KTM EXC 300 or EXC 530???

I am 44 years old and have been riding for over 30 years. I have had many bikes mostly big bore machines. Most recently a Honda 96 Cr 500 and a Honda XR 650 with power up kit. I do alot of serious trail riding as well as a number of enduro's each year. I live in GOLDEN CO and ride the Rocky Mountain Enduro Curcuit. I am down to two choices either the KTM 530 or the KTM 300. I am not sure what bike to choose but am leaning towards the 300 mainly because of the lighter weight and I think it has plenty of power. I am 6'4 240 and get tired quicker than I used to. I have not ridden either bike and would like some feedback as to which bike would be best.

Edited by Esten831

If your performance in races is the primary concern, then the 300 will most likely be the better choice as long as your riding style works with a 2-stroke. It is a much easier bike to ride than your CR500 or even a 250MX bike, but it still is a 2-stroke. There are some guys out there who just can't ride 2-strokes as fast as a thumper (close friend is like this, he's faster on a bone stock KTM450EXC than he was on a YZ250 completely set-up for the woods with FWW, susp, etc...) and if you fall into that category, then the 530 will be the better option. Only you know which suits your riding style better. I will say at 6'4 and 240, you should theoretically have the size/strength to handle the 530. One other thing about the 530, with the adjustable ignition mapping, when set in the soft mode, it really turns into a smooth and tractable pussycat that won't surprise you. A good friend has a 530XC-W and races enduros with his set that way. He only goes with the aggressive setting for play riding and hill climbing.

• 3 weeks later...

My riding buddy had virtually the same situation as you. Similar size & weight, with about 30 years riding experience. He had been riding a KTM 300, but didn't have fun on it unless he was being aggressive with the throttle.

He rode my 450 four stroke (WR) and really liked how much easier it was for all around riding with his family and mine. He does much better on challenging trails too. He ended up buying a CRF450X and really loves it.

I would recommend you get a 450 rather than a KTM 530. Unless you only ride deserts and open trails, the 450 will be a bit lighter with plenty of power. Much less tiring than the two stroke. Either KTM's 450 EXC or XC-W would be a great choice.

The 4 stroke bike for you, especially considering your size and past experience with big bores, has got to be the 530. Note that the 530 and 450 are the same weight. A plus for the EXC version is that it is 50 states street legal from the factory.

I've owned both and both are great bikes. In fact they are my favorite 2 bikes. It comes down to the type of riding you will be doing like Dylans503 said. If you are riding REALLY nasty trails or racing, then the 300 is best. The 300 is noticeably lighter and snappier. In it's element, I don't think there is a better bike than the 300. The 530's range is much broader. The 530 will putt-putt all day with your wife and kids and then flat out haul-ass when you turn the throttle. I think the 530 is the best all around, do everything bike.

I loved my XR650R until I began riding more single track stuff and enduros. I learned real fast that even though I was a fairly healthy 6'4" & 220 guy the bike was just too big, too powerful and had too much compression. All things that tire you out on a tight trail ride or especially an enduro. That thing was awesome on fire roads and even 2 track. But after riding a buddy's KTM380 I knew I had to get on a KTM300 soon. I sold the XR and bought a clean 2003 KTM300EXC in 2006 and haven't regretted it once.

Fatigue is a huge factor for me. I would be done after 25 miles of single track on the 650, but now on the 300 I can do 35 and feel like I have plenty left in the tank. I realize the 650 is 40-50 lbs heavier than the 530, but the bikes pull and engine brake very similar. I don't crash much so the 650 tired me out mostly from holding on and engine braking. The high compression 4st has to be figured into the mix. Now with the 2st I can roll along if I chose. Sure, I go thru brakes quicker than the XR, but that's why they make them! :moon: If you like 2strokes then the 300 will not disappoint you. You can ride it hard like a 125 or chug it all day long, either way. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guy's,I'm back.I finally made my choice. When I first posted I made a mistake when I said "EXC". I mean't to say "XC" but they are still basically the same bikes minus the road legal stuff. Anyhow I bought the 2010 KTM 300 XC-W 300. I absolutely love it the only complaint I have is with the suspension mainly the forks. They are harsh and seem more suited for agressive motocross, but I can fix that. I will post a new thread in the suspension forum as I am looking for a local person who is good at setting up the suspension for woods and enduro work. Thanks to all who responded to my post and I will get back to you after this weekend after the harescramble I will be doing. Thanks again. E.J.

Hi guy's,I'm back.I finally made my choice. When I first posted I made a mistake when I said "EXC". I mean't to say "XC" but they are still basically the same bikes minus the road legal stuff. Anyhow I bought the 2010 KTM 300 XC-W 300. I absolutely love it the only complaint I have is with the suspension mainly the forks. They are harsh and seem more suited for agressive motocross, but I can fix that. I will post a new thread in the suspension forum as I am looking for a local person who is good at setting up the suspension for woods and enduro work. Thanks to all who responded to my post and I will get back to you after this weekend after the harescramble I will be doing. Thanks again. E.J.

you think the XC-W forks feel harsh? i'm 145 pounds and ride single track and i think they're way to soft without some work.

you think the XC-W forks feel harsh? i'm 145 pounds and ride single track and i think they're way to soft without some work.

That was my thought, good thing he got the W and not the XC model..... Valving work is still a good thing regardless, should make his new bike a weapon in the woods.

I rode the harescramble this weekend and I love the bike. I was to hasty in saying the forks were to harsh, after riding it more aggressively this weekend I found out they are actually to soft. I will still get them reworked but definately need to stiffen them up.

I rode the harescramble this weekend and I love the bike. I was to hasty in saying the forks were to harsh, after riding it more aggressively this weekend I found out they are actually to soft. I will still get them reworked but definately need to stiffen them up.

That makes more sense, I think you will find that the stock valving on the XCW's are pretty dang good. For sure get new springs and if after that you still feel it needs work then go for it....:banghead: