I sat on the 2010 YZ450F today! (WHITE)

Bike of the Year is meaningless? So what the magazines say are meaningless? But you were actually the first person in this thread to regurgitate exactly what MXA said so it must mean something.

yes BOTY is meaningless these days but what magazines say is there opinion based on the riders test results....my experience was similar to MXA's ...this is all I am saying

And how do you know if the 2010 Yamaha has less (or more) "issues" than the Honda? Because you read about the Hondas "issues" in MXA? So now the magazines aren't meaningless because MXA were the main ones with Honda issues?

because the bike is just released the honda has been out a year. No not MXA for the Honda...but many owers I personally know and my own riding experiences on it. Again magazines are yet another source of info...take it for what it is worth...

You'll find dozens of guys on TT that love their Honda and thousands or more beyond it but that isn't really the point. I just say that because I don't think they have issues with the Honda.

So I guess they aren't meaningless?

And in 1 year you will see dozens of yami 2010 owners that love their ride and thousands or more that also luv them. But you will also see many that do not rave about them either...just happens to be reality.

Finally Aaron if you want to look at what Bike of the Year and what Mags say to be the Holy Grail....this is your business. I just added my 1.25cents on my ride experience on a 100% stock 2010 yami 450....again a great bike but it did have some things to sort out for my taste. I have never owned any bike that did not have something to sort out...and most importantly Aaron I have never spent 8k-9k on a 100% stock MX bike. This I have a huge problem with my friend, especially if it take 1-2 grand or more to get it right for my taste....and then it is worth doo doo in 1-2years.....believe me I already have 2 in my basement that I spent thousands on that are now worth less than Doo Doo :moon:

good riding

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. I for one am board of the negative make myself feel better for not getting one comments. Congrat's to eveyone that did buy one.

Agreed congrats to everyone that bought one. It is a fantastic new designed bike. I am not trashing it - it

is a great bike...I can not wait to ride one again and see what gets better next year.

Did you read my post? I was merely asking Ga426 why he says the magazines don't count but then spews the MXA article word for word to point out the negatives about the 10.

So for the record, I own an 09 Honda and I love it. I could care less what MXA or any magazine says. I popped over here to read about the 10 Yamaha because I think its a really, really cool bike...in doing so I'm seeing the same stuff that happened last year with the Honda. And that's people taking their time just to pass off negative comments from a magazine as their own to put the bike down. Then everyone keeps chopping up my post to one sentence about "so the magazines don't count" or whatever and commenting on just that sentence. My whole point was who cares what the magazines say.

And if someone were to read the whole thread they would see that I was defending the 2010 YZ450 and the people that buy them (ha, ha). The bike is gonna be great...

I am happy you luv your 09 Honda.....it also is a great bike with several shortcomings for me.. :moon:

I agree Magazines are not the Holy Grail of info....wait did I repeat myself enough? Weren't you just questioning what is and is not meaningless? Now you seem to have flip flopped....

I guess for the first time ever in my life, my spewing was almost exactly what MXA experienced.....:cheers:

Sour Grapes? the cost of it and the fact that one is not in my basement ?

my sons 450 arrived today.he really thinks he is going to like it.he rode a little but our track was muddy,he mostly rode the bike on some trails and in somm grassy fields.the first thing he said after ridind it in the trails was"it feels like a bicycle under me"irode it up some trails and it is a different fell than any bike i have ridden.i think trail riders would love it,it handled graet on tight trails.hopefully my son will get it on a track soon and see what it is really like.

ive been ridin my 10 around my house all week. love the power! :moon: its 15 degrees here with snow on the ground but the local track aint too bad. i have gone threw a few snow banks and ill tell ya what, this thing finds a way to hook up to somethin cause the front end was still poppin up!:cheers: im hittin the track tomoro and sturday and will be takin my 05 yz250f along with too... (obviously it wont be for comparisons haha) ?

I am happy you luv your 09 Honda.....it also is a great bike with several shortcomings for me.

And if you are coming off an 06YZ 450, you'd think the 09 Honda was the lightest, best turning bike with an amazing engine to match. Only shortcomings are valid with points of comparison. In comparing it to the 2010 YZ, the shortcomings were welcome.

Well first of all I want to congratulate you on your switch to Blue Blood. I came over from Honda in 06 and haven't regretted it. I have had a 06,08,09, and then another 09 which I just bought. This is the first year that I haven't bought the latest and greatest, due to my personal decisions. I first want to say that I'm not knocking the 2010 Yamaha YZ450F. It's a beautiful bike and I was in line to get one. In my own eye I just couldn't justify the extra money when there are 09's out there for almost half the money. So here it if it came out wrong SORRY. I didn't mean this to be thread on bashing the new kid on the block! All respects! I hope everyone on TT and friends have an enjoyable Christmas and thanks for all of the help I received this year! See you at the track.:cheers:

Thanks, I didn't make myself clear. I've had blue blood since 01, I've just been in the yz250f forum until now :moon:

Tuner arrived today, now to figure out how it works... Since a few people have said the bottom end is fierce, I wonder if I should choose a traction setting for running in and getting used to it?

And if you are coming off an 06YZ 450, you'd think the 09 Honda was the lightest, best turning bike with an amazing engine to match. Only shortcomings are valid with points of comparison. In comparing it to the 2010 YZ, the shortcomings were welcome.

I am still on my 06 and still liking it Rickk...I should be, as it is modified specifically for me and my riding style.

I agree the 09 honda is light, does turn easier but in the power dept I much prefer my 06 as well as in the suspension dept, it blows the Honda away.

Is my 06 preferred over a Blu 2010? Nope but not for the >8k price and what I would have to spend on it afterwards to make me happy.....now I will tell you I looking forward to some seat time on a 2010 CRF.... to see what is better than 09

That is unless you don't have it, Or your just to cheap.....Or of course it could be that your just to slow to notice anything on a bike and it's characteristics. but if your not in any of thoses catagory's and you race even semi seriously then it's well worth paying more, And unless you paid $3999 otd I didn't pay $3500 more for it :cheers:

Viable points. You forgot the most important point! Maybe we're just smarter and realize that in 6 months we will be able to buy the bike much cheaper. I would be willing to line it up and race you on your 2010. Its not the bike, it's the rider.:moon:

You got that right; it's the rider not the bike.

There are plenty of guys that could whup-up on us (OK not ALL of us) even if they were riding '98s much less '08s!

Viable points. You forgot the most important point! Maybe we're just smarter and realize that in 6 months we will be able to buy the bike much cheaper. I would be willing to line it up and race you on your 2010. Its not the bike, it's the rider.:thumbsup

!

Nobody know what the price will be in six months. I paid $7400 for a white bike so if it's $6995 in six months, big deal. Does that make anyone smarter? No, it just means you got your bike six months later and saver $400 bucks.

I'll agree that the 09's are a steal right now but they just aren't that different than the 06 that I had. I just cant see buying an 09 when you really want the 2010. :moon:

Edited by OTHG_MIKE

Thanks, I didn't make myself clear. I've had blue blood since 01, I've just been in the yz250f forum until now :moon:

Tuner arrived today, now to figure out how it works... Since a few people have said the bottom end is fierce, I wonder if I should choose a traction setting for running in and getting used to it?

I would. Enjoy that thing. I'll have a 201? one day! God Bless

Viable points. You forgot the most important point! Maybe we're just smarter and realize that in 6 months we will be able to buy the bike much cheaper. I would be willing to line it up and race you on your 2010. Its not the bike, it's the rider.:moon:

You got that right; it's the rider not the bike.

There are plenty of guys that could whup-up on us (OK not ALL of us) even if they were riding '98s much less '08s!

And to add to this. If there is anyone on this board that couldn't beat me (there has to be a few, lol) riding any brand 450, properly setup, from the last 6-7 years, then buying a 2010 of any bike certainly wouldn't allow them to suddenly be able to do so.

Now I fully expected you GreyRacer to respond and you have some valid points...

I was kidnapped last weekend and threw a leg over it and spent about 20min X 2 sessions on a blue one last weekend...I could care a less what MXA says - but they were 95% dead on with my ride report after the first 20mins on it.

I thought the gear spacing was different than my 06 and any 07-09 I rode...it needs another tooth or 2 in back. Especially between 2nd and 3rd...in deep loam.

The EFI - issue for me is that the throttle is almost too sensitive in the first 1/4 of movement(I know ... where is the bog...nope thank god this is gone) it is just too sensitive as a slight twist from the beginning causes a almost too big a gain, it needs to be smoother like the last 3/4 turn offers, if this makes any since...this is great on the starting line this is hairy in tight corners or grabbing some throttle...

The vibration - I am spoiled I guess, the 06 is butter smooth compared to this....the 2010 vibration is not quite as noticeable as my 470 Bigbore but it is there...needs more counterbalancer I think.

I think 6 bolts and lifting the gas tank up to access the filter is overkill sorry.(this is the cluster I refer to) If you can do it in 3mins....you need to apply to JGR Racing...they need you. :cheers: (Grey to your point it will stay cleaner...but seems there could be a better system to it)

POWERWISE, It just seemed to me that it was slightly starved for more air....like the old days when you would take the metal air filter cover off your 72 pontiac and flip it over for more air and you thought it got faster....Sorry only over 40yr olds will get this :moon:(it did not feel underpowered it just felt clogged up to me)I assume this is why the Proteams are opening up air holes? A pipe would be my first purchase also to add a little more punch.

But in fairness here is what was stellar - the suspension is by far the best out of the box OEM I have ever felt.

The ability to lay it down to corner - it does carve a heck of a lot better, probably better than any other Yami 4smoker

, and the ergos were almost perfect while riding. The bike flies extremely well -probably better than any other ride I have ridden...

You actually could not feel the extra weight while riding...you can feel it trying to pick it up

another little complaint:

I do however absolutely hate the hole under the seat .... it does collect some dirt and just seems plain stupid to me why there is no cover over it on both sides..it looks hokey.

Now again I will say this....it is brand new..the hype is there and the dealers will bone you on hype...reality is this....when the hype is gone....do you want to be left knowing that the 8-9k bike you just had to be the first 10 in line to have is only worth 40-45%(being conservative -it will probably be more) after 12-18mos, and then worth even less as you approach 2yrs? Sorry not me....

I think the 2010 is a really unique and very very good bike. But IMHO Yami has some work to do on this bike to refine it....but like every first year attempt this is the case, just seems like this year there is more to address....thankgoodness a new bike is not on my list this year.

every bike has a flaw............but, those mentioned are easily fixable and for pretty cheap........one thing you cant fix is a bad turning or handling bike or if you can make improvements it gets real expensive but still will not cure it.......since yami finally has a good handler among other cool things i would call it good........buy a tuner and pipe and the gearing issue would prolly be solved and call it good.....air filter access?..seriously... BFD........now try fixing a bad chassis and you would wish you only had an air filter problem

air filter is not an issue,thers 4 more bolts to take out that are easy to get to.once your there its much easier that taking the filter out,no cage to clean and put back in.you just lay it in there put the cage on top and buckle it in.i do wonder about the air supply,im not sure you couldnt make som mods to get a little more air in.we ar going to wait and ride the bike when its dusty and see how bad it gets.if it doesnt get to bad i think you could drill some holes in the back side of the shroud intake ad help.