Sign in to follow this  

Bought a lemon!!

Like the title says, I bought a lemon, a 94 XR600. I'm not sure the oil had ever been changed in this Pig, just added to when it would all leave the supertrap in the form of smoke! I'm lookin at a $2,300 parts list ($2000 if I rebuild the crank) Does anybody know of a place, either overseas or in the states where I can buy a running/used motor. Or the names of any good motorcycle/Honda boneyards. I'm in Southern California, but pretty positive I can get just about any place to UPS just about anything. Thanks guys, hope to hear back from a bunch of ya! Iggie

Like the title says, I bought a lemon, a 94 XR600. I'm not sure the oil had ever been changed in this Pig, just added to when it would all leave the supertrap in the form of smoke! I'm lookin at a $2,300 parts list ($2000 if I rebuild the crank) Does anybody know of a place, either overseas or in the states where I can buy a running/used motor. Or the names of any good motorcycle/Honda boneyards. I'm in Southern California, but pretty positive I can get just about any place to UPS just about anything. Thanks guys, hope to hear back from a bunch of ya! Iggie

Iggie i hope ya got it cheap:banghead:

Sorry i can`t help ya,but good luck to you...:moon:

Brian

$2300! Wow that's a lot. Is that an estimate for labor as well,or just parts? I have a hard time understanding how the parts could be that much.

That included machine work and clutch as well. Ya, pretty pricey! Cracking that thing open it reaked of toasted oil, now I'm hoping the tranny is OK

Chokey, you're totally right! The bike had huge balls right up to the point it crapped out on me. I'll bring it back

I just saw a 650L motor go for under $650 on fleabay. It looked beat though to be honest. The seller couldn't even be bothered to clean it.

I bet you could fix that thing so it would run great for under $1000 if you did it yourself. Much lower if your bearings are still tight.

I did that a few years ago, I had 2100 in parts alone.

I feel your pain.......I'm still kickin myself over it...:moon:

I have a 2000 XR600 with about 150 original miles on it--literally like new. I's sell the engine alone (all electronics, kickstart and shift lever, but no carburetor) for $1750. Whole bike, street licensed and ready to go for $2800.

I have a 1988 XR600 with about 1500 miles since new that I'd sell the engine alone (same as above) for $1250. Whole bike ready to go, street licensed for $1995.

Both are near perfect, have lots of accessories and need absolutely nothing.

If you're not mechanically inclined I can understand the ridiculous rebuild cost. If you can work on it you can cut the cost to less than $1000 easily. If it is that bad then make it a parts bike and buy another bike in better shape.

Good luck to you, man. Buying a lemon sucks. Worst thing I ever bought was a '78 Jeep Wagoneer. The price was right- or so I thought... The thing was a money pit. In just a few months time it blew the rear main, the transfer case and the water pump. This was on top of the fact that it needed a new driveline, rear window motor and frame, spring shackles and bushings, power steering pump, and tires. If all that wasn't bad enough, I was having trouble keeping steady pressure on the accelerator when I had a passenger riding with me. Turns out there was a 3 foot rust hole in the drivers floorboard which the carpet had sagged through, and every time the passenger moved their feet, it would move mine. At one point I was ready to set the vehicle on fire.