be a way to test these things on the bench. Seems like a crapload of air coming out of the powervalve breather. I'm thinking I'll review the seals on that as well as plug it.

You can test it on the bench or before you run it. It's just that you may note "some" leakage. This can be verified by using soapy water in a squirt bottle to visually see where it is leaking from. It will be very slow and will stop at some point prior to leaking down to zero psi.

As far as the powervalve vent goes, think about it for a second and you'll see that obviously you need to plug that vent. It is a direct line into the cylinder via the powervalve assembly.