Sign in to follow this  

First Oil Change 2008 CRF450R

I made the jump to a four stoke and had a few questions about changing the oil in my bike. First of all i would like to know what you gentlemen are using for oil in crankcase and transmission. I read the manual and am a little confused, It says run Honda oil in motor and trans. While I owned my two stoker I was religious on running Spectrum in trans but I don't know much about these bad ass thumper motors any info is greatly appreciated. Was thinking of running amsoil 10w40

Congrats on the new bike. I have a 08 as well. I use Rotella 15-40 on both sides. I run 750cc on each side along with new filter after every ride. Some will say thats to often, others will do the same. The Honda Thumpers love fresh clean oil and run great. I pick up my oil at Sams club or Wal Mart for about 10 bucks a gallon. Have fun with it.

For break in, I used Honda's GN4 10w40 in the crank. Now I'll use HP4M 10w40 there and continue using HP Trans in the clutch side.

I changed both before I rode it the first time. Rode it 1.5 hours (MX) changed both and the filter. Rode it another hour before a soil sample and changed both and the filter once again. Now I'll change them both with filter every 5 hours or so (700cc's both sides). Buy an hour meter. :cheers: Also, pick up some HiFlo HF116 oil filters from ebay. Much cheaper than OE but just as good if not better.

Congrats on the new bike! :banghead:

+1 for Rotella 15w40 on both sides. I change every 3 rides or so. Like fiveboyces mentioned, they like frequent oil changes and the stuff is cheap (as far as oil is concerned). Rotella has robust additive package and will protect your engine well.

if ya got money to burn then amsoil in the engine and amsoil in the trnas.....but being they get changed out every 5 or so hours.....rotella is the best economical choice.....its a great oil many people have ran it over the years with no trouble.....i run it on rekluse clutches because rekluse told me so

Thanks for the info, That rotella 15w40 you fellas are talking about I ran it in my old diesel, is this the same stuff you are talking about? Also jcross312 I like the idea of the stainless oil filter do you also have the magnetic cover they sell as a kit and how do you like it? Next time around I will be putting one in.

Thanks everyone for you know-how and im sure I will be back around with more questions about the bike. I guess I did not know what I was getting myself in to with this 450 thanks

Ive heard bad things about the stainless steel filters? they let alot of things filter pass back through into the engine

I use the gold bottle (honda gp4) for the clutch side i noticed others said to use it during break in? i have an 08 well pass break in period is it bad to use the gold bottle still?

+1 for Rotella 15w40 on both sides. I change every 3 rides or so. Like fiveboyces mentioned, they like frequent oil changes and the stuff is cheap (as far as oil is concerned). Rotella has robust additive package and will protect your engine well.

is this 15w40 a full synthetic or not?

I run Amsoil 20W-50 in the motor and Amsoil 10W-30 in the tranny. I change the engine every 3 rides and the tranny every ride. I've never had any motor failur using Amsoil, so I live by this brand. :moon::thumbsup: